The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cresty neck in a very overweight horse

What is the experience out there with cresty necks in horses that have developed in conjunction with serious weight gain? Is it possible to eliminate a cresty neck through management of feed and exercise ?

Yes! Cresty necks can be diminished with diet and exercise. From your description, this horse is a candidate for both ASAP.

Other than appearance there are some major health problems associated with overweight cresty horses.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Not to be a "Chicken Little"(OMG the sky is falling), but I would treat a cresty neck as a serious sign of a metabolic issue. Be very careful and watch for signs of laminitis. Diet management, feed choices and exercise are essential. Check with your vet.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would take the cresty neck to be a sign that there is a little more than just extra weight happening, and to start treating the horse as if there is a metabolic problem. (And maybe testing for IR)

Yes, the cresty neck will go away with diet, but not just by reducing calories. My pony does not have a cresty neck, but does have metabolic issues, and thus some abnormal fat padding. Only once I properly balanced his diet, and got his metabolic issues under control, did I notice a change in the fat deposits.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

If you have a very over weight horse then you need to eliminate the weight not just on the neck but over the entire body.

I had an obsese mare about 8 years ago and I worked hard to get her down to an acceptable weight.....during the time she was obsese she had a cresty neck and tested positive for IR......she is now lean over the barrel but still has some underlying fat pockets but her neck it not cresty......and I suspect that she is no longer IR.

Horses that are very overweight can have significant health issues........the worst one being is laminitis.......its hard on their joints.

I know my girl who used to just stand around in her pasture ...she now gallops around bucking and carrying on when she was fat she never did that.........so I know she is much happier.....she is also a much better ride as she had more energy.

Dalemma

Depending on the severity of the crest. My mare had a pretty bad one that is completely gone now that she is at a normal weight. Some that are severely obese even when the weight is managed may still have the cresty lumps right at the center --kind of like the cellulite look on human legs after weight is lost?