The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Abscess

Has anyone had a horse with a massive hoof abscess without heat or lameness?

Not personally, but I know of horses that have blown out pretty big abscesses and up until the explosion, no one (apparently horse included) had any idea that something was brewing.

Yes. Suggest you have an x-ray. They are no fun when really deep.

Years ago my then broodmare blew out the whole outside bulb of her heel on a hind foot while showing no lameness. She had to wear a bar shoe for months afterward.

My horse had an abscess a couple months ago, she was never lame. I arrived one morning and her leg up to the hock was swollen, I poked a bit at the hoof and out came the puss. The swelling was gone by the next day, I soaked the hoof a couple days, kept the hole clean etc, and we were riding a couple days after. I think it pretty much completely drained that first day, nothing else seemed to come out with further soaking and poulticing, but better safe.

I think I'm fighting a rather deep abscess right now in my horse. He showed signs of it 2 weeks ago. Called the vet out and found a sensitive spot, so we packed his hoof and put him on antibiotics. He was perfectly sound 2 days later and has been for 2 weeks up until last night. It never blew out. So I packed it again last night and put him back on antibiotics (left over from last time).

I'm not sure what else I can do right now. He has some surface cracks that the vet thought might be exacerbating the situation. Farrier is due in 2 weeks, so I think I'm going to talk to the farrier about putting on shoes. The only common denominator in all this is the wet weather.