The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

OliverReed...I'm 9.5 miles in from the shore/LI Sound and it started snowing here 10 minutes ago. It went from nothing to snowing like heck immediately, LOL! The fine stuff, no wind yet. Hope that helps you figure out how the storm is moving, guessing you've got a little time left.

I love a good blizzard too! I just finished catering the wildlife buffet under my deck. I have a second story deck on the back of my house, so under it gets very little snow. I have suet and seed feeders hanging under there and the ground gets covered in corn, sunflower seeds and peanuts.

Only down side is Mr Blue pre-planning every second of the next 48 hours. Gotta love those type A, OCD spouses, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oh yeah, filled up the bird feeders last night! My hubby is the opposite of yours and I am Miss Planner. I drive him crazy.

We here at work have decided that we're outta here around 11:30. We are lucky in that we have a wonderful employer that lets us do this.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Started about 20 minutes ago here in central CT
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    Started about 20 minutes ago here in central CT
    Just seeing a few flakes here on the MA/CT line due north of Hartford.

I'm in Holyoke, MA (just north of Springfield) and it has started. Snowing pretty good, too.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

And here comes the snow in Newburyport They are letting us out of work at 2:30 oh boy. I hate snow
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Drive careful on the way home, Cashela! Watch out for the drivers who lose their minds when there's snow on the roads.

I never worry much about driving in snow...it's the other drivers who scare me silly, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    I'm in Holyoke, MA (just north of Springfield) and it has started. Snowing pretty good, too.
    you're right near me. Snowing pretty hard here in Westfield at the moment.

And the wind is freshening, too. It's looking like 15-20 out of the east, with (as of yet) light, horizontal snow. My horses are all butt to the wind, but still look happy enough to stay out for a while longer.

While everyone else is out buying kitchen necessities, I went out and got some spring flowers for my mom and for me. I kind of think they're a necessity in weather like this.

And lots of wine.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

The boys are both bedded down in the barn, happily munching hay. the were happy to come in. I just took a hot shower, ran the dishwasher and am ready for the power to go off. Hopefully it won't, but I'm ready anyway.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

Took the corgi for a run up at the farm, figure it will be over her head by tomorrow! Then brought the horses in. Got a great picture of Lizzy covered in snow. Will try and post it later. Now of to bed for a few hours sleep. So glad I do not have to work tonight!
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

It started in the middle of the night here in Ontario and hubby cleared about 1 ft from our driveway (in town). Not windy (in town). Got a text from BO earlier to please not come to the barn as the roads were not cleared, drifts everywhere and the wind at the barn made it almost impossible to keep the lane clear and to make paths to the paddocks. So the horses were in for most of the day or all day. Outside horses were happy munching on hay, butts to the wind.
    I do have to go for groceries but I have an all wheel drive Volvo and, in town, I don't foresee a problem.

My neighbour is getting married again today! They picked a great day!!

I just took some pictures of goings on around my barn earlier today. The highlight was getting my 30 year old donkey into a stall for the very first time in her life.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9872964&type=1

The older horses (& donkey) at my farm are in as three out of five of them are around 30 years old (and the other two are around 25). The younger horses are out for the duration, with run-ins, heavy blankets and TONS of hay.

1 members found this post helpful.

Stupid blizzard LOL. Got sent home at noon, picked up a chuck roast on the way home, and now making pot roast! Supposed to get around 2', but the big deal is the wind- supposed to be 60mph+ Will take pics tomorrow and post if I still have power. (fingers crossed!)

Just got a robo-telephone call from CL&P, basically telling me that when the power goes out to call them to let them know, and then sit and wait. They also suggested going up on their website for survival tips.

Here's the CL&P phone number to report outages: 860-286-2000
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

We have about 4 inches here in the Stonington/Mystic area-extreme SE CT, and it is really starting to get quite windy. We've had some 25 to 28 mph gusts-the tall pines across the pond are really starting to sway...

They are saying the worst of it will be after 9 PM tonight, so it is really possible we will get up to 2 feet of snow! The reporters get so d*mn spazzy and hysterical when they do the initial stories, it is really hard to believe them.

We've had steady snowfall since 9this morning, and it's still going! It's actually picked up quite a bit, and is more snowsnow, than wet snow. It was supposed to be a rainy mix most of the day, but apparently the Mother Nature didn't get the memo, lol. There is probably 2 inches accumulated, and the wind is picking up. I'm on the Vineyard, so you never know what we might get!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

About 4 inches so far and a lot of wind. Went to ride this morning and it was just starting when I left the barn at about 11:30. BO says horses will be inside tomorrow, most likely.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Tomorrow is supposed to be perfect weather up here. about 30 F, sunshine and blue skies. Perfect winter riding weather. My DD is really looking forward to a hack on her mare who just loves snow!!
    It is still coming down steadily here and we have had over a foot for sure. No wind in town for now, but it is supposed to pick up overnight. Rain on Monday... argh
    Can't we just keep the beautiful white snow for a while and not transform it in a dangerous slippery mess?
    No power outage mentioned so far around here.

Little after 9pm here in central CT. 12 inches on the deck and the worst of the storm isn't even here yet.
    ignorance!" Officer Beck