The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Paula, well said. I feel you here

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Far be it for me to stir the pot...... but Dec 2012 issue of Practical Horseman had an article on riding bareback. The author bio went as follows.

"Carolyn Del Grosso became a bareback enthusiast when she started training her Honoverian stallion, Arklicht, whom she imported from Europe as a 7-month old in 1984. Finding it difficult to fit a saddle to his extremely wide body, she soon learned that he preferred to be ridden bareback. "He was happier and freer in his shoulders and more accommodating in his back," she says. Resorting to the saddle only on rare occasions, such as for lessons and shows, Carolyn trained Arklicht through Grand Prix level, earning her USDF bronze, silver, and gold medals along the way. Over the years, the pair performed bareback demonstrations at various expos and charity shows. Carolyn still rides the now 28 year old stallion as well as three of his offspring.. In addition to her day job a s a bookkeeper, she gives riding lessons, trains clients' horses, and serves on the board of the Potomac Valley Dressage Association."
    Isabeau, do you have the article? I'd really like to read it. BTW PVDA is my group!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Yes, I have it. Now the caveat is, I don't really agree with a lot of the mechanics... Oh well, it's not a perfect world. But I was pretty enthused to see an article addressing it. The quality of many of the horse maganizes has been improving these last few years. I mean Dressage Today used to be a TOTAL piece of garbage. But they are firing on all thrusters and boldly going where not national dressage voice has gone before. And Practical Horseman seems to be doing well these past few years also.

I haven't checked out Equus lately. It was good initially then tanked at one point. There are a few online I'd like to look at, but reading them online is just a PITA at my tech access level.

Link doesn't work anymore.