The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I bought an AR 15 and a 9mm carbine when I was at the local gun shop back before Christmas because they were a decent price, and having worked in corrections, I was trained on a Mini 14.
    They are fun to shoot at the range, and down here we have wild hogs that can be hard to kill, and the AR 15 will take them out!
    The carbine - my husband wanted one for a long time, so it was his Christmas gift.
    As for my CCW - I've just picked up a S&W 38 Snubby. It's a hand friendly gun.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Although I'm thinking of buying an assault rifle to protect us from those crazy white men who are buying up all the assault rifles and ammo. I'm more afraid of white people stockpiling assault rifles and ammo, whites who oppose anything remotely representing "the government" and "them" than I am of "the government" and "them."
    Let's keep the insults rolling, shall we?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's mom View Post
    I let my permit expire some years ago and am planning on renewing it when my tax return comes. We have a .12g mossberg but both hubby and I are wanting pistols. He told me he wants me to surprise him with one for our anniversary but that's a pretty big challenge with nothing else to go on!
    I would love suggestions on what would be good for me, I have fairly small hands and want something fairly compact, preferably not a revolver.
    Glock 19 Generation 4 and S&W M&P9C. Both of them are fairly compact, but not so small that they are difficult to control under recoil. They both also come with interchangeable grips in three different sizes so that you can fit the gun to your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    If it's to carry, I'd pass on the P89. BIG and BULKY. The Glock 19 is almost the perfect carry pistol, neither huge nor too small to be controllable. Just below the Glock 19 in size are several great options such as the Glock 26, and the Smith & Wesson M&P9c and M&P9 Shield (single stack version of the M&P9c).

I'd avoid anything less powerful than 9mm Luger for autopistols and .38 Special +P for revolvers.
    I like the Smith & Wesson products, have two of their guns.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    I like the Smith & Wesson products, have two of their guns.
    I tried to like their M&P line of pistols. While the two that I bought were utterly reliable and very accurate, I could never get a repeatable grip out of the holster. So I sold them and bought a Glock 17.

However, S&W revolvers fit my hand like they are custom-made for me.

Not within 2 months, but 10 months ago after some creepy intimidating FB messages from someone who claimed to live about an hour down I-40, I bought a Mossberg 500 shotgun with what a good ole' boy from an originally SC friend described as the 20" 'social work' barrel. And boxes of shells of various kinds my SC friend advised

I may add a hunting barrel because there are a lot of fat birds around here and I have no qualms about shooting game birds, Updike's 'Pigeon Feathers' notwithstanding. (Geese crap all over my dock and beach and yard. They are nasty tempered and good eating. My full-blooded Danish grandmother loved to prepare them, and ended up in the hospital decades ago because the fatty richness gave her an intractable gall bladder attack, resulting in surgery.)

Would like a training course for the Mossberg but in this part of the world apparently everyone assumes it is like breathing air to know how to manage a long gun.

I'm strongly considering getting a handgun, too, and based also on several friends' suggestions as well as being charmed by recent ads, probably a Glock.

After many years of being a non-firearm owning 2nd Amendment advocate and 'ideological member' of the NRA -- quit because their fundraising calls appealed only to the truly ignorant or the stupid -- I was thrilled to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. Lots of other 2nd Amendment advocacy groups out there who don't rely indefensible on scare tactics.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

1 members found this post helpful.

Anyone own a Taurus Judge or a SW Governor....revolvers that shot both bullets and .410 shotgun shells? Tried a Governor at the gun range recently and liked it but the price was a tad stiff. Not really a concealed carry candidate gun but more home defense/car defense. House is small, doorways narrow and hall narrow so it would be easy to manuever if the boogie man broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by tinah View Post
    We have guns. My kids, unlike kids that grow up in a house without guns, understand what they are, what they do, and what you do when you find a gun at somebody else's house. there is no mystery, no allure, and certainly no "playing" with them, although we shoot on a semi-regular basis.
    The shooter responsible for the Sandy Hook shooting also grew up in a house with guns and shot on a semi-regular basis.

6 members found this post helpful.

I got approved for a FOID card, said Illinois is having about a 2 month wait, so once I get it, I am planning on taking a course. Havent totally decided to get a gun, but have several friends that like to go to the shooting range, so will at least do that
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

I tried to like their M&P line of pistols. While the two that I bought were utterly reliable and very accurate, I could never get a repeatable grip out of the holster. So I sold them and bought a Glock 17.

However, S&W revolvers fit my hand like they are custom-made for me.
    I have long, slender hands (so they are kind of weak), the SW work really good for me.
    I'm not a revolver girl, but if I tried the SW revolver I would probably like it. I'd really like to venture into Desert Eagles but I really don't need that much power...
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Anyone own a Taurus Judge or a SW Governor....revolvers that shot both bullets and .410 shotgun shells? Tried a Governor at the gun range recently and liked it but the price was a tad stiff. Not really a concealed carry candidate gun but more home defense/car defense. House is small, doorways narrow and hall narrow so it would be easy to manuever if the boogie man broke in.
    I've shot the Judge but, not much of a fan, but not crazy about revolvers though.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by VTMorgan06 View Post
    The shooter responsible for the Sandy Hook shooting also grew up in a house with guns and shot on a semi-regular basis.
    Your point?

3 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I both purchased (from a dealer so background checks done) a .45 caliber Taurus Judge revolver. We also both have CCP's from VA. My Judge is the 2.5 inch and his is the 3 inch. He now wishes he got the smaller one I believe. They are nice to fire and accurate.

I carry mine in a waist bag. It's not super light for concealed carry but I wanted stopping power as I intend to backpack on the Appalachian Trail with this handgun and will be alone many times and a long ways from help. While I'm more worried about human animals than the ones that live in the forest, I will feel less vulnerable with it.

I also have the 410 rounds. Nice to have that option.

My husband wanted us to both have 45's so he can easily reload. He likes to do that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Yes, love mine. I have the 2.5 inch in stainless steel.

Your point?
    My point is that it is not a sound argument to say that growing up in a house with guns takes away the novelty of them. Similarly, children who do not grow up with guns in the house do not necessarily grow up to be reckless and dangerous with guns.

2 members found this post helpful.

I bought a Glock 19, 3rd generation, around Christmas. I'm pleased to hear other ladies say it's a good one for CC. I thought it was a tad large, so bought a SW model 60 .38 special a couple of weeks ago. I like it, too. It's smaller, but I'm stiill more comfortable with the Glock. I guess a little more time and practice at the range will help me decide which one to carry.

The first handgun I had anything to do with was a little Ruger .22 that my cousin left among his possessions. I was so ignorant about firearms, I called the local police to help me determine whether it was loaded, in operating condition, and if I needed some sort of paperwork to transport it from the ranch to my home in the big city.

The police were very helpful, happy to come out and have a look at the Ruger, and assure me it was unloaded and in good condition. They we spent some time reminiscing about my cousin and his family. Small town life!

My son gave me a shotgun for Christmas (410?) I've fired it once. In a home invasion I would have to remember where I stashed it, and the ammo. This might require a few cups of coffee.

I do however have a monitored alarm system with an ear shattering siren. The sheriff's office can be here in 3 minutes....ask me how I know.

ETA:I do activate it at all times and I do have a panic button carried on my body along with my cell phone for when I am in the barn etc....and it does work :-) The local sheriff's dept does respond quicker to the panic button than it does to a 911 call, at least when the 911 call is 'Someone is stealing my fencing materials"
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Just curious, why get a conceal and carry permit? Kansas is an open carry state- on your person and in your auto- unless restricted by local law. I carry when needed without any problem.
    When I took my gun safety course, the opinion of the instructors (mostly law enforcement) felt that you don't want the bad guy to know you are carrying. In PA it is legal to open carry without a permit, except, as you said, unless restricted by local law.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

If bad guys know you are carrying or see you with your gun out, they are more likely to ambush you in force or from behind to take your gun. That is a scenario that they run all the time in law enforcement training courses where they emphasize proper cover and positioning relative to potential threats.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

We have some SW handguns. There is actually a tack shop within an hour of the house and get this, they sell guns AND tack I can go in there and shop around while SO goes and does his gun oogling thing.