The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Beauty or Brains?

Which would you rather have?

Suppose you had to decide between having a genius-level IQ and being a solid 5 on the looks scale or having an 1Q of 100 but being a 10+ in looks?

I used to be glad I'm smart...now, after the last few years, I would happily trade my IQ to be beautiful. I see too many people getting good jobs, good husbands, etc. on looks than on brains. I thought being smart would be an advantage in the world...now I know that it means nothing. But it sure looks like beautiful people have an easy time of it compared to the average ones. I kind of wish I could trade sometimes, especially when I see the type of people who get the majority of the jobs I want. I work with a lot of them as a freelance writer...believe me, it wasn't their brains or ability that got them hired. I grew up being told (and stupidly believing) that if you were smart and worked hard, you could achieve anything. Now I know that's not true. Would anyone else give up brains for beauty? Or would anyone do the opposite?

6 members found this post helpful.

Brains. Why? Because unless you are really sorry looking, which is really, really rare, with proper hair styling and dress, an average looking person can look dashing enough. Most people who look drab are really people who let themselves go or don't know how to dress.

On the other hand, if you don't have a brain, well, you are very much screwed.

23 members found this post helpful.

Brains. They probably got me Mr P. He was a pre senior in college when we met. I was a freshman and the first woman he dated more than once or twice. Probably because I had brains.

He was top of his class in chemical engineering, now works in the nuclear power field.

I didn't know I had any brains in catholic HS. The nuns were always telling me how bad I was. I will be forever grateful to the University of Louisville for showing me that I wasn't stupid
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

4 members found this post helpful.

I understand...I would probably trade IQ points to be slim and pretty. Smart and hard work don't get you very far and they definitely don't get you smart + attractive in a partner.

1 members found this post helpful.

Brains. 5 isn't bad- not like disfigured.

I've read that beautiful people are more lonely because others are intimidated by them. I don't know that I consider myself to be "beautiful" by society's standards necessarily, but I do work as a model and this phenomenon isn't foreign to me. People are more friendly and likely to approach me when I've just rolled out of bed to go to the gym or the store than when I'm dressed and made up in full modelling attire.

On the other hand, I often find myself impressed by people who may not be the best looking but have other traits that I find attractive (ie intelligence). So I don't think beauty is everything at all, but in some cases it does give a slight advantage (interviews/first impressions mostly).

2 members found this post helpful.

I prefer this approach! Picking one or the other is tough, but I could trade a few brain cells for more looks under the theory that the brain cells have thus far been more than adequate, so I could probably afford to survive with fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I understand...I would probably trade IQ points to be slim and pretty. Smart and hard work don't get you very far and they definitely don't get you smart + attractive in a partner.
    Worked for me
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Brains hands down. One can always buy a beauty makeover.

I've always figured stupid beauty is better. After all, more than one study has clearly demonstrated that, in general, stupid people don't know they're stupid. But, smart people know if they're not attractive.

14 members found this post helpful.

Brains.
    Why?
    Because you can change your looks. If you're dumb as a sack of hair, you can't go buy yourself a higher IQ.

There's dieting, surgery, working out, cosmetics, spanx, professional styling, etc. There's a million ways to improve your looks if looks are that important.

However in many to most cases...I think the biggest benefit would be an enormous boost in self esteem. Beauty/being attractive is just as much how you carry yourself and your self image as it is cosmetic.

It's so unfortunate that many females have such self image issues. We're our own worst critics.

Beauty, the type that catches peoples' eyes all the time, has a lot more to do with wrapping the package rather than what the box is shaped like.
    And by wrapping I mean: learning how to dress right for your body, getting the best hairstyle/cut/color for you, correct use of cosmetics. AND: walk into rooms like you mean it. Attitude. You're here, you have no fear and you don't care!

Stop judging ourselves against the media's portrayal of women.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

8 members found this post helpful.

"Beauty fades, but dumb is forever" ~ Judge Judy

Give me brains any day.

13 members found this post helpful.

You can fix ugly, but not stupid. Now I would give up some of my IQ points to not have my father's metabolism! I'm not god awful looking, still below average http://s297.beta.photobucket.com/use...6cb4e.jpg.html
    But after I drop my 70lb , I plan on saving up for a nose job , a boob job , and getting my lips done.

Because like I said at the end of the day you can fix your looks, but not improve your IQ

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    I've always figured stupid beauty is better. After all, more than one study has clearly demonstrated that, in general, stupid people don't know they're stupid. But, smart people know if they're not attractive.
    There is some truth to that.
    Studies show that the higher in the intelligence scale some are, the more discontent they experience with life in general.
    The studies didn't go on to find out why and of course not all are unhappy, no matter where they fit in that scale.

How about both, brains and beauty?

why does "Anne of Green Gables" shoot to the front of my mind?
    Early on in the story, when she's being driven (by horse & buggy) to her new home she asks Matthew Cuthbert, "Have you ever imagined what it must be like to be divinely beautiful? Oh, I have often. Which would you rather be? Divinely beautiful, or dazzlingly clever, or angelically good?"

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

This made me laugh!

Turn it around...would you rather go out with a guy with a sculpted bod and amazingly handsome or someone who can't carry on a conversation past the latest sports scores?

Brains for me please. I love being smart. But if I were dumb, I wouldn't know it, and I'd still think I was smart

I have a friend who is extremely attractive. And smart. Most guys are intimidated by her, most gals see her as a threat. It's been tough for her sometimes.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Turn it around...would you rather go out with a guy with a sculpted bod and amazingly handsome or someone who can't carry on a conversation past the latest sports scores?
    LOL, but would I rather lack any cognitive ability beyond the latest sports scores?

If I can't have an intelligent companion I would like to have an active brain to amuse myself. Stupid is as stupid doesn't
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    You can fix ugly, but not stupid... I'm not god awful looking, still below average http://s297.beta.photobucket.com/use...6cb4e.jpg.html
    Oh please you're just being dumb now! Just kidding but it kinda bugs me how people put themselves down and feel they're not pretty. Compared to who? A model. You are pretty, so best to just accept it. (Not trying to be weird and definitely NOT flirting (I'm female), but you did post a pic for all to see...)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!