The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Still don't quite understand this french toast tradition.
    LOL, even us lifelong snow weather people have no idea why milk, bread and eggs fly off the shelves when a snowstorm is coming.
    And people buy multiples of each! You see carts with 5 gallons of milk, 8 loaves and bread and stacks of egg cartons. WTH? If you lose power are you planning on cold bread and egg soup with milk broth? And an enormous VAT of it?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Charge up all your phones and computers, and if you drink coffee...Make it now..

Mr. Chief just brought home a bottle of wine. Almost beats the French Toast! I am going to try to make arrangements so that both of my horses come in for the storm. this one's too big for outdoor turnout.

The French toast thing is a New England thing. We did it when I lived up in New Hampshire, too. It's a bonding thing: Cheap so everyone can afford it, and makes the storm better to deal with. The idea behind buying fresh goods before a snow storm, which some people wonder why we do, is that you if you lose power you can still stick them into the snow on the back porch and keep things cold. We all buy canned veggies, fruits, tuna and dry goods, but we enjoy the tradition of our french toast on the day of the storm. So we all kid about buying bread, milk and eggs before each and every storm!

Idahorider, I moved here 27 years ago, and until the last few years we never really lost power. Then they began changing the lines over for fiber optics a few years back, and they fell down more than they stayed up. The electric company recently upgraded the infrastructure around here, and the lines stayed up in the 60+ mph winds recently, which was an improvement! However, we are getting more super storms than we did before, so we are waiting to lose power again. We are on a generator. If you're going to live in the woods, you really need to get one, and now folks in the suburbs have gotten on the bandwagon as well.

I'm so happy I've got my wine for this one. I'm going to have some chocolate, too! And of course, French Toast! I'll be back up online after the storm once the power goes back on.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck, everyone. Right now coastal VA seems like a good place to be---unlike during hurricane season!

Lifelong New England resident, and yes, there's been some weather over the years. Wind from every quarter, all manner of precipitation, stray tornadoes (keep 'em in tornado alley, I say!), hurricanes, fierce lightning and this past October an earthquake.

But all of the above are better then the greenheads, ticks and mosquitoes!

Anyway, the only thing that really worries me with this storm is the wind. We're very near the ocean and we get pounded but we designed the barn with weather in mind. Hay and shavings are in the loft. Plenty of feed is stored in the feed lockers. Stalls are 13x13. There is a medium sized turnout right behind the barn we can put sets out in while we pick stall if weather permits. Town water so we don't need power for that. Lots of windows so we can see even without lights (unless it's dark). AND the piece de la resistance, manure tip is enclosed and attached to the barn.

If the people who are supposed to do the barn during the storm can't make it, I'll hike down the hill, feed and water the horses. And make them feel really guilty forever.

And we laid in a case or two of wine as our emergency preparedness.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Frugalannie, you're singin' my song! Enjoy the wine!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    And we laid in a case or two of wine as our emergency preparedness.
    /waves hi

Yep, just stocked up on hard cider, for the duration. Working from home tomorrow and may sneak out to the barn in the morning before it's really snowing...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    and if you drink coffee...Make it now..
    With a natural gas stove and water heater, the power can go out for as long as it likes. So long as water comes out of the tap I'll have my hot coffee and hot showers, thank you very much.......

Storms like this make me glad I am boarding out. School for tomorrow is already cancelled, and I have all the milk, eggs and bread I'll need!

wow, there is no special prep here... horses are boarded at different barns with people on site. The BOs are ready with lots of hay, water, etc. I am sure the horses will go out tomorrow... As far as us at the house, nothing special either. I am grocery shopping tomorrow, but I don't expect a rush...
    We have not been ordered off the roads... my daughter is planning to leave early to make it to work on time...
    Finally, typical Canadian weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    If you guys could, please log in after the storm and let us know how much you got. Hopefully no one loses power, but it looks to be quite the storm/blizzard coming at you.

Should I start a new thread for posting snow amounts? or just come to this one?
    Joanne, I'll modify the original title to have everyone post how much snow that they got here, easier to keep it all in one thread.

Most of the prep is done. One of the other boarders is a part time teacher so school is already cancelled for her. She is going to get to the barn early (around 0630 and feed and get the horses out while the weather is decent. I'll head down later after I get out of work to help finish doing stalls and get them all bedded and ready for the next 24 hours. Hopefully by Saturday afternoon we can get them out again for a few hours so they can stretch their legs and give us a chance to do stalls.

Farm owner is all set for feeding and watering for us on Friday night and Saturday morning.

I also have these for a back-up for shlepping water if needed plus a couple of large jerry cans for water

http://www.bitofbritain.com/H2Go_Bag_p/3866.htm
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Oh I also love the nickname people are calling this storm....The Clusterfluff 2013!!!
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

WPLR named the storm that, they had a poll on their website asking for names and Clusterfluff won, LOL!

I made Mr Blue go out for milk tonight when he saw the gallon we had wasn;t full. He likes to over-prepare...but then I also tend to bake during storms and he likes lots of milk with cookies and cupcakes, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

MistyBlue, did you ever find a way to get that tractor over CDHR? That was really nice of you to offer it to them to use! You rock!
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Weather like this sometimes makes me wonder why I moved away from Southern California but then I remember the earthquakes, the brush fires, the flooding, the mudslides, the Santa Ana winds and realize that maybe a snow storm isn't really that bad :-D
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

At least you know a snowstorm is coming. In Southern California, the earthquakes were always a surprise. No generator. Only one horse at home, trough usually holds us through power outages, but I will stash water in the basement for this one. Wood stove heats the whole house. Looking forward to a generator once the kids finish college .

MistyBlue, did you ever find a way to get that tractor over CDHR? That was really nice of you to offer it to them to use! You rock!
    Yes, it finally got there last night! The kid/guy who said he'd do it...well he can be a great kid and he can be a little wanker at times, LOL! Thankfully one of the volunteers there has a flat trailer and came by last night about 7:30 to pick it up.

And of course since I haven't driven that one in a while, I started it up before to warm it up and check fluids and it's low on hydraulic. I just texted them to pick some more up.

And California has scary-arse weather! We get Nor'Easters. Woop-de-do. And you can stay safe with just bread, eggs and milk!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    With a natural gas stove and water heater, the power can go out for as long as it likes. So long as water comes out of the tap I'll have my hot coffee and hot showers, thank you very much.......

Don't your gas water heater has an electric control that turns the gas on and off?
    You may want to check that out, if the electricity goes out.

Well, I'm all set now except need to fill up gas tank in car. I'm at work, it hasn't started snowing here yet. Husband works in Vermont, outside (BRRRRR) and he is working from 6 am to 2 pm today. He'll be fine getting home, has a big ol' 1/2 ton pickemup truck. We put the generator in place last night and tested that and the snowblower. Have lots and lots of wine and stocked up on cat food.

I'm just sure we are going to lose power due to the high winds. Generator pretty much takes care of the whole house, though. If we do lose power we'll be feeding our elderly neighbors across the street.

I love a good blizzard!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!