The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    It's bigger and bulkier than I'd like. The recoil on it is fine, but I've been shooting it forever, so I'm probably just used to it.
    We had a gun safety course at my house last year for the kids, and the instructor had some great smaller, more compact guns.
    I liked the Ruger P89 and the Glock 19.
    If it's to carry, I'd pass on the P89. BIG and BULKY. The Glock 19 is almost the perfect carry pistol, neither huge nor too small to be controllable. Just below the Glock 19 in size are several great options such as the Glock 26, and the Smith & Wesson M&P9c and M&P9 Shield (single stack version of the M&P9c).

I'd avoid anything less powerful than 9mm Luger for autopistols and .38 Special +P for revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnow View Post
    Kat the horse- I do hope you are keeping the gun in a safe place where there is no chance she could grab it and try it out on a friend. Are gun safety classes just not in your future? Do you know you are now at a higher risk of dying from a gun shot from an intruder than you were before? This is something the NRA just will not disclose.

LOVE the attitude here...I'm just another ignorant red-state idiot. I can smell your political bent from here, darlin'. Bless your little heart!

I have years of experience with firearms...I just have never owned my own. I also plan on purchasing a Ruger 10/22 rifle in the near future. (Gasp!).

My granddaughter's safety is assured. As I said, it is ADULT-ACCESSIBLE ONLY when it isn't on my person, and I won't wear it when she is here. She is way too young to be showing it off to friends, and since her parents are both very gun-savvy, granddaughter will be thoroughly educated on firearms long before she'll be able to 'play' with one.

"Daddy gave me the 'wherewithal'" means that he gifted me with $$$$. I didn't need anyone's permission; sorry for the confusion.

Kasjordan, you KNOW Daddy Government takes care of these people!

2 members found this post helpful.

I love my XD! I just got it in July. It's rather accurate, and easy to care for. I did replace the sights with TruGlo's, and like these much better than the standard. Especially in iffy daylight and weather.

My dad has an XDM, but it's just a hair bigger, and doesn't fit my hand as well. My next one will be a Beretta Nano. I've already decided.

Look local for ammo! Although some of the big stores are out, I've been able to find all I need at a couple local shops in the area. They've heard all the rumblings that the big stores did, and they put large orders in, too.

There was a case in Georgia recently, where a young mother was alone with her kids, and someone broke in. She had taken the kids, and retreated to a bedroom, and called 911, then the husband. The intruder had alread broken in the house, broke down the bedroom door even after she said she was armed, and ready. The intruder didn't even pause until she unloaded a bunch of bullets into him. Her husband heard the whole thing, and when she said the intruder was still moving around, the husband told her to blast him again. The intruder was not anyone the family knew, and apparently had a long criminal history. She shot him five times, and the man still was caught by the police fleeing the scene.

Since I live in the distant burbs, I have a shotgun, know how to use it, and am prepared to use it to defend myself. The chances of a sheriff's deputy getting to my house quickly is about zero. However, I'm sure my neighbors will be there shortly after the first shot is fired. My neighborhood is almost all current or former Military, and many have extra training, and are very protective.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    I've not bought a new one yet, but will this year. (told hubby I want a new one for my birthday)
    My current handgun is a 9mm, but I'd like something smaller. I'm curious to see what you other ladies use for your personal sidearm.
    A Ruger .380
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpvIMVdq3k
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Quote Originally Posted by Kat the Horse View Post

LOVE the attitude here...I'm just another ignorant red-state idiot. I can smell your political bent from here, darlin'. Bless your little heart!

I have years of experience with firearms...I just have never owned my own. I also plan on purchasing a Ruger 10/22 rifle in the near future. (Gasp!).

My granddaughter's safety is assured. As I said, it is ADULT-ACCESSIBLE ONLY when it isn't on my person, and I won't wear it when she is here. She is way too young to be showing it off to friends, and since her parents are both very gun-savvy, granddaughter will be thoroughly educated on firearms long before she'll be able to 'play' with one.

"Daddy gave me the 'wherewithal'" means that he gifted me with $$$$. I didn't need anyone's permission; sorry for the confusion.

Kasjordan, you KNOW Daddy Government takes care of these people!
    I cannot comprehend the attitude of people like jumpnow, which is basically that they would rather leave themselves at the mercy of a thug rather than fight because guns are "icky".

How little self respect and self worth do you have to have to consider your life so cheap and unimportant so as to leave its protection to someone else?

WTF

3 members found this post helpful.

Went to the gun show in Richmond last weekend and figured out what I wanted, but didn't end up getting it (because DH thought we could find a better price). I am trying to find a ruger LC9. I really like the way it feels and I can operate the saftey with one hand (and it has a safety) I filed out the concealed carry paperwork but need to drop it off, I might get that done tomorrow.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Sig Sauer Mosquito, with Stinger rounds in the magazine when I carry. I have a pistol range in my yard and use it regularly. Also, just got an awesome handbag from Coronado leather with a built in holster compartment. :-)

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Caballero-- I resent being called a coward because I choose not to arm myself, as you wrote to the other poster. What a horribly judgmental thing to say to another person! Many people, myself included, are not comfortable with firearms. I've shot a variety of them--from a simple .22 rifle to a .50 cal fully automatic "double aces" machine gun from a Vietnam-era helicopter. Because I have searched my conscience and concluded that I am not a person who wants to arm myself, this does not make me "cowardly". I am not you. You are not me. Your nasty, bullying attitude here on many topics grows old.

I think the armaments industry is enjoying the irrational fear growing in this country. Invest now!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Your nasty, bullying attitude here on many topics grows old.
    I see it as an even reply to the barrage of insulting invectives (gun crazies, paranoid, etc) that anti gunners HERE hurl at us every time it is convenient for them.

So if you (collectively) want to dish it out, be ready to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Went to the gun show in Richmond last weekend and figured out what I wanted, but didn't end up getting it (because DH thought we could find a better price). I am trying to find a ruger LC9. I really like the way it feels and I can operate the saftey with one hand (and it has a safety) I filed out the concealed carry paperwork but need to drop it off, I might get that done tomorrow.
    And if you don't really care for external safeties, as I do, the LC9 is perfectly safe to carry with the external safety disengaged since it has a double action trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    I cannot comprehend the attitude of people like jumpnow, which is basically that they would rather leave themselves at the mercy of a thug rather than fight because guns are "icky".

How little self respect and self worth do you have to have to consider your life so cheap and unimportant so as to leave its protection to someone else?
    WTF
    Before you go off on the incomprehensible attitude of another poster, you might want to more closely examine your own. I do not consider guns "icky" but I believe it is an indisputable fact that you and your loved ones are, statistically, at greater risk with a gun in the home.

Some of us weigh the odds of having to shoot an intruder against the statistics that say that guns put their owners and their families at greater risk and opt not to own one. For you to hold that up as an evidence that we non-gun-owners consider our lives "cheap and unimportant" is both stupid and offensive.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I believe it is an indisputable fact that you and your loved ones are, statistically, at greater risk with a gun in the home.
    There is nothing indisputable about statistics. They are easily manipulated, and anyone with a working knowledge of that branch of mathematics knows exactly how to do it.

But thanks for playing.

There is nothing indisputable about statistics. They are easily manipulated, and anyone with a working knowledge of that branch of mathematics knows exactly how to do it.

But thanks for playing.
    Denial is not a river in Egypt.

And your response still doesn't explain your idiotic comment about how those of us who choose not to own guns must somehow think our lives are worthless.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

5 members found this post helpful.

We just purchased a new .380 over the weekend. Went down and did all the paperwork at the county. Now to wait for the background check and such before we can go pick up the gun. What used to take 3 weeks is now projected to take 3 months.
    I feel really bad for the gun dealers. They have to sit on these guns while all the paper work takes forever to finish.

And for those who worry. Husband has been a gun owner since long before I met him. I took a handgun safety course before I applied for my permit. When not carried all of our guns are locked in a gun safe.

I see nothing wrong with people not wanting to have guns in their house. I also see nothing wrong with other people wanting dangerous things like skate board ramps and swimming pools (things I have no interest in having). You do what you want at your house and I will not jump up and down and insist you are stupid and clueless, and you let me do what I want to at my house. You not liking guns should not impose on your neighbors.

You do realize there are lots of people out there that do not like having horses around, right? If those people said no horses because they are dangerous how happy would you be?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I do not want to "disarm" America. No one has mentioned that, but the ear muffs and the sound of frantic, frightened shooters has drowned out that message. I resent the idea that if I don't have pistols strapped to my thighs I'm a chicken, a victim and somehow, un-American. I respect those who choose to own or use a gun, but I don't agree with the NRA's stand that background checks, waiting periods and an end to gun-show free-for-alls will lead to a registry or guns being confiscated. Hogwash! As it is, any fool or mentally ill person or criminal can go on Craigslist or put an ad in the paper or go to a gunshow and buy a gun and ammunition.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

8 members found this post helpful.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

And your response still doesn't explain your idiotic comment about how those of us who choose not to own guns must somehow think our lives are worthless.
    I see it as an even reply to the barrage of insulting invectives (gun crazies, paranoid, etc) that anti gunners HERE hurl at us every time it is convenient for them.

So if you (collectively) want to dish it out, be ready to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Caballero-- I resent being called a coward because I choose not to arm myself, as you wrote to the other poster. What a horribly judgmental thing to say to another person! Many people, myself included, are not comfortable with firearms. I've shot a variety of them--from a simple .22 rifle to a .50 cal fully automatic "double aces" machine gun from a Vietnam-era helicopter. Because I have searched my conscience and concluded that I am not a person who wants to arm myself, this does not make me "cowardly". I am not you. You are not me. Your nasty, bullying attitude here on many topics grows old.

I think the armaments industry is enjoying the irrational fear growing in this country. Invest now!
    I don't have a problem with anyone who chooses to walk your path. I have a bunch of problems with people who walk your path demanding that I also walk it.

You, personally, may not make that demand but Slow Joe, the Pres, Mike Bloomberg, The Other Red Queen (Nancy P.), the entire Brady Bunch, Sly Stalone (and his ilk), Gabby Gifford and spouse, Chuck Schummer, Barb Boxer, and a host of others DO and are making every effort to impose laws upon me that will effectuate their will. Note that virtually all of these people are either highly placed public officials (with lots of taxpayer financed personal security), or very wealthy people who hire lots of security, of holders of handgun licenses (but who would deny them to anyone who's not "like them").

They are backed by the entire mainstream of American media who flaunt every unlawful use a weapon and bury every lawful use.

Do as you will in your personal life; leave others to do the same.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

10 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I believe it is an indisputable fact that you and your loved ones are, statistically, at greater risk with a gun in the home.

Some of us weigh the odds of having to shoot an intruder against the statistics that say that guns put their owners and their families at greater risk and opt not to own one.
    Thankfully, we have had to disarm armed intruders on our property (not including illegal hunters) only twice in the 32 years we've lived here. We would probably have been some other sort of statistic if we weren't armed. Anyone that comes here looking for trouble finds it with no problem. Indisputable fact with real life "statistics".

If help is maybe 45 minutes away when you need to dial 911, it had better be part of your gun safe combination. It's different when you live out in the country.

10 members found this post helpful.

I suppose this is true if you are a coward who doesn't have the mindset to engage and stop the intruder in his tracks.

I suppose this is true if you are an idiot who thinks armed confrontations happen like they do on TV with lots of clickety click gunplay and tough talk.

It isn't true if you have the mental toughness and resolve to stop the SOB cold by pulling the trigger immediately the second you determine there is a deadly threat in your house.
    I just read an article that stated that the hit-rate in actual on-the-ground situations (not target practice) for trained police officers (in the States) is 18%. Even in scenarios where they intend to shoot and are trained to shoot. So I certainly wouldn't presume that every layperson is going to have the 100% hit rate you are suggesting, even if they have the "right mindset".
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

5 members found this post helpful.