The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tablet vs. laptop?

Okay, I might be stupid, but I just don't "get" the whole IPad/tablet thing. Why would a person choose a tablet over a laptop? Can somebody explain tablets to me??? What makes them "so special" that everybody feels they need to have one?
    Cindy

The main advantages of tablets over laptops are speed and portability. Other than that, laptops are much more useful.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    The main advantages of tablets over laptops are speed and portability. Other than that, laptops are much more useful.
    Ok. That was what I thought...so now I don't feel so stupid
    Cindy

I have both - I typically only use my laptop when I'm working from home or need to do some serious typing. I use my iPad much more often than my laptop...to the point that I'm often wiping dust off of my laptop when I go to use it.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

agreed. I have a laptop and once we got the iPad, the laptop never gets used. Kind of a waste of money, actually.

I think the tablets that snap off the keyboard or even a keyboard iPad cover would be the way to go. If you're just doing basic computing like the majority of people do (and no say, a serious gamer or something) you would do fine with some form of a tablet. And once you get one, its a little like Tivo/DVR's were when they first came out. Totally frivolous, but you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

I have an iPhone, iPad, and laptop. I've struggled with transitioning from using my iPhone for everything to using the iPad for things like watching videos, reading e-books, etc., because I'm so used to doing EVERYTHING from my phone. So I occasionally have to remind myself that I can watch that YouTube video of the Auto-Tuned "I Love Cats" lady on the iPad and save my iPhone battery for actual PHONE stuff like making phone calls.

The laptop rarely gets used anymore, unless I need to type something with a real keyboard or want to do something securely like banking or my TAXES that I keep forgetting to do.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

I agree with all of the above reasons and i love my iPad. I'd like to add that it is also extremely light, portable, and in my opinion a little tougher then a laptop. As well as even after a year my iPad still runs great where as most laptops can start to run a little slower.

I rarely ever use our laptops anymore.

Default Tablets? Okay, what kind?

Maybe I should start a spin-off, but I'm tired of the microscopic screen on my iPhone, find my laptop clunky and when I'm not in front of my desktops, have concluded that I'd like a tablet. I haven't a clue what kind except that I'd like to avoid anything more that Apple makes and it would be nice to have access to Android apps rather than the limited universe of iPhone apps.

Some professional techie friends tell me that Asus tablets are superior, though in obscure ways that I can't quite relate to.

What do "real" people prefer in a tablet?
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

I thought about a tablet, but the most important thing on my computer is the keyboard, so I can't really see it. Unless the snap-on ones are extremely comfortable and indestructible. Plus whatever I get has to run WordPerfect. Since I don't use it as an entertainment toy (videos and stuff) and I don't like touch screens, I don't see the point. I don't need to have a TV with me all the time so there's not much it can do.

I have a laptop and a cheap dell tablet that runs android apps- I like the tablet for net surfing, but the laptop is necessary for real computing like running spreadsheets and writing documents. If you never do "real" computing, all you need is the tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    Maybe I should start a spin-off, but I'm tired of the microscopic screen on my iPhone, find my laptop clunky and when I'm not in front of my desktops, have concluded that I'd like a tablet. I haven't a clue what kind except that I'd like to avoid anything more that Apple makes and it would be nice to have access to Android apps rather than the limited universe of iPhone apps.

Some professional techie friends tell me that Asus tablets are superior, though in obscure ways that I can't quite relate to.

What do "real" people prefer in a tablet?
    I have the Samsung Android Tablet (Tab 2) and I love it. I use it for most everything I used my laptop for and stopped using my phone for things that the larger screen makes easier to do. I also love the portability of it, like others have said.

Two weeks ago I went car shopping and I took my tablet. Not only was I able to photograph the cars I was interested in, along with scanning in the business card of the salesperson that helped me, but I was able to look up reviews and average prices of the vehicles. The salespeople were pretty impressed and several of them were going to look into getting a tablet for themselves.

I also read and watch movies, play games, and just generally surf web with mine. The camera is not bad either.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I love the Nexus that my DH got me for Xmas. He also got me the case that flips open and the Bluetooth keyboard that has a magnet to hold it on the case and you can type quite far away on it which is nice. I really enjoy that I can do Nook or Kindle books out. That it has a fantastic video camera on it and that it came with a really neat video editing program. I could go on and on about how much I love this thing!