The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2005
    near historic Gettysburg PA

    Default How will the new USDA Animal Tracking laws affect you? Anyone clear on this?

    It is my understanding by what I read that, as of March 2013, we will need a health certificate ( ICVI form) from a vet within seven days ( which officials in both states must exchange) in order to cross state lines...

    well, I live in southern PA, about 15 miles from the MD line, we train/lesson/show in MD, and show in PA and VA.... Some of our horses cross state lines three times a week.. I thought prior to this, that a coggins was sufficient to travel in the Mid Atlantic region.

    Am I misreading something?
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 1999
    Middleburg VA and Southampton NY


    It would help if you post a link to what you are reading, so we can read it before attempting to guess at the answer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009


    You have always needed a health cert to cross state lines

    2 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 22, 2005


    SHows and clinics and many stable require a health certificate, ususally 10 days, when crossing state lines. You would need to check the MD state laws to see if a HC is required for private places.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 6, 2011


    Maryland Requirements *** for Equine Show Exhibitors
    • Coggins – Each exhibitor must have and present to show organizers a current (within 12 months) and valid negative Coggins (equine infectious anemia) certificate for each equine.
    • Interstate CVI - Exhibitors originating from states bordering Maryland (PA, DE, VA, WV, and to include New Jersey and the District of Columbia) do not need an Interstate Health Certificate (CVI). All those coming from other states must have an Interstate CVI signed by a veterinarian prior to entering the state.

    *** Under the new federal regulations, horses moving interstate must be identified and accompanied by an Interstate Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (ICVI)

    Effective immediately, Virginia now offers to horse owners the option of obtaining an Equine Interstate Event Permit (EIEP) allowing southeastern interstate travel for six months in lieu of multiple 30 day health certificates. The permit is recognized by the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia. We have recently been notified that New York will also begin to accept such a permit; if horse owners are planning to travel there with the EIEP, it is recommended at this time that they should contact New York in advance to confirm that their permit will be accepted.

    Horse owners interested in obtaining an EIEP will need to see their normal large animal veterinarian in order to submit the application. Instructions for the veterinarian and horse owner may be found here. Horse owners will need to have a current Coggins certificate, get a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health papers), and complete an application before an EIEP will be issued. In addition, horse owners will need to be instructed by their veterinarian in obtaining a temperature and briefly evaluating their horse for signs of illness, and sign a statement on the application attesting to their ability. Temperatures and physical exam findings must be recorded on a travel itinerary. Horses will need to be identified by either a microchip or by a set of 3 current digital photographs submitted to our office. A processing fee will be charged to the veterinarian.

    A permit may either be issued by our office, or by Global Vet Link for those veterinarians who elect to utilize that service. If the permit is to be issued by our office, the photographs (or a copy of the valid digital Coggins which contains 3 photos) should be emailed by the examining veterinarian.

Similar Threads

  1. USDA Adopts Animal Disease Traceability Program
    By sheltona01 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan. 17, 2013, 04:56 PM
  2. State Animal Humane Care Laws
    By BansheeBreeze in forum Off Course
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jan. 7, 2013, 09:59 PM
  3. USDA vet Rochester?
    By Nes in forum Off Course
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jul. 19, 2011, 11:52 AM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: Aug. 14, 2009, 12:34 AM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: Apr. 14, 2009, 12:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts