The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 170
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Sep. 16, 1999
    Location
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique
    Posts
    9,143

    Default

    Carol, why are you mixing burglary/assault with domestic violence statistics? We were talking about a woman being home alone. What point are you trying to make because if an abuser is going to have a gun, I'm quite certain it's NOT the victim's doing... just like any other criminal.
    ************
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

    "Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike



  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post

    ETA: a woman is 500% more likely to be killed if her abuser has access to a gun
    A women would not get killed if she had shot the bastard first.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2006
    Location
    rapidan,virginia
    Posts
    1,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    As a woman who is often alone I have my monitored alarm set all the time. It makes an unholy RACKET and will have the county deputies here in about 3 minutes. Who will insist on searching the house while I stand outside and talk with them along with probably all my neighbors within a half mile. I do know this for a fact as I inadvertently tested the system one cold dark night. I also keep my cell phone on my body at all times.

    If someone did break in, despite the alarm I would either hide or be out another exit. And yes we do have 2 or 3 firearms but I would not consider them as my first option. I realize other people might think differently.

    FWIW I did some research on break ins when my HOA wanted to install a security gate. There are no uniform statistics kept on "home invasions" per se. They can be reported as B&E, burglary and/or assault.

    MOST incidents of B&E in residential areas occur during the daytime when there is no one home, stepped out to go to the supermarket, etc. Criminals would rather not take the chance that they will meet up with an armed homeowner.

    Most incidents occur on through streets, not dead ends probably because it is easier to watch a house on a through street and the criminals don't want to be blocked in with no way out.

    Most of the people I spoke with said that the best way to stay safe in your home was to have an alarm, keep your doors locked and don't plant dense shrubs under windows.

    ETA: a woman is 500% more likely to be killed if her abuser has access to a gun
    Carol, it is entirely your choice what action to take if someone breaks into your home. However, I would not rely on a 3 minute response time in Spotsylvania County unless you live near a 7-11 that's a favorite of the deputies or you're within a stone's throw of the courthouse. Request the average response time from the sheriff's office (available through a FOIA request) to emergency calls and it might make you doubt your feeling of security from that source.

    If someone breaks into my home they will be facing a shotgun - no need to worry about being too accurate in the heat of the moment - and I will not wait for the cavalry to arrive. Even though I work for the cavalry.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e


    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    16,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    As a woman who is often alone I have my monitored alarm set all the time. It makes an unholy RACKET and will have the county deputies here in about 3 minutes. Who will insist on searching the house while I stand outside and talk with them along with probably all my neighbors within a half mile. I do know this for a fact as I inadvertently tested the system one cold dark night. I also keep my cell phone on my body at all times.

    If someone did break in, despite the alarm I would either hide or be out another exit. And yes we do have 2 or 3 firearms but I would not consider them as my first option. I realize other people might think differently.

    Most of the people I spoke with said that the best way to stay safe in your home was to have an alarm, keep your doors locked and don't plant dense shrubs under windows.

    ETA: a woman is 500% more likely to be killed if her abuser has access to a gun
    I'm home alone a lot too as well as I travel alone..sometimes with a fair amount of money from my farmer's market sales...one reason why I now have my CCP. Where we live, I'm a good 20 minutes from any town and anytime we have ever called the local police, it was more like 45 minutes before they showed up. One of those calls was for a suspected rabid animal (skunk) so it wasn't just a routine thing. By the time he got here, skunk had gone missing. Next time I'll just shoot it and then call them...kind of like my attitude on how to deal with intruders in my home.

    Anyway, if I have to wait even 20 minutes for help and hide until they come, I'd probably be cooling off by the time they get here... My alarm system is a 3 Jack Russell Terrier model and it's loud too. Nothing comes near this house without them knowing it. Good dogs!

    No shrubs either on my house.

    I do however plan to greet any intruder breaking into my home with my .45 long colt handgun and I sure know how to use it. As the one pro gun father from Sandy Hook said recently in the hearings going on up there. "I will secure my home and protect my family first with my firearms if need be and THEN I will call 911." He was the same one who said you could take his guns from "his cold dead fingers." Great piece of testimony and my kind of guy.

    This is pretty much what a lot of country folks simply have to be ready to do or be helpless. I'll certainly call 911 if I have time though...never hurts to have backup on the way.

    I'll bet those 500% more likely to be killed rules change a lot with an armed capable and trained woman willing and able to defend herself if she is assaulted by an armed attacker.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2005
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    Right now I have a rueger. I am getting a 38 and a 12 guage from my Dad soon.
    I know how to use all three and I am not scared to use them. Hubby isn't happy as I am a better shot than what he is.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2002
    Location
    Calera, AL
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    I haven't bought a hand gun recently. I already have four - a pocket .380, a regular .380, a .38 special revolver and a .22 revolver - so I think I'm good there. I do, however, want both a shot gun and a rifle. Kind of worried about the kick on both but I think I'll get over it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov. 4, 2003
    Location
    Sanger, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,975

    Default

    Alabama, usually more kick with a shotgun than a rifle. A 20 gauge will have
    less kick than a 12 gauge. A 410 will have less than the 20 gauge.

    My 22 evil black gun has a lot less kick than a 223 which isn't all that bad.

    Think they have a shoulder pad arrangement to help with the kick...been meaning
    to check those out.



  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I haven't bought a hand gun recently. I already have four - a pocket .380, a regular .380, a .38 special revolver and a .22 revolver - so I think I'm good there. I do, however, want both a shot gun and a rifle. Kind of worried about the kick on both but I think I'll get over it.
    One of the benefits of semi auto rifles chambered for the .223 Remington cartridge is that they are almost always VERY easy in the recoil department. Far more so than any shotgun except the .410 (which I don't consider useful for anything other than skeet).



  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post

    As the one pro gun father from Sandy Hook said recently in the hearings going on up there. "I will secure my home and protect my family first with my firearms if need be and THEN I will call 911." He was the same one who said you could take his guns from "his cold dead fingers." Great piece of testimony and my kind of guy.
    Your kind of guy? From what I have read it seems your kind of guy and his 'great testimony' was a fake.
    He lives in the town, but his child did not go to Sandy Hook.

    But even if he WAS legitimate, and not an NRA plant - doesn't, wouldn't the fact that he was ONE out of 26 mean something to you?

    Nevermind.
    I know the answer to my own question. It's like using the Bible to defend stances,(see the Boy Scouts thread for more proof) - people seem to cherry pick and only use the quotes that suit their agenda.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    16,684

    Default

    Fred, he was no plant. His daughter was in that school but was not killed...however a close friend's daughter was. Here is the video...watch it for yourself.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYLr6u2FyY

    And yes, anyone who is willing to stand in front of a row of pompous politicians and place the blame for what happened at Sandy Hook on a crazy human being..which is correct... instead of an inanimate object...the gun...is my kind of guy.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2012
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I do, however, want both a shot gun and a rifle. Kind of worried about the kick on both but I think I'll get over it.
    My 20 gauge semi auto shotgun has virtually no recoil at all. My boys could handle it quite easily when they started shooting it at age 10-12, even the little skinny one.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2002
    Location
    Calera, AL
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Thanks for the info on the recoil, guys. That's very helpful!



  13. #113
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    20,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Fred, he was no plant. His daughter was in that school but was not killed...however a close friend's daughter was. Here is the video...watch it for yourself.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYLr6u2FyY

    And yes, anyone who is willing to stand in front of a row of pompous politicians and place the blame for what happened at Sandy Hook on a crazy human being..which is correct... instead of an inanimate object...the gun...is my kind of guy.
    I'm fairly certain that father did not have a child in Sandy Hook school. I can't check because I'm on a bandwith restriction right now, thanks to my lovely, so called broadband.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    16,684

    Default

    It really doesn't matter to me anyway. He makes very good points regardless. I had not heard that video was supposedly not of a real Sandy Hook parent but I can see the libs trying desperately to discredit something so against their gun control agenda.

    I do recall one Sandy Hook parent/father who testified who lost a child saying that he did not believe we needed more gun laws...simply that we need to enforce the ones we already have better. More common sense

    I did not post my initial comments to invite any sort of debate on gun control into this discussion so we really need to stay OT.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Carol, it is entirely your choice what action to take if someone breaks into your home. However, I would not rely on a 3 minute response time in Spotsylvania County unless you live near a 7-11 that's a favorite of the deputies or you're within a stone's throw of the courthouse. Request the average response time from the sheriff's office (available through a FOIA request) to emergency calls and it might make you doubt your feeling of security from that source.

    If someone breaks into my home they will be facing a shotgun - no need to worry about being too accurate in the heat of the moment - and I will not wait for the cavalry to arrive. Even though I work for the cavalry.
    3 miles from the CH/7 11/FasMart

    FWIW the only crimes I am aware of in this neighborhood was the theft of some fencing material from me and the outside heat pumps from a vacant house. I've lived here since 1991. I actually caught the thieves stealing my fencing and they departed in a hurry. Unfortunately their truck was faster than my golf cart.

    I suspect the people who took the heat pumps pulled up in broad daylight in a truck that said Bob's Heating and Air Conditioning after checking out the local real estate listings.

    I can see why someone like DDB would want to carry a firearm. Her circumstances are different from mine.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



  16. #116
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2012
    Location
    SE VA
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I am getting a S-W Sheild in 9mm this week. I have it in .40 but my husband wants one so he'll get that one. I also have a .40 'baby' Glock which fits great in my small hand. My .45 Kimber is awesome to shoot.

    I prefer small guns with notable firepower.

    Smaller than a 9mm? A good .38 preferably that you can load w/plus Ps.

    Yes, I took the course, do practice, have the permit, the tee shirt and the common sense to know when to use it. Hopefully, never will need it but shooting is a fun sport anyway.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2007
    Location
    Bremo Bluff, Virginia
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malmare View Post

    Smaller than a 9mm? A good .38 preferably that you can load w/plus Ps.
    I recently got an Uberti single action in .357. It is a great little farm gun. We load it with the .38 plus Ps since we don't need the magnum. I wanted the SA since I was most comfortable with them and I don't like my husband's Sig.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams



  18. #118
    Join Date
    Apr. 19, 2004
    Location
    Williamstown, MA USA
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Just bought a S&W.38 special Airweight for my personal CC weapon. A sweet little thing.
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

    www.clearvisionequine.com

    http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com



  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2012
    Location
    SE VA
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boosma47 View Post
    Just bought a S&W.38 special Airweight for my personal CC weapon. A sweet little thing.
    Yes, they are!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2007
    Posts
    9,413

    Default

    I did a display for the U.S. Cavalry Association at the Smokey Mountains Gun Collectors Assn. show today (and tomorrow). Our venue is the Kerbela Shrine.

    The show is mostly antique or WWII era and before weaponry. There are usually one or two local vendors that have significant displays of modern hand guns, but the older weapons predominate. Today was a bit different, in that I saw a LOT more "black rifles" for sale (at pretty stiff prices) and very few large capacity mags for any rifle. We generally don't have large vendors of ammunition and that was the way it was today.

    When the doors opened at nine a.m. we were mobbed (I guess we should send Slow Joe et al. a thank you note for that). The crowd was really heavy. I didn't get an official "head count" but I'd say we at least doubled our normal traffic. I saw a significantly larger number of women than was usual. I also observed that the women were buying more than the men.

    I suspect a lot of the crowd was disappointed that we didn't have more large vendors. We are just not that type of venue. There's a big show at Chilhowee Park next week (I think). That's where you'll find the big time sellers of guns, ammunition, and accessories.

    G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov. 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep. 8, 2009, 09:23 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sep. 7, 2009, 10:20 PM
  4. Anyone ride and carry a firearm??
    By CanterQueen in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jul. 18, 2008, 10:24 AM
  5. Replies: 210
    Last Post: Oct. 6, 2003, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness