The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddles?

Looking for a cheap used saddle while I save up for a new one... I can't use my old saddle anymore.. it's a medium and I need a wide for my girl! Anywhoo, I'm concerned about her back.. I definitely want something that won't hurt her, but with my teensy budget ($400) I'm not sure I'll be able to find anything !!! She's green and we're not showing or anything atm so it's not like I need an attractive saddle or even anything comfortable to me. I can't decide on anything uughhh I'm driving myself crazy...literally losing sleep to stay up and look at saddles for sale... heelllpppp! Does anybody have any suggestions of a saddle you have used that your horses had gone well in and had not done any damage to their backs?? And that would be cheap?

A bareback pad

How about a synthetic? You should be able to find a used one, maybe a Wintec, with a wide tree in your price range.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I would look for a used saddle -- you can find some great deals on nice quality saddles that just aren't necessarily "in style" any more. I got an older Beval Devon -- plain flap, no knee roll, flat seat -- that way for a steal. The shop owner told me she had priced it that way because of its style, but I love it to death.
    ~*Paige*~

Look for a used saddle at your local consignment shop or check on line.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Something along the lines of a Thorowgood T4 all purpose might be a good option. They come in 3 different models (high wither, standard and cob/broadback) that offer conformation-specific fitting options, and they have a changeable gullet as well. They're around $650 new, but you might be able to find one used. The flap is forward enough to jump up to about 3'. You can find them at Dover or through Annette Gavin at Hastilow USA.

check your local consignment tack shops, they usually let you take a couple home to try out to see which one fits best.

I would think that you would be able to find a NICE used saddle...older model or out of style...at your price range.

I was able to get a used Stubbon Woton (probably 35years old now) for $300 and a County Competitor for $350 (it was my trainers) and a Crosy I-forget-the-model close contact for $150.

Check out consignment shops and tack swaps! OH! and be very patient

I will have to check out a consignment shop.. I've been meaning to, just haven't gotten around to it yet, lol.