The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Also in CT,we have about a foot and it'saccumulating quickly! We just did an interim snowblowing, and the wind is seriously picking up.

Nineteen inches and building here, with at least eight hours or more to go. They have upped our projection from 18 inches to 30 or 35. The clean up is going be one heck of a job.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Just measured again at midnight, 2 feet now in the back yard.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Wow! Hope all stay safe. When I hear of all those snow loads, I worry about roof collapse, especially barns and arenas as those always seem to go. Good luck to all of you. Maybe I'll have French toast tomorrow to commiserate!

1 members found this post helpful.

Reports of 35" here this morning and still snowing lightly. Thank goodness my apartment has underground utilities - power has remained on to this point. Sounds like UI has done a pretty good job getting power restored through the night though. They were reporting 1700 outages with about 1200 of those in Hamden when I went to bed last night, this morning they are down to around 100 outages.

We'll be coming in at 30 inches here once it is done. Boston just broke 3 feet and it's still going on.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I think I'm at about 2.5 ft. It's way over my knees and slogging through it is a challenge. There are 4-5' drifts in certain areas.

Good morning, campers! We have no idea how much snow has fallen here on Boston's north shore. Nearest town reporting on the news says 26", but we range from bare grass to 5 foot drifts because of the still substantial winds. The wind is actually making "dust devils" of the snow, which is rather cool.

Props to our little municipal power company as we only had a brief outage overnight.

And major, MAJOR props to our boarders and tenants. A tenant who used to keep a horse here plowed his way in from his mom's house in the next town, dug away a four foot drift to enter the barn and fed, watered and hayed the horses this morning. Boarder who is a vet drove in behind him to pick stalls and check that all is well.

Now we have to deal with an astronomically high tide with a significant storm surge. LIkely the beaches and dunes will be reconfigured, which IS horse related since we can only ride below the high water mark on the beach.

Hope everyone gets off as lightly as we seem to have. And spare a thought for the wild life that has to make it through this storm with little protection. I hope our bluebirds survived!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

It's not over here (southern Maine). There's at least 2' on the ground with huge snowdrifts. There is no way I'll be able to leave my house anytime soon, my road is totally impassable. The snow is up to my mailbox. We are shoveling the driveway little by little, but the wind makes it a bit futile right now...

It's such peace of mind to know that my horse is safe at my friend's small backyard barn, with electric water buckets and a generator in case we lose power! She'll stay in her stall for a couple days until all fences are checked and a path to the paddocks is cleared.

I hope everyone makes it through unharmed. It's an impressive storm, I don't think I've seen the likes of it in the 20 years I've been here.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I measured about 26" in the center of the yard, without drifts. Of course, I only have a 31" inseam, so it was up to mid-thigh. We'll be spending the day shoveling and snowblowing. I haven't gotten word on the pony yet from the SAINTLY woman who cares for them, but I'm sure they're OK.
    Last night I was thinking about riding in the snow. But today, withthe roads stillclosed, it's prettyclear that's not happening.

Killingworth CT...somewhere around 34" here.
    Or another way to say it: Half Past My Ass.

Snow is deeper than my inseam. Makes walking in it one helluva cardio workout! Horses are about belly deep, maybe a little deeper. They're having a blast though! Trampling it down a bit.

But there won't be much clearing out today other than some pass-throughs. Local plows can't move on the roads, basically the big town and state trucks and any really large tractors are moving in this. And snowmobiles.

One of the news reports was asking for snowmobilers to go out onto some of the highways to rescue all the people stuck there. Snow is over many car hoods, cars are out of gas and the plows can't get anywhere with the stuck cars. I don't know how they'll move the cars once they get the people out though.

2 of the nearby firestations just requested snowmobiles from anyone nearby so they can get to any life-or-death calls that come in. Their vehicles can't move in this either.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

34 inches of snow here in Berlin. My DH is director of emergency management for our town so I was privvy to all the nightmare of dealing with the storm last night. By midnight, town plows were getting stuck and they were working on trying to get payloaders on the road. State had not even plowed down the Berlin Tpk. The fire department had a member go out with his own personal snowmobile and was checking vehs abandoned on rt 9. Also he was available to transport medical personal to a call if necessary.

Fire department responded to multiple CO calls due to blocked vents on furnaces over night.

Our PD has already responded to a couple of calls for help from plow drivers being harrassed and screamed at by residents.

Also just got a report of a barn collapse in Middlefield with animals trapped.

Spoke to farm owner where my horse is and she already told me to not even try and get out there today.

This is just unbelievable!!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

A whopping 2 inches. Everybody was all in a tizzy, and we didn't get much.

Hope everyone made out okay.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

27" in front of my house in Lincoln, Mass. Where it's drifted, it's quite a bit deeper!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I am ready for the driving ban to be lifted in MA, but understand why it is a good idea. Probably makes it much easier for the plows/ etc to clean up.

Wow MB and everybody.

There's a news item on yahoo that has an interview with a CT couple expecting on Sunday. From what I recall of snow in the Sierras, I really hope she delivers late. Like several days late if she needs to get to a hospital for anything unexpected.

Best wishes to all of you and I hope you and your animals are tucked up with plenty of food and water. And remember, this is Coth and we Must Have Pics!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I keep reading here and thinking, with my 27" inseam, I would be high-centered, trying to get around in those snowdrifts.

I hope you stay safe, don't take any chances, wait this out.

I'm glad to not be in new england this winter but my mom posted this picture to her fb this morning. That is a 10ft door and the main entrance into our barn. Thankfully the big arena doors on the other side were clear enough for her to get in. The house and barn are on a hill so we always get big drifts but that is the deepest I've ever seen it right there. Down in the valley where my dad lives (5 minutes away) the drifts were 1m deep and it was altogether too windy to say exactly how much snow fell

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Killingworth CT...somewhere around 34" here.
    Or another way to say it: Half Past My Ass.
    This pretty much describes the snow here in Hamden as well. The 6am reports in this area were 35", but it didn't stop snowing until around 9am. I went out earlier to get a head start on shoveling out my car...didn't make it more than about 10' before I gave up and decided to wait until after they clear the driveway which will likely leave me with even more snow around my car. I've seen snow plenty of times before moving north this past December, but this is is the first I've encountered snow so deep you can't walk through it (wade through it might be a better description).