The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2012
    Posts
    1,984

    Default lest we forget

    According to this guy, Isabel's riding sux. ;-)

    http://spirithorseltd.com.futuresite...obyjumping.jpg


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2007
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    2,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I thought she was occasionally being heavy handed, but that article on bitless dressage said that sometimes you might find you have to use stronger aids (in the debate pro and con).Paula
    You do realize that this is just a halter, and not that tightly fitted, right? If you have access to a round pen or smallish paddock, for starters, give it a try.

    Does anyone remember another fun video when Werth invited a mountless Kittel to ride double with her during a prize giving ceremony? Picture here. Scroll down. http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...009-cdi-bremen


    4 members found this post helpful.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Satchmo clearly loves his job and looks like he would be so much fun to ride. Wow!

    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Does anyone remember another fun video when Werth invited a mountless Kittel to ride double with her during a prize giving ceremony? Picture here. Scroll down. http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...009-cdi-bremen
    No, but after seeing how some of the horses behaved in the victory laps at WDM and watching Kittel's horse bolt and run away with him, that took some balls.


    So many people, it seems, do not understand contact and are afraid to use the reins, so they confuse any contact with the reins as "heavy handed" riding. Even in a well-trained grand prix horse, there are only so many minutes of self-carriage that the horse can be expected to handle in a given ride.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    You do realize that this is just a halter, and not that tightly fitted, right? If you have access to a round pen or smallish paddock, for starters, give it a try.

    http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...009-cdi-bremen
    Of course I did realize that after and said what I said. (notice the italics in my last post) In a couple of posts now I said something to that effect -didn't realize he was in a halter, etc. I was not taking the rider apart if that was your concern. I made an observation, got the translation of the description following the initial video and then said "oh, I see. That explains it". I did also gush all over her seat so rest assured I was not picking.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct. 30, 2009
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    Wow. A top rider having fun with her horse. Who would think?.....I bet she actually likes him too....
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    What are you talking about? I certainly hope you are not referring to my post because I did not say her hands were harsh. I said that I thought (notice the italics again) her hands were sometimes heavy at first but then I realized she was bitless. Again, I also said she had an amazing seat. I also commented on the initial facebook posting that I thought she compressed his neck a bit, but after someone graciously posted a translation of the blurb I realized what was going on.

    So I am sure you are referencing some other people in this thread, Crockpot. I would hate to think you're simply stirring the crock pot.

    ETA: Here is my post -18 -just for your convenience. And at least you edit and have the courage to call me by my name instead of "some people".


    Awesome video -the horse is so forward and she is so relaxed. Thanks for pointing out she had no bridle because that explains how sometimes she seemed to be heavy handed. I threw the description into Google translate but it missed some of the idiomatic expressions.


    Show me where my post on Ms Werth was ignorant.

    Do I need to quote you just in case you change your post again?


    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post


    What happened to this positive thread about the video?

    Who crapped all over it? Hmmm?? Not me.
    I'm sorry, but I check the board first thing in the morning and find you wrongly accusing me and apparently trying to make trouble. I think it's only reasonable for me to correct your assumption with concrete evidence to the contrary.

    It is, as a number of us have said, a lovely and inspiring video.

    Edited to add the evidence, just in case you were inclined to change your post again.

    At 9:05 Eastern, you wrote (initially you said, "some people" and the you changed that to PE):

    And then PE claims Isabel's hands are harsh in the video because she didn't actually bother to watch the video before critisizing and de railing the thread ??- UM- because DUH = it's so obviously a halter if anyone bothers to watch????

    but then can't even be bothered to edit afterwards- no let's argue about side reins.? ReallY?

    Sorry to be so blunt but this is just ignorant.

    Yes someone please Friend the railbirders...they probably need more friends


    Now you ask who crapped all over the thread? Do you mean today?





    A lovely and inspiring video I've added to my list of lovely and inspiring videos. I have BTW posted the link in one of my post since the FB thread was deleted.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Big deal- I changed "some people"- trying to be less specific- to PE, more factual. What's wrong with that- keep going- so much for nice video....
    Because your assertion about my position was not factual. It was slanderous and I am glad I found it.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    It's all there for anyone to read.

    Carry on - I'm now using the ignore function
    It is indeed there for anyone to read, especially now that I have taken to quoting your post as you are wont to change things without notice.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2011
    Posts
    592

    Default

    This thread got weird.

    If you don't want people to misinterpret your stream of consciousness as criticism, perhaps refrain from streaming consciousness on the board? Just a friendly tip.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    Sorry, but to whom is that addressed. Is it addressed to my post where I wrote,

    "Awesome video -the horse is so forward and she is so relaxed. Thanks for pointing out she had no bridle because that explains how sometimes she seemed to be heavy handed. I threw the description into Google translate but it missed some of the idiomatic expressions."

    If so, please show me that this;
    a. a stream of consciousness
    b. a criticism

    If you did not mean to direct that to me, I apologize for misunderstanding.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2012
    Posts
    1,984

    Default

    Apologies to all for getting sucked into the wacky tangent - so deleted some posts. Ignore function is good!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Apologies to all for getting sucked into the wacky tangent - so deleted some posts. Ignore function is good!
    Thought you might, Crockpot. Good thing I quoted your post from 9:05 am this morning directly, just in case a late comer concluded I was having some kind of psycho conversation with myself. You wrote:

    And then PE claims Isabel's hands are harsh in the video because she didn't actually bother to watch the video before critisizing and de railing the thread ??- UM- because DUH = it's so obviously a halter if anyone bothers to watch????

    but then can't even be bothered to edit afterwards- no let's argue about side reins.? ReallY?

    Sorry to be so blunt but this is just ignorant.

    Yes someone please Friend the railbirders...they probably need more friends


    To which I responded in post #66 "What are you talking about?" Just to give the responses some context.


    Sincerely,
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,011

    Default

    Far be it for me to stir the pot...... but Dec 2012 issue of Practical Horseman had an article on riding bareback. The author bio went as follows.

    "Carolyn Del Grosso became a bareback enthusiast when she started training her Honoverian stallion, Arklicht, whom she imported from Europe as a 7-month old in 1984. Finding it difficult to fit a saddle to his extremely wide body, she soon learned that he preferred to be ridden bareback. "He was happier and freer in his shoulders and more accommodating in his back," she says. Resorting to the saddle only on rare occasions, such as for lessons and shows, Carolyn trained Arklicht through Grand Prix level, earning her USDF bronze, silver, and gold medals along the way. Over the years, the pair performed bareback demonstrations at various expos and charity shows. Carolyn still rides the now 28 year old stallion as well as three of his offspring.. In addition to her day job a s a bookkeeper, she gives riding lessons, trains clients' horses, and serves on the board of the Potomac Valley Dressage Association."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,011



  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,011



  17. #77
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2011
    Posts
    592

    Default

    IZS, is your point that you can sit on a horse bareback? Because I don't think anyone's arguing with you there.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2011
    Location
    the Armpit of the Nation
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Speaking of wacky tangents I don't get it, IZS


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    11,465

    Default

    She's not riding in a bitless bridle, she's riding in a plain halter. It's a whole nother notch down in the ability to control the horse. Bitless bridles often put lots of pressure on the nose or poll of the horse.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,204

    Default

    Enjoytheride,

    I am learning these things even as I read this thread and the articles I posted. So it wouldn't be accurate to compare the Werth video to the Graf video I linked because Uta is bitless and Isabelle is bridleless.

    Isabeau, that is exactly when I started riding Fella bareback. Finding a saddle to fit him was ridiculous. I feel like the change was a happy accident because:

    1. OMG I had never felt him so soft, free, and forward ever.

    2. My saddle (my saddle so I'm talking about me here) was hiding so many flaws and I had no idea. For example I was crooked crooked crooked. But these things can be obscured by a saddle.

    3. Instead of feeling less secure (okay, after that first holy crap! ride) I feel more secure on Fella bareback. I think because (for me) the saddle is static between me and my horse. I don't know if this is a saddle thing or poor saddle fit but all of a sudden I knew what he was thinking when he was thinking it. I know what a spook feels like -his back flattens, his ribs expand. And this led to #4

    4. Since bareback has helped loosen my hips and separate my aids a spook is not a big thing any more. I feel it coming and ride it out even before we really register it.

    Now I wan to do everything bareback -compete, play, hack, everything. I guess that's why I chafe at the rules that say I can't. This comes from being so frustrated and then seeing the light, a big airplane-sized spotlight.

    I think this is why I seem to be proselytizing, because the entire experience has been life changing. Now that I see my excitement is coming over as one-note obsessing, I will try very much to reel it in, and I apologize for doing the equivalent of the Jehovah's Witness knocking on your doors on a Saturday morning.

    Realize that even though I'm not knocking on your doors I am just vibrating with excitement and longing to share it with everybody. And I still really wish I could compete bareback!

    I hope everybody understands now and forgives my obnoxious behavior.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).



Similar Threads

  1. Anyone else looked at the picture of Satchmo
    By grayarabpony in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: Dec. 23, 2008, 01:31 PM
  2. WOW... Satchmo - Werth, Isabell - 79.120 %
    By TeddyRocks in forum Dressage
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: May. 10, 2008, 02:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •