The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    I see it as an even reply to the barrage of insulting invectives (gun crazies, paranoid, etc) that anti gunners HERE hurl at us every time it is convenient for them.

So if you (collectively) want to dish it out, be ready to take it.
    But you didn't reply to or direct your remarks only to those who "collectively" share jumpnow's attitude. You essentially said that anyone who chooses not to arm him/herself must consider his/her life "cheap" and "unimportant."

Like I said, both stupid and offensive. Well done, you!
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Thankfully, we have had to disarm armed intruders on our property (not including illegal hunters) only twice in the 32 years we've lived here. We would probably have been some other sort of statistic if we weren't armed. Anyone that comes here looking for trouble finds it with no problem. Indisputable fact with real life "statistics".

If help is maybe 45 minutes away when you need to dial 911, it had better be part of your gun safe combination. It's different when you live out in the country.
    Yeah, I get that, thanks. But there are plenty of sad stories to balance out the "a gun saved my life" ones. And I say this not to discourage gun ownership but to highlight the fact that just as not owning a gun comes with risks, owning one does as well.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I just read an article that stated that the hit-rate in actual on-the-ground situations (not target practice) for trained police officers (in the States) is 18%. Even in scenarios where they intend to shoot and are trained to shoot. So I certainly wouldn't presume that every layperson is going to have the 100% hit rate you are suggesting, even if they have the "right mindset".
    It's pretty simple.......

Either disarm everyone, INCLUDING ALL police or accept that citizens carrying firearms can effectively neutralize a threat even if collateral damage could result.

Anti gunners can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I do not want to "disarm" America. No one has mentioned that, but the ear muffs and the sound of frantic, frightened shooters has drowned out that message. I resent the idea that if I don't have pistols strapped to my thighs I'm a chicken, a victim and somehow, un-American. I respect those who choose to own or use a gun, but I don't agree with the NRA's stand that background checks, waiting periods and an end to gun-show free-for-alls will lead to a registry or guns being confiscated. Hogwash! As it is, any fool or mentally ill person or criminal can go on Craigslist or put an ad in the paper or go to a gunshow and buy a gun and ammunition.
    I do not think a person who does not have a gun is a chicken. I have not said that at all.
    My only problem is when people want their opinion to be required by all.

I live in a state (even before the new ridiculous laws were passed) that has background checks and all that. To buy ammo I had to have my permit with me and show it.

I know someone who was turned down years ago (again, before the new crazy laws even) when all he wanted to buy was a hunting rifle. (Court ordered alcohol counseling for several DWIs made him too much of a risk.)

Even with those laws (background checks, etc) in place, criminals still have no problem getting guns. NYC has scary restrictive gun laws. (My NYS concealed carry permit does not apply to NYC.) People are still shot in NYC.
    The crazy guy who killed those first responders on Christmas eve right around the corner from me would not have passed a background check and being a convicted felon he could not legally own a gun anyway. The woman who bought him the guns he used passed though. If someone is buying guns for someone who is not supposed to have them I highly doubt they are going to admit it on any forms.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Gabby Gifford and spouse ...are making every effort to impose laws upon me that will effectuate their will. Note that virtually all of these people ...hire lots of security, of holders of handgun licenses (but who would deny them to anyone who's not "like them").
    Not expressing my opinions (whatever they may be) on firearms and not making any statements about who/how many/what kind of guns people should own. (Again, you don't know me, so don't assume that I am on either side of the argument. You would be wrong.)

But - Geeze! That's a little crass. I'll bet if you or your wife had had part of your brain shot out of your skull by someone who shouldn't have been carrying a gun, you would be a little more understanding of their position. And any security she might have had (?) didn't do her a hell of a lot of good.

4 members found this post helpful.

I bought my first pistol in November. A Ruger LC 9. Bought my second in January, a Smith&Wesson M&P 9 compact. It's my favorite. Hubby & I took the 2 six hour safety classes. We're having a good time at the target range even though range ammo is hard to come by.

1 members found this post helpful.

I listen to the NRA and all of its acolytes and think it's really funny that Obama supporters are accused of "drinking the Koolaid". Sure it wouldn't benefit the NRA one iota to raise fear and panic about (a) what legislation is intended and likely to pass and (b) what OMGeddon is headed our way when everything is taken over by Obama and his band of merry anarchists. No, the NRA has no agenda in this a'tall.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    I listen to the NRA and all of its acolytes and think it's really funny that Obama supporters are accused of "drinking the Koolaid". Sure it wouldn't benefit the NRA one iota to raise fear and panic about (a) what legislation is intended and likely to pass and (b) what OMGeddon is headed our way when everything is taken over by Obama and his band of merry anarchists. No, the NRA has no agenda in this a'tall.
    OF COURSE THE NRA HAS AN AGENDA!!! THEY'D BE IDIOTS IF THEY DIDN'T!!!

There is an entire phalanx of "anti-2nd Amendment" groups that also have agendas.

This is normal. It's guaranteed by the 1st Amendment!!!

The current Administration is the most hostile to the Constitution since Slippery Dick or LBJ. Or even FDR. Some on the Left (like the ACLU) are starting to see what Obama hath wrought. The question is can they overcome their prejudice and "just say no" to their darling.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat the Horse View Post
    And...what did you get?
    There were 250,000 concealed carry applications submitted in Kansas IN JANUARY 2013. I'm waiting until this summer to do that.
    Just curious, why get a conceal and carry permit? Kansas is an open carry state- on your person and in your auto- unless restricted by local law. I carry when needed without any problem.

2 members found this post helpful.

Part of responsible gun ownership, is responsible storage, and handling also. Some people do get careless with storage and tragedies happen, but most people I know safely store and handle guns, and keep them stored in a responsible manner. I have no children, and therefore am not worried about that part of safety, but when I have visitors I make sure everything is safe and secure before they get there.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Yesterday after I got home from the barn, we had 2 police helicopters and cops with dogs all over our bluff/peninsula looking for 2 men who had ended up here with a stolen car. (And the 2 suspects were white, btw, and they were caught. Gotta love police dogs.)

We have guns, but we don't have assault rifles. Although I'm thinking of buying an assault rifle to protect us from those crazy white men who are buying up all the assault rifles and ammo. I'm more afraid of white people stockpiling assault rifles and ammo, whites who oppose anything remotely representing "the government" and "them" than I am of "the government" and "them."

First it was the commies, then the blacks, now the government. People are always scared of some group coming to "get" them than of the criminals who live amongst them. I'm more scared of the scared white people who are stockpiling guns and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Cabelas has been out of stock on so much for months. Same with Walmart. There is no ammo to be found.
    Yep, award for Gun Salesman of the Year goes to Obama.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I think I love you, cloudyandcallie. That post hit the nail on the head.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

And I just want to add - Guilherme, I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I'm more scared of the scared white people who are stockpiling guns and ammo.
    I'm more scared of the government stockpiling guns and ammo.

9 members found this post helpful.

I am not a gun owner currently, and I have no plans on buying one. If you want to buy a gun...go for it. I get the purpose of shot guns and hand guns. Totally get it.

But, any of you gun owners care to explain why someone in the general public needs a military style assault rifle?
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    I am not a gun owner currently, and I have no plans on buying one. If you want to buy a gun...go for it. I get the purpose of shot guns and hand guns. Totally get it.

But, any of you gun owners care to explain why someone in the general public needs a military style assault rifle?
    As I said before - because government troops and police have them.

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    I know why we want and need semi automatic rifles, just like we want and need semi automatic handguns and semi automatic shotguns.

But I don't know what a military style assault rifle is. Can you explain to me what that is?

I'm trying to show you that you do not understand how firearms function and that you are basing your opinions on what the media feeds you or visual appearances.

But since I kinda get the jist of what you are saying I will answer you anyway.

First, we don't need to justify why we need ANY kind of firearm. I do not need to justify it to the government, so I certainly do not need to justify it to some stranger on the internet, or IRL for that matter.

However, semi automatic rifles with light recoil such as the AR-15 (made by multiple manufacturers), the SIG 550, Bushmaster/Remington ACR, FN SCAR-L, and many others are excellent tools for shooting sports such as NRA Highpower Rifle, USPSA Practical Rifle, and IDPA Defensive Carbine. They are ideal for hunting varmints such as groundhogs, coyotes, foxes, etc. And with proper ammo selection they are superb close quarters defensive firearms, which is why police use them when entering buildings in high risk situations.

So in short, we have them because we want them and we like them.

Sport
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMeQ2GBWqlE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0NrItQLO4

Hunting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1akx2jO1RA
    Last edited by caballero; Feb. 7, 2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I just read an article that stated that the hit-rate in actual on-the-ground situations (not target practice) for trained police officers (in the States) is 18%. Even in scenarios where they intend to shoot and are trained to shoot. So I certainly wouldn't presume that every layperson is going to have the 100% hit rate you are suggesting, even if they have the "right mindset".
    Which makes a very strong argument for keeping large capacity magazines.

I suspect most police officers are not under attack in their bedrooms but are in pursuit of someone either on foot or by car, so would not expect similar hit-rate statistics for home defense situations ... though I do wonder what they are.

I let my permit expire some years ago and am planning on renewing it when my tax return comes. We have a .12g mossberg but both hubby and I are wanting pistols. He told me he wants me to surprise him with one for our anniversary but that's a pretty big challenge with nothing else to go on!
    I would love suggestions on what would be good for me, I have fairly small hands and want something fairly compact, preferably not a revolver.