The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

I got my ruger lc 9 today. Found it at the local gun dealer for a better price than at the gun show. Now all I have to do is find someone that has 9mm ammo.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I got my ruger lc 9 today. Found it at the local gun dealer for a better price than at the gun show. Now all I have to do is find someone that has 9mm ammo.
    Most of the time a gun show is not the place to get the best price; it is often the place where you can find the best selection of "odd ball" things that interest collectors, re-enactors, living historians, etc. My table was between one guy selling KY Rifles (flintlocks) and another selling modern hunting shotguns. Across the aisle was a guy who specializes in WWII German Lugers and British revolvers. Behind me were Garands, Springfields, Krags, and even a Lee Navy Straight Pull!!!

Gland you found something that works for you!!!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Guil thanks, I have been to plenty of gun shows, I always like looking at the antiques that they have there, but it was a really great place to go and hold a lot of pistols. I am a rifle/shotgun type of girl mostly this is my first pistol and I love how it comfortable it feels in my hand. There were a few that felt doable but this one really fit.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, an unemployed woman here in NoVA who needed money sure got a good enough price at the gun shows to pick up 31 handguns at three gun shows all over the state, one after another over three weeks, which she then attempted to re-sell for profit.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Took a trip to Cabelas (huge one in Fort Worth) late this afternoon. Place was packed!!!!! For the first time in several months, the rifle racks were stocked and
    handgun cases were fairly full. However, hardly any EBG (evil black guns) except for a handful of high dollar ones. More pre-owned guns than normal and mostly large size (physically, not necessarily caliber wise)....wonder if folks were
    trading them for concealed carry types. Ammo shelves were pretty bare expecially for 22LR, 223, 9mm.

Recent gun show in Dallas suburb (small side - 400 tables) had about 100 folks standing outside at 3pm. Next day, about 200 at noon.

Have found most large dealers at gun shows are somewhat cheaper than Cabelas or Gander Mountain and some offer a discount for cash.

Both at Cabelas, and the shows and the gun ranges, the number of women keeps increasing.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Been reading the 'gun' threads this past week...interesting read. I bought my first gun last weekend, a Taurus Millennium 9 mm for at home and eventually to carry with me. I plan on getting a concealed carry permit in the next several weeks.

MY SO has guns and I have shot at possums on our farm in the past. We went to the gun range again yesterday morning and I really like the Taurus.

I feel like we live in safe area but since this was only a few miles away from my farm...it was time for me to have a gun.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/georgia-mom...ry?id=18164812

What I wonder if the mother didn't have a gun, what would the intruder have done to her and her children. Too damn scary and close to home!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

According to the police report, he didn't know they were in the house until he stumbled upon them and was shot at point-blank range because she panicked and did not respond when he was at the front door trying to determine if anyone was home. If she had made her presence known and had told him that she was calling the police when the intruder was at the front door instead of hiding and calling her husband, he would have run away. The intruder broke in because he didn't think anyone was home to resist his attempts at ransacking the home.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    According to the police report, he didn't know they were in the house until he stumbled upon them and was shot at point-blank range because she panicked and did not respond when he was at the front door trying to determine if anyone was home. If she had made her presence known and had told him that she was calling the police when the intruder was at the front door instead of hiding and calling her husband, he would have run away. The intruder broke in because he didn't think anyone was home to resist his attempts at ransacking the home.
    How do you know he would have run away? Did you ask the intruder?

The vast majority of thefts in our county are by dopers looking for money for their next fix. They are lazy, cowardly sods who will avoid a confrontation. BUT there are also a number of more violent types, often dealers, who steal to finance their "inventory." They are generally armed and will use force and violence to get what they want or to avoid apprehension. At the beginning of a confrontation there's no way to KNOW just what the opposition may be.

For home defense the 12 ga. shotgun, 20" barrel, loaded with 00 buck is optimal. Every time you drop the hammer you send 8 .38 cal. pellets down range. They low velocity, limited penetration, but effective stoppers. That beats the fire out of a Glock even with an 18 round magazine!!! It also demonstrates the foolishness of magazine restrictions.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post
    How do you know he would have run away? Did you ask the intruder?
    I know because the intruder didn't know they were there. In situations where someone is home and that person makes it known that they are there and have called the police/are armed, daytime intruders always run in the other direction when they find out that someone knows they are there and has likely seen them because they can't take the chance that the police aren't already on their way or that they could get shot at. It's Career Criminal Common Sense. You don't take the big risk unless there's a big payoff. The woman was stupid enough to run around locking doors before she even called for help and she wasn't even smart enough to call the police for help. Instead, she called her dopey husband at work and he called 911 on his desk phone, losing precious time in addition to the time she lost while running scared around the house. She's not a hero, she's an idiot who got lucky. Very lucky.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Lex... Your "dopey" comments are just that. We weren't there. There is no knowing the intruder's intentions or reactions. The woman did the right thing at the time. She confronted the intruder from a position of strength. The intruder was the lucky one, he survived.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Lex... Your "dopey" comments are just that. We weren't there. The woman did the right thing at the time. She confronted the intruder from a position of strength. The intruder was the lucky one, he survived.
    She didn't confront the intruder at all. She hid in the attic and then wildly shot him when he came across her and the kids after opening the attic door. If you think that means she confronted him from a position of strength than you must live in a fantasy land. The woman had no home defense training and no real shooting skills and she was scared out of her mind. All of that is clear as day from listening to the 911 call where her husband had to tell her what to do. Confronting the intruder from a position of strength means she would have identified herself with the gun pointed at him when he came through the front door. He had nothing but a crowbar, so he would have been out of there had she "confronted him" and told him that the police were on their way. Instead of doing that, she ran and hid in the attic with her gun while on a conference call with her husband and 911. She got lucky and there's nothing more to it.
    SPACE FOR RENT

I know because the intruder didn't know they were there. In situations where someone is home and that person makes it known that they are there and have called the police/are armed, daytime intruders always run in the other direction when they find out that someone knows they are there and has likely seen them because they can't take the chance that the police aren't already on their way or that they could get shot at. It's Career Criminal Common Sense. You don't take the big risk unless there's a big payoff. The woman was stupid enough to run around locking doors before she even called for help and she wasn't even smart enough to call the police for help. Instead, she called her dopey husband at work and he called 911 on his desk phone, losing precious time in addition to the time she lost while running scared around the house. She's not a hero, she's an idiot who got lucky. Very lucky.
    When I was researching the pros and cons of an entry gate for our subdivision I came across the same info. Most B&E's occur in broad daylight when the homeowner has stepped out. Thieves really don't want to meet up with a scared or PO'ed homeowner with a gun.

Most occur on through streets which offer easy surveillance opportunities...drive by once, car in driveway, drive by 10 min later, car gone and garage door open, pull right on up with a van that says Jim's Handyman.

Fewer break ins occur on dead ends because there is less opportunity for surveillance and thieves don't want their escape route blocked.

I spoke to local law enforcement, security companies and insurance companies. They ALL said the best protection was a locked door with a LOUD alarm system, preferably monitored. They were of mixed opinions concerning a security gate on our cul de sac and pretty much negative about firearms.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Here is something I came across

Did you know.....

• A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl , Miss. , was halted by the school 's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck.

• A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun.

• A 2002 terrorist attack at an Israeli school was quickly stopped by an armed teacher and a school guard.

• A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy , Va. , came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter.

• A 2007 mall shooting in Ogden , Utah , ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened.

• A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston , Texas , was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns.

• A 2012 church shooting in Aurora , Colo. , was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun.

• At the recent mall shooting in Portland , Ore. , the gunman took his own life minutes after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon.

2,500 times last year alone legal gun owners stopped violent crime when confronted with it long before any police assistance ... Of course, you probably didn 't know any of this because mainstream media doesn 't find it worth reporting. It 's not sensational enough and doesn 't fit with their agenda. What 's insane is
    people who think removing rights from responsible people will somehow keep them safe.

5 members found this post helpful.

Lex in that article it says the intruder chased one of the twins and came through a locked bedroom door and a locked bathroom door and then to the attic door, that sounds determined to me. He could have come in, taken the tv, cd player, comp whatever and left, but he chose to go after this family.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Lex in that article it says the intruder chased one of the twins and came through a locked bedroom door and a locked bathroom door and then to the attic door, that sounds determined to me. He could have come in, taken the tv, cd player, comp whatever and left, but he chose to go after this family.
    The article Green Acres posted says no such thing
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Carol, the accompanying video does, but you are right it isn't in the transcript below the video.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

See, an alarm would be my go to here along with very nosy neighbors. Why go straight to a gun?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You must have read a different article because the one linked on this page says no such thing and almost all of the news write-ups I've read as well as statements from the police lay it out exactly as I said it happened. She got scared and called her husband, grabbed the kids and a gun, and hid in the attic per her husband's instructions while the intruder went to his car to get his crowbar. He broke in and rummaged through the house before making his way into the attic.
    SPACE FOR RENT

So he didn't need to be shot? Sounds like he did. He had time, he knew people were home, he broke in.

I know what I'd do.

4 members found this post helpful.