The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    And I just want to add - Guilherme, I love you.
    Thank you; kind words are always appreciated!

Hasahorse asks, "But, any of you gun owners care to explain why someone in the general public needs a military style assault rifle?"

The answer is that the question is irrelevant. The 2nd Amendment has no "need" standard. Nor does it contain a "sporting" standard, "hunting" standard, "target" standard, etc. If you can show me one of these I'll buy you dinner in the restaurant of your choice!

I don't carry often because I don't go "in harm's way." I don't carry large sums of money or valuables or work in a "dicey" section of town or anything else. I do carry when I haul horses because if I'm ever in position where I have put one down on the road I want to be able to do so without involving the local "alphabet soup."

One time I did carry was on a trip to New Orleans a couple of years back. One of our bailiff's suggested I do that. He travels there regularly to see one of his daughters. He always goes "heeled." NOLA being one of the Murder Centers of America I followed his suggestion. I had no incidents.

When I concealed carry I usually use a Para-Ordnance 645 LDA (light double action). It fits my hand nicely. It works well for this southpaw. You can carry "cocked and locked" without upsetting the locals. I've got a "belly band" holster a couple of shirts 1-2 sizes too big. They "blouse" nicely and the gun is invisible.

My wife was on the road doing public health for a while in some pretty sketchy places. Many of these places were in, or through, the mountains with no cell service. She has a Taurus Ultralight in .38spl. Works well for her. But she insists on carrying it in her purse and I think that's a bad idea. But after almost 40 years of marriage there's some arguments I'll never win.

Carry or don't carry as you wish. Don't, however, inflict your prejudices and fears upon others.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

5 members found this post helpful.

Well if you are quoting verbatim from the 2nd amendment, what militia do you all belong to and what does "well-regulated" mean to you. I thought regulations = rules = laws.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I'll offer my answer on the "military type assault weapon" question that I haven't heard anyone else offer yet. It's the most obvious one that everyone so far has not thought about. I expect it's really the answer that owners really have but can't find it. It's so simple.

The AR-15 is a good shooting gun. If you saw Piers shoot one the other night, you can see that anyone can shoot one fairly accurately.

Here's the answer: If someone is shooting at me with one, it would be my first choice, unless in close quarters, to shoot back with. If someone was shooting back at me with anything else inside of a 100 yards it is my first choice to shoot back with. Why should I be limited to something like a bolt action rifle with 10 or less bullets to shoot back at someone who can use one of the many "military type assault weapons" that are already out there. If they are shooting at me, they have already broken all sorts of laws, and do not limit themselves. I'm not worried about "the government" taking my guns. I simply dont' want to be at a disadvantage.

As far as the bump stocks, I'd rather someone who is shooting an AR at me to use one of them, than a standard stock in regular semi-automatic mode. Even the real full autos are mostly used to keep the enemies heads down, so others can reposition. No one can hit much that they want to with either.

As far as a 100 round drum: I'd rather someone have one of those who is shooting at me than a 30 round magazine. Have you ever tried to hit a moving target with one? They're heavy, and harder to acquire a moving target with. They have a much better chance of making the gun jamb for someone who's not good with the gun.

I'm all for making things as hard as possible for the bad guys and loonies to get guns. Improving the enforcement of laws that we already have will be a good start.

More gun control laws will not simply make the guns go away, which is what it seems like the loudest voices expect. It's not going to happen. There are already more guns than people in this country.

The only real effect all the talk about gun control is having, is causing more people to go out and buy more guns. Many, many more. I said it was going to happen when I first heard the bad news.

I wonder if the Mini 14 Ranch Gun is on peoples' list of "military assault type weapons". It's basically the same gun as an AR-15, but has a wooden stock so it doesn't look the part.

The biggest thing that sets the AR type rifles apart from the hunting type rifles is that the barrel is in line with the point where the stock hits your shoulder, so there is no muzzle flip. This is what makes it easy for anyone to shoot. There are many types of semi-auto guns that work the same way as the AR. Some just look like hunting rifles.

The way to not increase the numbers of guns is not to talk so much about something that's not going to happen. Guns aren't going to go away. As much as I like guns, if for some magic reason guns could be made to go away, it would suit me just fine. In the meantime, I'm well armed. If you have something worth protecting, be prepared. I am.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Well if you are quoting verbatim from the 2nd amendment, what militia do you all belong to and what does "well-regulated" mean to you. I thought regulations = rules = laws.
    Educate yourself: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm
    and http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/law_r...cles/power.PDF

Besides, the thread for people who don't like guns is elsewhere. Feel free to post there.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    The Supreme Court has ruled that the rights to keep and bear arms is an individual right. No group membership is required.

But if you want to find one then understand that there are two types of militia: organized (the modern equivalent would be the National Guard) and the "unorganized" which is all male citizens between certain ages (varies from state to state; there is a Federal militia statute but I haven't looked at it in a while).

The organized militia is just that; so's the unorganized.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I just want to ask those who have chimed in with the negatory comments...WHY did you open this thread? It was obviously not a subject you were interested in, except in an "Boyo, butta I'm a gonna crappa on this party" way. It wasn't asking an opinion on the issue of guns.

So I am very suspicious of your reasons for jumping in here, railing at those of us who choose to have firearms.

I have no problems with those who are intimidated by guns, or choose NOT to have one. Whatever your reasons, I respect them. I don't JUDGE those who avoid them, and I pray that you never have reason to regret or second-guess that decision. I fervently hope that I never need defend myself or those I love...it would honestly be my #1 best scenerio to NEVER have to fire that pistol at another living thing.

My decision to have my pistol should be nothing you need make snarky comment on.

The issue of guns has become a political issue, with our current president crying crocodile tears over the bodies of 26 innocents while blofergating on tightened gun control. Chicago has some of the strongest gun laws in the country, and the bodycount in gun-given death each week equals atleast that of Sandy Hook. Gun control isn't working in Chicago...because the law will be followed only by the lawful. No gun law ever stopped a criminal from getting or using a gun.

It is destressing enough that our schools and public areas serve as 'gun-free' shooting galleries for the sick minds who want high bodycounts as their 'magnum opus'. I am thrilled that law enforcement will support my right to defy the man who would leave me defenseless.

An Armed Society is a POLITE Society!

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm considering purchasing a handgun in the next year or so. I've gone shooting a number of times with a cop friend of mine and his wife at the range and have a blast doing so. I would like to try some IDPA competitions once I become more proficient, as well as to eventually pursue a CCW for personal defense (though it's not particularly easy in my county in CA, it is possible). I have VERY tiny hands. Any suggestions for particular models to look at for what I have in mind? Thinking a Glock 19 since I've shot with that and it seemed to fit my midget hands well...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Go to a gun range and try some guns out to find what you like. What someone else likes really isn't relevant.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I have, as posted above I am assuming that since there are mostly women here on COTH, there are probably some recommendations that can be made for a novice to get me started on ones to try...but thank you...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

No, you didn't do what I suggested. You likely went to a gun range with your friends and someone handed you a gun or you randomly picked one out that you thought might work for you. You have to try multiple guns at once. Go to a range that has a lady's night or a lady's firearms class with a female instructor if you want the help and insight of a fellow woman who is a seasoned shooter.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Whoever is buying new guns lately please keep it up. My newly laid-off DH works in CNC machining and he is picking up some good job options from the spike in gun manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    No, you didn't do what I suggested. You likely went to a gun range with your friends and someone handed you a gun or you randomly picked one out that you thought might work for you. You have to try multiple guns at once. Go to a range that has a lady's night or a lady's firearms class with a female instructor if you want the help and insight of a fellow woman who is a seasoned shooter.
    I actually did. I've tried at least 3 or 4, and my friend (the wife half) has been shooting all of her life. I'm not ready to buy, anyway, so don't want to waste anyone's time at the range. I was just looking for suggestions. There's no need to be presumptive.

3 members found this post helpful.

There was a commercial/preview on A&E awhile back and it was for a 911 show. Something to the effect of I almost died or what if x happened. Something like that.
    Anyways, the preview depicted a woman standing in her home on the phone with 911. She frantically says "someone's trying to break into my basement...my husband isn't home. I'm by myself, please hurry. Oh My God! He's coming up the stairs! *more panic and screaming* (she then screams to the intruder) what do you want from me!?!"
    End of preview.
    Let me just say that if that was me, an intruder breaking into my house while I was home alone would be shot before he had his foot on the bottom step of my basement stairs.

The first time I saw that commercial I did a face palm.......why would ANYONE want to be that woman? I know I won't be. If you choose not to have a gun, cool, especially if you're scared of them....then you're a danger to yourself and others if you aren't confidant with your firearm but I'll be darned before I don't protect myself and my family.

Oh, and I have a Judge Revolver that shoots .45 long colt and .410's.

3 members found this post helpful.

I wanted an AR for fun & HD. But the price was a bit steep. I picked up a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel at Wally World. The 28" barrel is for fun. I also got a 18.5" barrel from AIP tactical for HD. It's wearing the 18" as I type.
    Consider with 00, one can deliver (9) .38 sized projectiles faster than an AR can. A fully loaded shotgun (4+1) has 54 projectiles. A standard AR is only 31 projectiles.

Shooting fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nybzfb-wTMw

This was my neighbors' SKS which I love to shoot, even though it isn't a great rifle. They also have an AR-15 that we like, a Mini-14, an M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine (which I think is my favorite). And we have guns at home. We both have our CCW permits and carry.

Dazed, a lot of people in my shooting league shoot S&W 686s. Most people shoot a 6" barrel, but I shoot a 4" barrel. A 4" is a bit big to carry, but I do travel with it sometimes. It also comes with a 2" barrel that would be better for carrying. The thing about guns fitting your hand is that you can get different grips, so while I might like one grip, you might like another and you may find a gun easy to shoot with one grip vs. the other. It does take a lot of trial and error - kind of like finding a saddle you like.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

DH and I gave each other 0.380s for Christmas, Sig Sauer P38s. I wanted the rainbow titanium model but its on back order again, sigh. So, he got the Equinox and I got the Sig Lady. Love them- small and easy to carry even with the extended grip magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by certifiedgirl View Post
    DH and I gave each other 0.380s for Christmas, Sig Sauer P38s. I wanted the rainbow titanium model but its on back order again, sigh. So, he got the Equinox and I got the Sig Lady. Love them- small and easy to carry even with the extended grip magazine.

I've also got the Sig P238 .380 and love it! It is the one that I almost always carry with me concealed ( have a purse with a built in holster pocket on the side) I also have a H&K USP .40 compact.

I have not bought a new gun in the last couple of months just because of money but hubby just bought a new AR. His cousin owns a gun shop and got a great deal on a lot of 10 so Hubby couldn't resist.

I work the midnight shift and drive dark highways at night by myself. I like knowing I have some thing to protect myself with in case something happens.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Got one over Christmas from my husband, a Springfield XD, 9mm. He got himself a Sig, 45 too. He actually announced to me one morning that he was going to get me a gun, and proceeded to drag me to the store. lol. Why he got us the guns? well not for protection really, - we are in a very safe neighborhood, - but for fun. He thought it would be something nice for us to do together and he's right. He also knew I would not hesitate to blow the bastard's head off if occasion arises. Those who would not use it when facing dangerous adversary should not own a gun, I believe: it will be more dangerous.

Since then, we have taken several private lessons to become more proficient around guns, and we are having a blast. We both believe that if we want to own a gun, we have to become good at it. The instructor claimed that females are better shooters once they figure out the ins and outs. We are both competitive and he is well determined not get his ass kicked, so he has sneaked into shooting range several times to practice without me. grrr. Weird enough, I think I love my gun. It is so easy to handle and fun.

In summer 2012, I drove alone from Oklahoma to Colorado. I didn't tell my husband this because I think he was going to freak out. During the 10 hours trip, for about two hours there was a semi following me: I would change lane, he would change lane; I sped up, he sped up; I slowed down, he slowed down; I crossed in front of another car and he would do the same. I had not idea what he was doing. I wasn't freaking out, - a bit amused really, - but at the same time I sure wished to have a gun with me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    Let me just say that if that was me, an intruder breaking into my house while I was home alone would be shot before he had his foot on the bottom step of my basement stairs.
    As a woman who is often alone I have my monitored alarm set all the time. It makes an unholy RACKET and will have the county deputies here in about 3 minutes. Who will insist on searching the house while I stand outside and talk with them along with probably all my neighbors within a half mile. I do know this for a fact as I inadvertently tested the system one cold dark night. I also keep my cell phone on my body at all times.

If someone did break in, despite the alarm I would either hide or be out another exit. And yes we do have 2 or 3 firearms but I would not consider them as my first option. I realize other people might think differently.

FWIW I did some research on break ins when my HOA wanted to install a security gate. There are no uniform statistics kept on "home invasions" per se. They can be reported as B&E, burglary and/or assault.

MOST incidents of B&E in residential areas occur during the daytime when there is no one home, stepped out to go to the supermarket, etc. Criminals would rather not take the chance that they will meet up with an armed homeowner.

Most incidents occur on through streets, not dead ends probably because it is easier to watch a house on a through street and the criminals don't want to be blocked in with no way out.

Most of the people I spoke with said that the best way to stay safe in your home was to have an alarm, keep your doors locked and don't plant dense shrubs under windows.

ETA: a woman is 500% more likely to be killed if her abuser has access to a gun
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    I have, as posted above I am assuming that since there are mostly women here on COTH, there are probably some recommendations that can be made for a novice to get me started on ones to try...but thank you...
    I really like the Smith & Wesson Walther P-22.
    I LOVE my Chickens!