The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Who has bought a new firearm in the past 2 months?

And...what did you get?

Fulfilling a wish I have had for several years, I was given the wherewithall to purchase a handgun for Christmas by my dad, and I was finally able to 'pull the trigger' on the purchase 2 weeks ago. Bought a Springfield Amory XD with the tactical barrel. I love it...so easy to use and my accuracy has much improved as I'm not anticipating that hard smack against the base of my thumb, nor aching wrist after an hour of practice.

This is my first personal pistol, and I am learning how to handle it safely and employ it in various possible situations effectively. It is too large to be a concealed carry, but open carry is legal in Kansas.

There were 250,000 concealed carry applications submitted in Kansas IN JANUARY 2013. I'm waiting until this summer to do that.

We live in a smaller city among middleclass neighborhoods, in the part of town adjacent to a hub of shopping centers. There have been several homes broken into in this area, including one incident recently where residents were home. Spooked me utterly...I have a post-school-aged daughter living at home, and my infant granddaughter comes daily for 'nap camp' 4-5 days a week. Having a pistol either on me, or in an easily-adult-accessible place just made sense.

For those who will immediately scream that I am putting my granddaughter at risk, I will hereby state I've watched the pistol CLOSELY when she was about, and it has NEVER shown any aggression, or violent inclination towards her!

I know lots of folks are arming themselves (and know why, too). Just wondered what you were buying.

6 members found this post helpful.

a side note that I was not aware of until yesterday is Virginia has a non-resident conceal handgun permit which has receptacle agreements with other states....

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

2 members found this post helpful.

Came really close the other day. But it was too expensive, so I passed.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Kat the horse-your cavalier attitude about the dangers to your grand daughter with a gun in the house could lead to tragic consequences. I do hope you are keeping the gun in a safe place where there is no chance she could grab it and try it out on a friend. Are gun safety classes just not in your future? Do you know you are now at a higher risk of dying from a gun shot from an intruder than you were before? This is something the NRA just will not disclose.

7 members found this post helpful.

Just a question to the OHMYGODNEVERHAVEAGUNINTHEHOUSE people. So, what exactly WOULD you do if you were alone in the house- and BANG- your basement door comes crashing open while you're up in the kitchen? Call the police and hope that in the 10/15 minutes it takes them to get there, the intruder doesn't find you hiding under the bed????? Last week, there was a police incident in my very rural neighborhood, about 1/4 mile up the road- just enough that we could see the lights on the cars. My daughter came to me and told me that her friend who lives even closer could see cops with their guns drawn, some with shotguns and a man behind a tree...Heavily wooded behind us, someone could easily get to our house unseen thru the woods....I didn't just lock my doors and worry.....I locked my doors, turned on the outside lights, got the kid and the GSD and we went into the back bedroom. I had a 44 . I wasn't worried. Luckily it was a contained domestic incident, but most things that happen aren't going to give you warning by being able to see lights and receiving a text message. I'm serious when I ask how someone would protect themselves otherwise?
    Kerri

I just purchased my first firearm from a good friend. Last fall I took a three day shotgun safety and firing class. It was a blast target shooting skeet. I'd wanted to buy one since the class but didn't feel knowledgable enough to shop by myself. My friend is a gun afficianodo and had a 12 gauge semi-auto Remington 1187 he sold me. He's going to instruct me on its use and care this weekend.

I grew up in the country around firearms, primarily shotguns, but rarely handled them myself. I'm not worried in the least about the government taking my guns nor am I against stringent regulation of firearms so this purchase wasn't a knee jerk OMG getagunbeforetheyreoutlawed move. I'm just a gal who likes to shoot.

Oh sheesh...

a) She said 'adult accessible'
    I am sure that is not in the toy chest.

b) LOL at the action hero scenario...
    I am pretty sure that going back to find where I put the gun down won't be it, and should I do find it...the holes I'd be shooting in creation would be pitiful...not to mention possibly painful to everybody except the intruders.

But I did giggle a bit....when I read the OP got permission from her dad to buy a gun, then she states that she has a nearly adult/adult daughter and grand child!

I don't buy into the 'gun for home protection' thing - nor the hysterical 'are you gonna rely on police' bit either.

But then again...I can't keep track of my cellphone, I don't think I should assume I could do it with a gun....

congratulations to the OP tho I 'think' my 9mm is a Springfield.
    It's a nice accurate gun, I think DH liked it even better than the Ruger we had once upon a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Not yet, but am getting ready to purchase one. My husband has his concealed permit, as does my son and one of my daughter's. I grew up with guns, so am quite comfortable around them. I am trying to decide which kind I want.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnow View Post
    Do you know you are now at a higher risk of dying from a gun shot from an intruder than you were before?
    I suppose this is true if you are a coward who doesn't have the mindset to engage and stop the intruder in his tracks.

I suppose this is true if you are an idiot who thinks armed confrontations happen like they do on TV with lots of clickety click gunplay and tough talk.

It isn't true if you have the mental toughness and resolve to stop the SOB cold by pulling the trigger immediately the second you determine there is a deadly threat in your house.

8 members found this post helpful.

We have guns. My kids, unlike kids that grow up in a house without guns, understand what they are, what they do, and what you do when you find a gun at somebody else's house. there is no mystery, no allure, and certainly no "playing" with them, although we shoot on a semi-regular basis.

6 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations on being proactive about your security! "When seconds count, help is minutes away -- if you're lucky!"

Background checks soared in November and December, then dropped in January. Why get a background check when there's little on the shelves to buy? The firearm and and manufacturers are running full bore trying to keep up with demand. Heck, I can't even find target-grade .22s to do a little paper-punching with.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Congrats on the new purchase! I keep looking but haven't found one yet. XH is keeping an eye out for me as well. I'd LOVE to buy an AR-15. Have fired the xBIL's and it's a NICE gun. Of course I was in the Army Reserves for 10 years so I have training on the M-16. Unfortunately, the prices have skyrocketed and there's no way I could afford one now.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Cabelas has been out of stock on so much for months. Same with Walmart. There is no ammo to be found.

I've not bought a new one yet, but will this year. (told hubby I want a new one for my birthday)
    My current handgun is a 9mm, but I'd like something smaller. I'm curious to see what you other ladies use for your personal sidearm.
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    I've not bought a new one yet, but will this year. (told hubby I want a new one for my birthday)
    My current handgun is a 9mm, but I'd like something smaller. I'm curious to see what you other ladies use for your personal sidearm.
    Try a .380 auto-loader. It's sometimes called a "9mm short".
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    My current handgun is a 9mm, but I'd like something smaller.
    Is it size (bulk), weight, or recoil that is the issue? 9 mm handguns come in a wide range of sizes and weights.

We just bought a Ruger American Rifle...for coyote hunting I don't know for sure but that makes I think 10 or 12 guns in the house now.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Is it size (bulk), weight, or recoil that is the issue? 9 mm handguns come in a wide range of sizes and weights.
    It's bigger and bulkier than I'd like. The recoil on it is fine, but I've been shooting it forever, so I'm probably just used to it.
    We had a gun safety course at my house last year for the kids, and the instructor had some great smaller, more compact guns.
    I liked the Ruger P89 and the Glock 19.
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

I've got several on my "shopping list" but they are mostly historical pieces. I might go for an M-1 Garand from CMP as they have a new supply.

The present mania about "assault weapons" is the product of a political agenda aided and abetted by the NPR, the the Major Networks, etc. It's mostly based on lies and fear. Anytime the government intentionally embarks upon such a campaign bad things will happen. Indeed, in the future we speak of "Obamaism" and "the gun scare" in the same way we speak of "McCarthyism" and the "red scare."

The following little video tells the story of why the "911 option," while important, is limited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnwyJad-Vf0

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

5 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

The Walmart up the street has ammo, but not nearly the selection they used to have (about 1/3rd). And nothing for my .3030 or the 9mm. XH just called actually as he was buying some .17 for the boy's rifle. Said he was able to buy some (finally... said it took FOREVER for someone to come open the case), but that he was asked if the ammo was for a handgun or a rifle. That's weird and a little unnerving IMHO.

Add to my want list... a 20ga shotgun. I've fired a 12ga before and while I can... it's not fun (too big for me).

FYI, I just got a flyer in my email last night that this weekend Cabela's is having a bunch of gun classes and offering a $25 gift card with any $35 or higher NRA membership. That's supposedly at ALL Cabela stores. Makes it a little tempting to drive the 2 hours to the closest to me (Michigan).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike