The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I got attacked today...

...by a plastic muck fork! I work in a feed store and was hanging up some new ones on the floor. Well gravity inevitably happened and I ended up catching the falling fork with my face. I now have a 6" long gash on my face from my ear, across my cheek, and down to my chin. I'm lucky it didn't catch my eye. I can laugh about it now but DAMN it hurt!

Has anyone else been "attacked" by horse supplies or am I the only one?

Signed,
    Scarface.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Did that with a drill one time. Fell off a shelf and busted the bridge of my nose open right before we were having the entire soccer team and their families over for a pool party.

You are lucky and it helps to have a sense of humor!

plus, what an opportunity to make up GREAT stories. All along the lines of "...you should see the other guy..." Not that marauding pitchforks is not compelling, of course.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

1 members found this post helpful.

It really looks like I got knifed or attacked by a very, very angry cat. I do need to come up with a story that's more exciting than the truth
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    ...by a plastic muck fork! I work in a feed store and was hanging up some new ones on the floor. Well gravity inevitably happened and I ended up catching the falling fork with my face. I now have a 6" long gash on my face from my ear, across my cheek, and down to my chin. I'm lucky it didn't catch my eye. I can laugh about it now but DAMN it hurt!

Has anyone else been "attacked" by horse supplies or am I the only one?

Signed,
    Scarface.
    /whispers
    Was it the ShakeFork?

We were pretty harsh to it. I can see it seeking revenge.
    You are what you dare.

5 members found this post helpful.

Ouch. Hope the cut is not too deep.

I gave myself a black eye once from my cross tie. Mr. Trub had tossed it over the stall wall to get it out of the way when he was driving the tractor thru (they hang from the trusses). I tossed it back over to use it and failed at catching it or moving out of the way fast enough - or maybe I just thought it would be more fun to stop it with my face. Ended up with a welt right under my eye which turned into a nice bruise.

Workman's Comp!

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I constantly have a huge round bruise on my thigh from walking into the end of the wheelbarrow handle. After 20+ years of having the horses at home you'd think I'd figure out by now how to walk far enough around it. Apparently not.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

7 members found this post helpful.

I constantly have a huge round bruise on my thigh from walking into the end of the wheelbarrow handle. After 20+ years of having the horses at home you'd think I'd figure out by now how to walk far enough around it. Apparently not.

OMG, me too!

I had clippers on top of a bin on an overhead shelf and forgot they were there when I took that bin down. Clippers to the center of the forehead!

I trip over the same electrical ground at least once daily.

I've punched myself in the face a handful of times while tightening girths.

Broke a toe on a 50# salt block. That I had recently moved to it's new location so it wouldn't be a trip hazard.

And I've often closed my sleeve in a stall door, went to walk away and gotten jerked backwards, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

After that I hope they gave you the fork as compensation for damages??

Not horse-related, but I was attacked by a roll of rusty re-mesh--the stuff usually used for cement reinforcement, but in our case used as garden fencing.

We rolled it out on the ground to flatten it out--face up when it should have been face down--and my husband lost his grip. I suddenly had a huge roll of rusty re-mesh bouncing and flying at me, and I was in a situation where I couldn't jump out of the way. I put up my hands, but I still ended up with a nasty gash on my nose. Fortunately, I had just had a tetanus shot, and it did end up making a beautiful fence/trellis.

(I have to admit, as I re-tell this story, I feel exceedingly stupid. I guess you had to have been there...)
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Workman's Comp!

ya...I can see that getting past the investigator...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Mine is the usual getting shocked by our hotwire on my inner upper thigh, while clambering through the fence. I turn it off and by the time I get to the barn, hubby sees it off and flips it back on, just in time for me to shock myself. Oh, the one time I turned it off and was stringing wire and was tying into the main fence...onliest hubby had turned it on right smack before I touched the main fence...yeah....
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I lost my toe nail to a wheel barrow. I was at the top of the ramp, lifting the wheelbarrow up by the handles to completely dump it into the spreader. I dropped it quickly back down. One edge of the narrow, curved edge of the wheel guard landed squarely on my toe, right at the cuticle of the nail. I almost fell of the ramp, it hurt so badly. I practiced my french for a couple of minutes. The nail did grow back.... eventually...

Not attacked, but more I attacked a jump standard. Flew right off the back of my old pony and took it out with my face.
    On a serious note, though, if I hadn't been wearing a helmet, I probably would have damaged or lost my eye. I took the whole jump down with my 8 year old self

I once got attacked by a tree while riding my horse. We were trotting and I was turned towards the back to help the person behind me and my horse totally trotted under a tree with many low hanging branches. I had scratches all over my face, neck, and chest and looked like I had been in a fight!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I'm constantly getting attacked on my shins from my trailer hitch...I know it's there..but...

One time I ducked under a hot wire in front of a gate and two seconds later (while standing between the gate and the wire) backed into it and slammed my head on the top of the gate due to the shock and split my eyebrow open..

I touched a hotwire while trying to evacuate horses during a flood while standing in water...it shocked me badly in the fillings of my teeth...yeeouch!

Just to name a few..

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    One time I ducked under a hot wire in front of a gate and two seconds later (while standing between the gate and the wire) backed into it and slammed my head on the top of the gate due to the shock and split my eyebrow open..
    I'm sorry...but I just laughed right out loud picturing this!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    It really looks like I got knifed or attacked by a very, very angry cat. I do need to come up with a story that's more exciting than the truth
    "Who ever said mountain lions/ligers/feral school children don't live around these parts...."
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

LOL i've done the girth-tightening black eye too.
    I got attacked by a crosstie in a spectacular fashion once when I was young. Was sitting around on benches in the barn, gabbing with friends at the end of the day. I happened to be next to the crosstie, and unbeknownst to me, my best friend clipped the crosstie onto a little D-ring that was on my parka, I guess for ski gloves or whatever. She didn't really have a plan, just thought it was funny that my coat had D-rings on it and would be funny when I tried to walk away. Well, just then a boarder's incredibly cute puppy came up to me with toy in mouth, wanting to play. I jumped up to run down the aisle with him--I get a little exuberant sometimes, I guess. So off I go, and I hit the end of the crosstie at a dead run. My feet went straight up, my whole body swung up in the air like a child's swing, and then the down parka ripped open. And then BAM!! landed on the aisle floor flat on my back. Knocked every ounce of oxygen out of me and the air was filled with feathers, gently falling down on me like fluffy snow.
    Maybe it was the impact on the cement, but I'm telling you, in my life I have never felt such bewilderment as to what had just transpired.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion