The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Great pictures, Lori! Lots of snow!

We topped out at 32" and are now taking a break from shoveling out. It's ging to be a long day.
    Here's a photo of what one person in Fairfield woke up to:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

It sure is a good workout! The sun is out, but the wind is still strong and blowing the snow around. I got word that the horses where I board are all set, but it took the folks who care for them extra time to get there. They had to clear out their own house and then wAlk through deep snow to the barn. The horses do seem to like the snow...at least for the first day. Just like kids!

Looks like I moved from CT near where MistyBloo lives to Albany NY on Tuesday, just intime! about 5 inches here. Heh.

I miss the fun. I want to come home.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

I missed taking a great photo of hubby belly-gliding on a snow drift to close our mailbox, which had stayed opened all night and was full of snow.

The both of us spent about 2 hours this morning clearing the (very short, ) driveway and digging out my small car. The neighbor came over with his snow blower and helped us remove the WALL of snow left by the town plow at the end of the driveway. It stopped snowing and the winds died down. Might venture out to the store soon.

I'm looking forward to riding in snow and/or xc skiing tomorrow!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Just think of all that moisture you are getting, how green will your valley be once spring is here.

Yeah....once mud season is over.

It is good for the reservoirs.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

wow CT really got hammered!

I posted this on th OT "snowmaggedon" thread, but here's what my place looked like. We got a little over 2'

Here's what I saw when I opened my back door:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9244445...n/photostream/
    My back yard:

My truck:

Of course, right before I went to shovel the truck out, the plow went by again. The snow bank was about 4' tall and 3.5' wide. Took me over 1.5hrs. Bah.
    Debating on if I need to go to the gym tomorrow.

Of course, the best news is: we didn't loose power, and the wind blew most of the snowoff the roof so I didn't have to shovel the roof. Yay!!!

A now a message from New England.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blizzard.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	37611

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps69f50e57.jpg
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

3 members found this post helpful.

OK, a dumb question----When you try to shovel your way out, where do you put all that snow so that you're not making somewhere else even more impassable?

Glad so many COTHers ( and other folks too) are well considering what is being dealt with. And hope the critters in the collapsed barn will be OK!

Quote Originally Posted by incentive View Post
    OK, a dumb question----When you try to shovel your way out, where do you put all that snow so that you're not making somewhere else even more impassable?

Glad so many COTHers ( and other folks too) are well considering what is being dealt with. And hope the critters in the collapsed barn will be OK!
    You shovel it to wherever you don't need to get through, like your yard, and end up with ginormous snow piles.

I dug out my car, but can't actually get it out of the driveway because of where the snow banks/piles ended up and the layout of our driveway. I guess I'm going to be trying to shovel back the banks/piles tomorrow so that I can get out...

Quote Originally Posted by incentive View Post
    Yup, this is the question of the weekend! Depending on where you live, the answer could be:
    - In your neighbor's yard.
    - In the street hoping the town plows make it disappear.
    - Just off the side of your driveway in a huge wall perfect for a snow fort, but which will melt all over the driveway and refreeze every night for a month.

If you have horses, what NOT to do is pile it against the fence line. We've had a couple of clever ones just walk out over the snow, very pleased with themselves. If you have an outdoor manure pile, it can make a great ramp onto the top.

It IS awfully pretty today, and the there is no wind! Finally! Tons of animal tracks all over the yard that will be fun to decipher, too.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

We didn't get the blizzard here - too far west and a little too far from Lake Ontario, though last week (1/31 & 2/1) we did get hit with a narrow, but intense, lake effect band. The cold OTOH created some beautiful scenes this morning with all the trees outlined with a thin layer of ice. Not enough for damage, just very pretty.

http://photobucket.com/Feb2013Winter

The cat picture is how they are dealing with the cold .

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post

The cat picture is how they are dealing with the cold .

Christa
    Looks like they're really suffering! Gorgeous photos - thanks for posting!

This is all we had from the front yesterday, a dust storm they called a brown out.
    Doesn't hold a candle to those mountains of snow, but we would not mind a bit of moisture, even in the form of a blizzard.

I too wondered about the collapsed barn and the critters in there.

Winds were sustained at 60+ m/h, gusts to 75+ m/h and this picture was in the middle of a sunny day:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3052.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	37612  

Update on the cows in the collapsed barn in Middlefield, CT:

http://durham.patch.com/articles/bar...trapped-inside

Per the report, 5 were brought out safely, 2 had to be euthanized immediately and 2 more were injured and might not survive. A number of cows were in an undamaged part of the barn and are safe, according to the report.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Update on the cows in the collapsed barn in Middlefield, CT:

http://durham.patch.com/articles/bar...trapped-inside

Per the report, 5 were brought out safely, 2 had to be euthanized immediately and 2 more were injured and might not survive. A number of cows were in an undamaged part of the barn and are safe, according to the report.
    Thank you for the report.
    Too sad.

Bluey, that dust storm is scary! There must be grit everywhere after one of those blows through. How do horses handle them?

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Bluey, that dust storm is scary! There must be grit everywhere after one of those blows through. How do horses handle them?
    Horses don't seem to notice, if very bad, they stay behind the panels in the barn, out of the wind, asleep.
    Some horses get runny eyes if they stay out in the wind and dust very long.

I expect those in the big snows just keep their horses in for some time?

Others may have different experiences but ours were kept in Friday late afternoon through yesterday afternoon, mainly because they are stabled every night this time of year anyway, AND the wind was so ferocious that we were worried about downed trees and fence lines. They went out in small sets yesterday to get their sillies out, and today they are out all day as usual in snow up to their knees.

Some of mine love, really love rolling in the snow. Others spend their day pawing through the snow to find frozen grass and ignoring the hay we put out. The youngsters had a blast running and bucking and just generally being fools which was fun to watch.

The trick is to shovel out the gate swings to the paddocks. Not fun but very necessary.