The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks for that info, Louise. I will not bother trying to get to Trader Joe's now. Love Wegmans. Can not go wrong with Wegmans! Great produce. $6 meals are a great deal.
    <content sigh>

2 members found this post helpful.

I go late at night to a 24 hour store in order to try avoiding the screaming children, hoardes of people blocking the aisles, etc. Sometimes this works well, sometimes it doesn't. (WHY are there infant-6 year old kids out at 11 PM? Of course they are cranky, they should be in bed. And both parents with all 7 children don't need to be there. Make a list, one goes to the store, the other stays home with the brats.)

I always do self-checkout. Quick, I can bag things how I want them, and I don't have to try to make conversation with a random cashier.

I like our grocery store. Around Thanksgiving the bakery was having pie specials, but I couldn't fine the one I wanted it. Turns out they were baking them in the oven. "Just finish your shopping and come back here when you're done. We'll have on boxed up for you," they said. I did so, and when I got back it was just coming out of the oven. They boxed it up hot, and home it came with me. Excellent!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

There are a few good farmer's markets in town and I always go there for my produce. I'm sure they think I'm nuts. I buy an insane amount of fruit and I always make sure half is close to ripening and the other half is not. That way I never have everything ripening at once, and then spoiling because I can't eat it all.

Grocery stores...I hate. I go late friday night and just hit one or two aisles to stock up. Bulk aisles for raw nuts and dry beans, fridge section for tofu, almond milk, rice noodles, and rarely I buy some processed vegan items.

The rest of the time, it's the farmer's marked and fresh produce for me.

Trader Joe's brand dark chocolate covered caramels....oh my god are they good.

Their wine prices are great too and they often have some very unique offerings. I agree on the meats, but if you want sausages/brats, theirs rock. Good cheeses, nice dips and appetizery stuff. Skip the monster bag of TJ tortilla chips. And their produce is hit or miss. But overall, I can often find different, unique offerings that are especially fun when one is pot-lucking or hosting for company.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I used to shop at a Safeway in a little resort type town. We all called it the giant picnic store. A billion kinds of wine, fancy deli foods, like that. So DH did quite a bit of the grocery shopping for our family and would go out on a weekend (first mistake in tourist trap town) grab a cart, park it at the end of an aisle and shuttle back and forth rather than try to push the cart through the hordes.

Well, he got cartjacked.

He left the cart at the end of an aisle/island in the produce section, pretty well loaded with all the vegetables he'd picked out, and he's a fussy produce buyer so each one was special and had been weighed for its merits, examined from all angles, like that (he does make me crazy that way). And he came back to where he had left the cart, and it was gone. He looked around, checked out the other islands thinking he was over one, and he noticed a woman holding a bag of fruit and quietly pushing it into a space between something entirely different. He looked harder and by golly if he didn't see a couple more bags here and there, and the cart the woman was pushing still had some things that he'd had on the list. At that point he cracked. According to him he just blurted out "what? what? WHAT IS THIS HAPPY HORSESHIT?! Can't you people go outside like normal people and get a cart? A REAL MAN, (this was a couple) would go out into the parking lot like I did and go get a cart, where is the rest of my stuff, give me that cart back and GET YOUR OWN!"

When he told me the story I darned near fell out of my chair laughing. I have to confess that the whole time I was growing up it was my job to guard the cart in the grocery store, and I always told my DD to guard the cart once she got big enough, but it WAS A FAMILY JOKE, at least I thought so.

I love my Kroger. No freaks, no hairies, and no yuppies needing a place to stash their wine and cheese.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

I have some supermarket confessions to make. This thread might be the only safe opportunity I ever have to get these things off my conscience.

1. I'm the person who wanders off with your shopping cart. I thought I left mine right there. Never mind that there's totally different items in yours, all I see is a cart with wheels and some stuff in it. Sorry.

2. I'm the stranger who you'll see dropping things in your cart. I thought it was my cart, okay? See #1, above. It could be worse, I could have walked off with it. Sorry again.

3. I'm the idiot who asks you for help opening the plastic produce bags. Do you really think I knew I was trying to open the wrong end? It's usually because I've been struggling to open the correct end but can't seem to get the sides separated. But you know, it's just a plastic bag. Not a big deal. Thanks for helping me out.

Now I feel better.

5 members found this post helpful.

I love Publix! Everyone is so nice, and when they call for extra baggers and cashiers everyone comes to the front. I've never taken more than 15 minutes to checkout even around a holiday.

I used to go to Walmart really early on Saturdays where I used to live. I stopped because that was when they cleaned and waxed the floors, and it was some kind of gas powered engine, and it was really nauseating.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

The Trader Joe's near me isn't anything to write home about either.

My local grocery store is wonderful. The employees are friendly, the store is clean, well organized, well stocked. It is really rare that a fellow shopper is rude or leaves their cart in the way, and if they do they always apologize. I rarely see unruly children either. It sounds too good to be true but that's really how it is every time I go in.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I have some supermarket confessions to make. This thread might be the only safe opportunity I ever have to get these things off my conscience.

1. I'm the person who wanders off with your shopping cart. I thought I left mine right there. Never mind that there's totally different items in yours, all I see is a cart with wheels and some stuff in it. Sorry.

2. I'm the stranger who you'll see dropping things in your cart. I thought it was my cart, okay? See #1, above. It could be worse, I could have walked off with it. Sorry again.

3. I'm the idiot who asks you for help opening the plastic produce bags. Do you really think I knew I was trying to open the wrong end? It's usually because I've been struggling to open the correct end but can't seem to get the sides separated. But you know, it's just a plastic bag. Not a big deal. Thanks for helping me out.

Now I feel better.
    Oh trust me we've all done it. Taken the wrong cart. I'm as distracted as the next person in a grocery store.
    I never have taken the items out and tucked them here and there in the store though, that's just too blatant for me.

So you're forgiven, at least by me. My DH on the other hand, suspects everyone.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by glitterless View Post
    What happened to stocking shelves after hours?
    If they waited to stock shelves until after hours, there would be nothing on the shelves by 10am, especially on a weekend.

I don't mind grocery shopping, as I can be in and out in no time (5 years of working there - I practically have the place memorized).

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

I really miss Eddie's back in Baltimore ...
    ahh yes.. great chicken salad and shrimp salad at their deli .. plus unrivaled Utz potato chips. I just have to be satisfied with fresh CA produce here.

My pet peeve is bagging - I'm really anal about unloading my cart in the way I want stuff bagged, so that heavy stuff is on the bottom. But I guess they are trained not to mix food/non-food items. Except I would prefer that say the coconut go with the detergent if the alternative is the detergent crushing the light bulbs. And they are just really rough on fruit! I picked out bruise-free apples so please don't drop them in from three feet high and bruise them for me.

The worst is the health food store though. I think they have special training on judging customer food choices and acting superior. I picked up a frozen meal with other stuff once. I know they aren't great for you, but it's an occasional thing. The cashier read the info panel, looked at me and said, "wow, this isn't good for you at all, is it?" I boycotted them for a while but they just have the best hard cider selection around so I had to humble myself.

There should be some sort of "adult swim" allotment for grocery shopping from 11:30am to 1pm on weekdays. If I am on my lunch hour I am in a hurry. I do not have time to wander and ponder. Please do that at 3:30 on a Tuesday (or in the middle of the night...) when no one else needs to get past you.

My local store finally stopped rearranging the produce on a daily basis - if I wanted to hunt for my food? I wouldn't be in a store. But they did a huge reno and now the juices are across from diapers and baby wipes. I suspect someone did a bunch of market research and decided diaper buyers also buy a lot of juice. But input (food) and output (diapers) should not be on the same aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Wendy, I agree with you. Maybe I'm spoiled by Wegman's, but, a Trader Joe's just opened here and I was full of anticipation when I went in. It's all packaged stuff, very little fresh and what little fresh is there doesn't look all that good. I did find a couple of cereals that I couldn't get at Wegman's, but I won't be going back just for those as it's not all that close.
    I LOVE WEGMAN'S
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I love my grocery store chain. The stores are clean and the employees are very well trained. They have a sign up right now bragging that they have been on the national "Best Places to Work" list for something like the past 16 years. If I had one wish it's that they would have less of their own store brand on the shelves and more of a selection of other brands. Their store brands are generally good, but there are products that I do like better, sometimes, and it's a pain having to go to other stores to pick those things up,. Luckily, there is a very popular Mom and Pop type store here (though bigger than you usually think of those types of stores) that carries many of the products that the chain store no longer carries.
    I read this and thought "She must be talking about Wegman's. That's the good/bad of Wegman's in a nutshell." Then I looked at your location, and knew I was right!

Wegman's isn't perfect, but they are SO MUCH better than any other grocery chain in PA...I just about fainted from happiness when they started opening here. My husband is from Rochester (the Wegman's mother ship) and we both went to school in Syracuse. We were so spoiled and didn't even know it until we moved away and were confronted with other grocery stores.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzie View Post
    I read this and thought "She must be talking about Wegman's. That's the good/bad of Wegman's in a nutshell." Then I looked at your location, and knew I was right!

Wegman's isn't perfect, but they are SO MUCH better than any other grocery chain in PA...I just about fainted from happiness when they started opening here. My husband is from Rochester (the Wegman's mother ship) and we both went to school in Syracuse. We were so spoiled and didn't even know it until we moved away and were confronted with other grocery stores.
    Mr P went to school (Pittsford) with some of the Wegmans.
    Our daughter married a man from France and he was NOT enthusiastic about American foods....until we took him to Wegman's. Bread, pastry, produce, cheese, wine Oh my!
    We gave them Wegman's gift cards for Christmas.

Yeah, we take out of town guests to Wegman's
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Yes, there is nothing like Wegmans. So lucky to have it here. When other employees of my company come here for training. They all say they go to Wegmans to stock up. Some items can be pricey but it averages out.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    ahh yes.. great chicken salad and shrimp salad at their deli .. plus unrivaled Utz potato chips. I just have to be satisfied with fresh CA produce here.
    As a fellow Baltimoron, I can say that Eddies is nice and all (although overpriced), but they get negative points for overt classism. This was not experienced by me as I went to a neighboring prep school with identifying uniform, and was thus "accepted," but the brazen attitudes and behaviors towards children from Roland Park Public made me super uncomfortable.

I think the quality of Trader Joe's depends on where you live. My local one is awesome with a good amount of produce and fresh meat. The staff is also super friendly.

And Wegmans is fab! Can't wait until one opens 5 mins from my house next year!

Wegmans supports my family

One place I cannot stand is Tops! People always say it is less expensive than Wegmans and it is not true.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance