The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spin off... Supermarkets, the good and the bad of shopping.

Firstly, I love any clean, well stocked Grocery Stores that carry a good selection of fresh produce, and have a meat department where you're not surprised with unexpected grossness (like leaky packaging and green looking meat).

Otherwise, why is it that certain individuals leave their carts in the center of an isle on an angle so no one can pass?

Why does the guy with the disgusting mop have to sneak up behind me when I'm not looking and push that yucky thing till is hits my shoes. I don't really want dirty mop water from a filthy old mop on my shoes thank you.... So what are you thinking? The guys who do the stalls at our barn don't throw manure on me when I walk past a stall, so what is it about the guy with the mop?

Dear checkout person... I carefully chose those bananas because I was planing on having ripe bananas for tomorrows breakfast. Why did you have to put them on the bottom of the bag and then put hard heavy items on top of them... just why?

This actually happened to me once... honest... A middle aged man walks in through the out door, walks up to the area where the check out person places items before they're bagged, and starts to fondle my food. No I'm not making this up.. I had to say "hey get your paws off my stuff". He said he thought he left something in the store. I told him there was nothing there when I began to check out, he apologized and walked over and checked everyone else's food too. So how come he just doesn't ask everyone politely first?? Grabbing other peoples food after they buy it is impolite... if not creepy.

Is it just me, or does weird supermarket stuff like this happen to other people too?

Then there's the people I see who eat the grapes without buying any, or just weigh and buy the remaining grapes that are left on the stalks after eating them from the front of the cart as they shop.... What are are they thinking??

I want in, out, and I want it on sale. Oh and don't touch my produce. As in, DON'T take it out of the bag to get the number off the sticker. Shudder.

My mom has worked for Safeway since she was 16. The stories...
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Why are they always stocking shelves right in front of where I need to go?

1 members found this post helpful.

I actually had a cashier tell me she should could not bag my groceries in paper, she did not know how!
    I was bagging groceries before I was in kindergarten, was trained how to do it in my parent's store. It is not that difficult but the stores do not even begin to teach baggers and cashiers how to do such a simple job.

I just want groceries and could do without the middle third of the store I go to which has magazines, books, houswares, and probably car parts too.

Self checkouts for me. I am anal about how my groceries are bagged, and while I know the cashier at the self checkout stations is only trying to be helpful, I hate it when s/he starts bagging my stuff as I'm running it through the scanner. I nicely thank him/her and say that I'll take care of it.

What really bugs me even more is when a grocery store "revamps" and moves everything around(!!). My shopping list is arranged by where everything is in the store, so it's really aggravating when they throw me a curve ball by rearranging, making it hard to find anything. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy to get shoppers to look at more stuff.

Plastic grocery bags - HATE them! They inevitably spill the contents all over my truck unless I tie the handles together. I now use my own reusable bags, except at Harris Teeter since they always have a good supply of nice paper bags (with handles) at the self checkouts. I love those bags and recycle them at home as trash can liners and for storing and then taking my newspapers to be recycled.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

2 members found this post helpful.

Like Slewdledo, I just want to get in and out. Fresh veges, cruise thru the meat (tho rarely buy much) milk, ice cream and bread. I shop so rarely that my cart is heaping, so I don't do self checkout, I think that is unfair to those behind me. It takes forever when you can only fit so much on the belt, and have to dash back and forth.

My pet peeve is the coupon queens. There is one locally who Makes It Her Mission to Save. I'm glad for her, really. But not only does that many coupons have to be individually approved, she will stand there, and look around like we are all supposed to clap or something. Won't pay, wont pick up a bag until she takes a couple of minutes. What. A. Nutjob. Now I know why there was no one behind her in line! Now that I know what she looks like, I'll avoid her too.

While I'd rather no one fondles my produce either, I figure it has probably been fondled quite a few times on the way into my store, so I wash all produce quite well. I even dunk bananas since I read about some weird azz spider that likes to hang out in the stems.

Thankfully, DH doesn't mind picking up a few things here and there if we need them. I haven't been to the store since before Christmas, and I'm hoping to make it to March!
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    What really bugs me even more is when a grocery store "revamps" and moves everything around(!!). My shopping list is arranged by where everything is in the store, so it's really aggravating when they throw me a curve ball by rearranging, making it hard to find anything. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy to get shoppers to look at more stuff.
    This makes me nuts too, because I do exactly the same thing with my list. And, I really get tired of people using the grocery store as a social center and parking their two carts right next to each other, blocking the entire aisle, while they catch up on their lives.

I love my grocery store chain. The stores are clean and the employees are very well trained. They have a sign up right now bragging that they have been on the national "Best Places to Work" list for something like the past 16 years. If I had one wish it's that they would have less of their own store brand on the shelves and more of a selection of other brands. Their store brands are generally good, but there are products that I do like better, sometimes, and it's a pain having to go to other stores to pick those things up,. Luckily, there is a very popular Mom and Pop type store here (though bigger than you usually think of those types of stores) that carries many of the products that the chain store no longer carries.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

My local store is pretty good. Very clean and organized compared to the other stores within that chain. However, the stock boys are always in my way! Most of them do not even move over or apologize. I have to excuse myself and fight my way into to find a product on the shelf.

Most of the boys look like high school students. Maybe this is their first job and they don't have a clue, but please...get out of my way! What happened to stocking shelves after hours?

Ok, here's some Good: I shop at a small Southeast Chain: Ingle's.

LOVE those grocery stores. Very good prices, wide aisles, excellent produce & meat, LOTSA organic choices and (here's the best part): each store has the aisles the same. So if I go to my local Dallas GA, I know that Aisle 1 = butter, cheese, eggs. If I go to the Gainesville location (about 40 miles n'east of us, near my in-laws), Aisle 1 = butter, cheese, eggs -- same for the Villa Rica & Kennesaw locations.

10 cents off Fuel rewards program (REALLLLLY helps on the diesel for our beast of a truck) and they made my day yesterday -- For Valentine's, I got a 5% off coupon!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    I even dunk bananas since I read about some weird azz spider that likes to hang out in the stems.
    Oh jesus christ in heaven, there's a banana sitting in my purse right now...

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't like it when they are out of something and instead of leaving a hole where it was, they fill it in with other things. So you go crazy looking for it in other places instead of excepting that they just don't have it.

We are so lucky because the local grocery store in our little town rocks. Its clean, neat, well lit, well organized, and has very friendly and helpful staff. I have even had all my groceries rung up and realized I didnt have my wallet, so they just said ,"ah go home ,have dinner ,then come back and pay tonight." Seriously ya just cant get cooler than that. And their meat is the best, and you can ask the in house butcher to cut things to special order with no extra charge. They will order things in by the case for you. I just cant say enough. They are a little more expensive than say Walmart, but I think its a well earned trade off.

I'm anal about packing my groceries too. I don't think they teach them how to pack a bag anymore, and sometimes I prefer paper. I've had too many tomatoes and bread on the bottom to let them pack a bag anymore.

I really miss Eddie's back in Baltimore and I would kill for a Harris Teeter.

I made the mistake of shopping on old people day yesterday...Everyone over 65 gets a 10% discount on the first Wednesday of the month. Add to it that they just renovated the store and the grand opening was last week...you just have to decide you're not in a hurry. And be happy they can still do their shopping.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I really like my local Market Basket. It's clean, no frills, and has the best prices around. Also, I take it as a good sign that some of the people working the cash registers have been there for years...! I still prefer it to the new Trader Joe's that opened last year.

I grew up in France, so I am used to bringing my own bag and bagging everything myself (I actually didn't know, when I first came to the US 20 years ago, that there was a "bagging person" and I was NOT supposed to do it myself )
    My pet peeve is when people, even tho I ask them to only use the bag I provide, insist on using plastic for some items. Sometimes I really have to put my foot down! Some of them also argue with me because they think my bag is too full. No, it's not, please stuff everything in, it can take it! Just put the fragile items on top.

I had to laugh when reading that some of you cringe at other people touching your produce...you'd be horrified at farmers' markets in Europe!

A few things I'd like to see in my local store is a MUCH bigger Yogurt / cheese aisle, and a bigger variety in produce. I am always hunting for artichokes and watercress etc. Oh, and bread. Although the MB Parisian bread, when fresh out of the oven, is a delight!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    Firstly, I love any clean, well stocked Grocery Stores that carry a good selection of fresh produce, and have a meat department where you're not surprised with unexpected grossness (like leaky packaging and green looking meat).
    Trader Joe's is the place for all that you want. They are a West Coast store mostly, but they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Oh jesus christ in heaven, there's a banana sitting in my purse right now...
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

trader joes totally sucks. They don't sell anything but over-priced processed crap.
    I want a store that is laid out in a logical fashion- so you don't have to run around looking for stuff. I hate shopping and my goal is to get in, get it, and get out as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    trader joes totally sucks. They don't sell anything but over-priced processed crap.
    Uh, I think you may be confused. Trader Joe's is anything BUT overpriced and overprocessed (excluding some of their frozen stuff, which is still better than Lean Cuisine), particularly when we're talking prices at places like Whole Foods...

Now granted, it's no Walmart. But they're a much better company than Walmart with much better food, so...

2 members found this post helpful.

no. I was very excited when a trader joe's opened near me and eagerly went in, but was seriously disappointed. Over-priced, processed crap. Everything they sell is pre-made processed low-quality foods. At least here anyway. The produce section was tiny and consisted of over-priced mangos and iceberg lettuce. No fresh meat, just "deli" type preserved meat. Lots of pre-made "dinners", "sauces", and "snack" type items, some of which I sampled and found to be well, very mediocre in flavor.

Wendy, I agree with you. Maybe I'm spoiled by Wegman's, but, a Trader Joe's just opened here and I was full of anticipation when I went in. It's all packaged stuff, very little fresh and what little fresh is there doesn't look all that good. I did find a couple of cereals that I couldn't get at Wegman's, but I won't be going back just for those as it's not all that close.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.