The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I interviewed a women for the bar that I work at last night. I do pre-screenings before they go see the manager and I get some interesting folks.

Last night I had a women come in and tell me about how she worked as a dancer at a topless bar so she should be perfect for brining in tips. I asked her if she had ever bar tended, which was the position she was trying to get, and she replied, "Nah, but I drink a ton so I know all the liquors and sort of how to make drinks"

I thanked her and said that she was not exactly right for the position because we needed someone with experience. She got enraged and started cussing at me about how I was against topless dancers and blah blah. Bouncer carted her away. Another day in interviewing paradise.

I have a friend who was asked by the person interviewing her how much she would pay to work there. It was an internship job at a small law firm. She left and found a job elsewhere.

I guess I have been lucky in the job search. Never a bad interview *knock wood*
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Here are a couple of bad responses I've got during interviews I conducted:

Said to the candidate:
    "What would you consider your greatest strength to be?" and "What is an area that you would like to work on for further development?

The candidate's response?
    "I hate those kinds of questions"

and another:
    "Tell us about a time when you solved a challenging technical problem".

The candidate did give a decent response, but it contained a couple of expletives. Not professional!

Bad/unpleasant interviews I've had:

Creepy: a company flies me out for an interview, books two nights of a hotel, pays for a rental car, meals, etc. I go in and meet with the hiring manager for what ended up being only a 1/2 hour interview. There were a lot of people in the office milling about, but not only do I not get introduced to any of them, there are no further interviews. I spent the next day just enjoying myself in the area, which fortunately, was very nice. A few days later they called to offer me the job. weird!

Exhausting: I had one interview that started at 7am and went all the way until 8pm. They didn't give me any breaks. They had me talking non-stop. By the time dinner rolled around, I could hardly talk and in fact, was starting to lose my voice. It cracked everytime I tried to say something. It was awful.

HJalter, the exhausting experience is typical for academic job searches, which tend to be multi-day affairs with meetings with students, faculty, and chairs (and sometimes administrators thrown in just to make things REALLY stressful). Someone is assigned to be your "keeper" and they pick you up from the airport and shuttle you from one horrible meeting to the next. You are grilled, picked, and prodded apart, and if you survive, you get to do the whole thing over again at another institution (if you are lucky, so that you have a CHOICE of places to work). It's a horrid system.

I was asked if I was married, I replied that I was not. I was then asked "do you sleep with woman". I replied that no, I am heterosexual.

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    I was asked if I was married, I replied that I was not. I was then asked "do you sleep with woman". I replied that no, I am heterosexual.
    WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    WOW.

Those questions are illegal, at least in the US. Companies can get into serious trouble by asking questions related to marital status, sexual orientation, age, etc.

The only time I was ever asked something of a personal nature was when I applied for a security clearance. They could basically ask just about anything they want and they did. I got asked questions about the guys that I dated and even after that they still asked my references what my sexual orientation was.

Now I've heard it all!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by HJalter123 View Post
    Those questions are illegal, at least in the US. Companies can get into serious trouble by asking questions related to marital status, sexual orientation, age, etc.
    This was when I was applying for a residency spot in OB/GYN. At the time I was applying, the spots were very competitive. The way the interview days went, there would be a group of 6-8 applicants and you spend the day touring, breaking apart for interviews, back together for lunch, breaking apart for interviews....

We were all together toward the end of the day telling our war stories. One of the other applicants said I should complain. I was planning on ranking the program (we rank the programs, the programs rank us, this info gets computerized and you find out where you end up at match day). He said all the more reason to complain.

Anyway, I ended up writing the typical thank-you letter, but included a paragraph stating that I did have a problem with one of my interviews. I quoted that part of the interview. I went on to write that I did not think Dr X was being judgmental, but that it made the interview awkward and I did not want to be penalized for any awkwardness.......well within 48 hours of mailing the letter I had the Medical director of SUNY Syracuse calling me personally.

So in the long run, it was actually very helpful as I knew I would match in Syracuse and was able to cancel some expensive trips to less prestigous programs (FWIW ended up at Dartmouth where my sexual partners mattered not)

The best one I have wasn't an in-person interview, but a questionnaire.

I was looking to move to be closer to my then-boyfriend (now DH) and was looking for anything that would pay me enough to live on and not make me want to kill myself. I applied for a job as an admin/marketing/everything else person for a small start-up company that produced organic, vegan snacks. I thought it would be a good experience to see a company start from the ground up, and the fact that it was a little "off-beat" was really appealing. So I sent in my resume and cover letter to the owner of the company, and he sent me back a questionnaire to fill out before he called me in for an interview.

They were standard interview questions to weed out the unsuitable applicants before having them come in for an in-person interview, which I appreciated. Until I got to this one:

Would you describe yourself as a vegan evangelist?

I paused for a moment, and then burst out laughing. And gave some BS answer about how I eat meat, but completely respect the vegan lifestyle.

Needless to say I didn't get called for an interview.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

A long time ago at another job we only hired part-timers, and at a certain grade. People were told at the time of the interview, and at the time they were offered the job that the grade was always going to be the same, and that it would always be part-time, and with a limited number of hours. A woman went through the interview process, was told this, said she understood, and was offered the job. When she came in on the first day she asked when she would get promoted, and when she would be full-time again. Guess how well she worked out?

At my first job the boss actually asked a female applicant if she had children, and if she planned to have any. I just about passed out from shock.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Having been in the "rat race" for a fair number of years, I've heard a few good ones and have been there before there were any banned questions so I've been asked if I was married, if I planned to have children, what church I went to, how I spent my Sundays (that one I told him it was none of his damn business), how old I was, etc, etc. Never did get asked about my sexual orientation though, that is a real doozie.

Oh wait, I just thought of my worst interview. It was actually for a barn manager of a pretty good sized operation and really nice. We were discussing salary and every number I threw out there was too much. Basically he was looking for someone who would work for free because I was asking peanuts and it was still too much. I heard he finally did hire someone who in exchange for living quarters, worked for nothing. Screw that.

Can't stand those strengths/weakness questions. Come on, get some new material.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    The best one I have wasn't an in-person interview, but a questionnaire.
    I applied to a job at the Cheesecake Factory and they had a several page, darken-the-circle scantron questionnaire.

I distinctly recall one of the questions was:

"Do you run up the stairs two at a time?
    Y/N/Sometimes"

...what in the?

I didn't get that job, but I think it had less to do with Best Practices in Stairclimbing than it did with the fact that I had British Parliament on my resume and the interviewer got hung up on "Whip's Office."

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I applied to a job at the Cheesecake Factory and they had a several page, darken-the-circle scantron questionnaire.

I distinctly recall one of the questions was:

"Do you run up the stairs two at a time?
    Y/N/Sometimes"

...what in the?

I didn't get that job, but I think it had less to do with Best Practices in Stairclimbing than it did with the fact that I had British Parliament on my resume and the interviewer got hung up on "Whip's Office."
    Eons ago I applied for a job at best buy, and you had to take the personality test. Somehow, the test decided that I, who almost passes out at the thought of being late, am completely meticulous, and have always worked more than necessary at every job I've ever had, was likely to be unreliable and underperforming. I think I was 16 at the time, and my parents had to pretty much talk me off the ledge for "failing" a personality test!

My favorite thing to hear from horsey employers is the oft utilized "And if you get hurt I don't want to hear about it....."

Not bad, really. Just a bit odd.
    I worked as a vet assistant and left the job on good terms when I had my child. They always told me they would love to have me back.

A few years later, they were hiring and I was considering going back to work, so I applied. They called me for an interview, I thought it was basically a formality since they had a new office manager. It went well, got to compensation and I told them what I thought I should make based on the market, what I would take (less than the market, but a slight raise (2%) from what I has been making) and reminded them what they had paid me when I worked there before. I also reminded them that I already had the training, the relationship with the doctors, staff, and clients, and really good performance reviews while employed there.

I was offered the job, but at a lower rate than when previously employed there. Wouldn't even match the original pay. After they told me over and over they would love to have me back. I declined.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I just had my worst interview last week! Sent in my resume, and got a call back 15 minutes later. Was asked a few preliminary questions, then told they would send my resume up the ladder. Two days later I get a call at 4:45, they want an interview the next day at 11:00. Ok no problem. Show up to the interview 5 minutes early (I was waiting in the lot since I got there way too early.) Interviewer calls down since she saw me come up to the door, to see if I am the person she is waiting for. Then leaves me sitting there for 15 minutes before popping open the door and telling me to follow her. No handshake, no introduction, nada. Sits me down in her office, invites a second interviewer in, and proceeds to interrogate me about my experience. Never gives me a chance to sell myself, just keeps asking off the wall questions about things that were not even close to the job description. Then abruptly tells me she needs to be on a conference call at 11:30 (it is now 11:35) and they will make their decision Monday. Um ok. I could tell from the get go that they weren't interested, so why make me waste my gas and my time? Not to mention leaving me sitting there for 15 minutes for a 15 minute interview? Sigh, I decided even if they did offer me the job, I wouldn't take it.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

From the interviewer side, I've been asked (and this was the screening interview to weed out candidates):
    How long til I get a vacation?
    I can't report for a month, because I'm going to Hawaii/Europe/jail (yes really)/moving to Cleveland

And then there was the great applicant, great work history, good skills, and seemed to really want the job. We hired them, and the day they were supposed to report we waited, and waited, and I called down to HR, and asked when they would be coming our way. I was shocked to hear that the person never came to the in-processing, and they had been trying to contact the person without any luck. The phone was disconnected, they had no word from them, not a clue about what happened. The HR person lived near them, and on their way home dropped by the place to see if they were OK (we'd recently had someone in another department die at home and they weren't found for days). They went to the building, and when they asked the super found out that the person had suddenly packed up and the movers took their stuff, leaving no forwarding address. We never did find out what happened in that case.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I think I've posted this here before... I interviewed for a "barn manager" position at a facility that was described as "Up and coming". This was before the internet was what it has become and I didn't know any horse folk in that area, so no real way to check the place out and the woman I spoke to on the phone (BO) sounded sane and reasonable, so I figured it was worth a shot.

The whole experience was just bizarre. BO WAS sane and reasonable- unfortunately, her son was not, and Sonny Boy had recently returned home from Business School with BIG PLANS for Mom's small, simple backyard operation. They were going to take this joint to the rated shows, donchaknow, and within a few months. Never mind the complete absence of horses up to the task.. or facilities.. or, ahem, students.

Mom had a few up & downers and a few sweet horses for that purpose. Couple of younger projects hanging around, nice enough looking animals, but not going to any rated shows any time soon. The only riding area was an "indoor" which I genuinely mistook for a storage shed- about 20x30 with a lovely assortment of machinery laying about.

I come from simple horse roots and do not pass judgement on the looks of a place. Pretty is as pretty does. Expectations and hopes were simply not realistic when stationed next to reality.

My verbal "interview", conducted by Sonny Boy, was completely inane. He spent the first ten minutes expounding in great detail on the fate of the previous "BM"- apparently she'd run off with the farrier. Quite a scandal. Next several minutes consisted of being chastised for how "unprofessional" my attire was- I'd been told to come prepared to ride and was wearing clean, tidy breeches in good repair, tucked polo, clean boots, hair tidy and appropriate for helmet wearing. Criticism of my horse experience followed, despite the fact that Sonny Boy pretty obviously had none himself other than being the son of a horsewoman. Insert a few dashes of smack talk about some of the big name facilities in the area, mostly regarding their "unambitious" financial practices and the romantic affairs of their staff, and you get the idea of the whole thing.

The "practical" end of the interview was to be riding. Sonny Boy yanked a seemingly random mare out of her stall (As in "I guess we'll use this one."), lead rope wrapped around his hand, popped her onto the cross ties by snapping them onto the rings at the crown piece/cheek, grabbed a seemingly random bridle off the wall behind him, shoved it directly at her face and hollered "GET DRESSED". No grooming. No saddle. Nothing. I didn't even understand what he was TRYING to do until he grabbed the bridle as he'd just stood up from the table mid sentence and wandered over to her stall.

Poor mare sat her ass down on the cross ties, popped the crown piece half off her head, went for the obligatory panicked lunge forward, rammed her eye into the cross tie snap, sat down again... you get the picture. My horse-stincts had kicked in and I'd gotten up to intervene when she first sat down, got a hold of her and got her settled... Sonny boy never. moved.a.muscle. Still standing there with the bridle extended in front of him.

Mom had shown up somewhere in here and just shook her head and said "You can't use her.". Now, I was young and dumb, but not totally moronic- I told them I didn't think it was going to be a good fit, thanked them for their time, and went to leave. Mom caught me on the way out and practically begged me to just ride for her, briefly- she knew Sonny Boy was overbearing but he meant well, and she really did want to expand her program a bit and needed some help... and she had a reallllllllllllly nice OTTB who could use a younger, competent rider.

Well. What did I say about young and dumb?

Mom & I tacked the nice OTTB up without Sonny's assistance, I hopped on in the machinery shed, and away we went.

He was really nice. Sweet, lovely ride, green but trying. Nice, nice young horse.

Mom watched thoughtfully for a few minutes, said I had a lovely seat and kind hands, and I could be done if I wanted. Sonny Boy said if I was so good, I should jump the tiller.

I got off.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post

I can't tell you how many people interview and say they are really interested in X type of work, which the firm doesn't do. At least take a second to review what the company does and act interested in it, please!
    Never had it happen in an interview, but I see a TON of cover letters that profess an interest in a type of work that my firm does not do. I appreciate that in a recruitment process the applicants are applying to many firms. But either make sure to put aside a special cover letter for the specialty firms, or make your cover letter generic enough that it will pass muster at full service firms as well as specialty firms.

Years ago, I conducted an interview that was, on its face, pretty unremarkable. No energy/spark and very dry/boring. Not a huge deal except his background, cover letter/resume and previous job experience were all SUPER SUPER interesting. He was, on paper, a really remarkable candidate and we were really excited about him. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed! I'm not even sure that the lesson is to not oversell yourself since I suspect he was 100% honest.