The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We talk a lot! We've been together about 13 years now, married for almost 2. We were best friends for a couple of years before we started dating. We're still best friends.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I'm on my second marriage, 13 years since we've been living in the same house. DH and I talk every evening and most mornings before we head out. We don't talk on the phone during the workday much anymore unless someone is having a crisis of some kind.

It's usually not super personal talk..politics, theories, weather, kids, animals, gossip... The weird thing is, when there are kids around and the phone is ringing and people are at the door, we always feel that our conversations are being interrupted. But, when we actually set aside time to spend together, hire a babysitter and go out to dinner or something, the conversation sometimes feels stilted.

My SO has a VERY dramatic job and workplace. He is also a BIG talker. I'm the one in the relationship who is more quiet. I like that though, I don't want the responsiblity of keeping up conversations all the time. Even with friends. I'd rather hear about someone else than talk about myself. When I speak with him, it's usually responding about his work stuff, talking about horse activities that we do (he also rides, YAY!), our animals, maybe something on the news.

We have been married 25 years. The best conversations we have are.... Good morning, have a nice day, drive safe to work, etc. If we talk about anything else it ends up in an argument that he wins because I dont fight. Or I should say I pick my battles cause once I do engage look out. (hence the nick name Hulk) He takes me for granted and totally ignores me, and that so totally works for me because for the most part I like to be left alone. He is totally happy cause everything is his way. I do most of my talking with my DD. But sometimes I think gee wouldnt it be nice to have a partner that I could talk to.

Been together 10 years (married 9) neither of us are chatty people but we do talk a good bit to each other. We also don't really see each other that much- he works night shift, I work days and then on the weekends I am riding a lot.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Patricia, I'm sorry you feel that way. That is hard to take on a daily basis.

I've been married 23 years and hubby has always been the chatty one
    Me, I can be with someone in companionable silence, no problem. No need to fill the "void".
    But we do talk quite a lot, since hubby has a home office. I'm the one getting out of the house to go to work. So, we talk about every and anything, world news, the family, the kids, the weather, work, TV shows, whatever. But then we were really good friends before even dating, so that might have a lot to do with it? I don't know.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

We are both Geminis.

What do you think?

Although I probably talk more out of the two of us. Really anything, we can discuss for HOURS.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by maxiford812 View Post
    This year will be our 33rd anniversary and we talk all the time. If something happens or is bothering me, he's the one I want to talk it out with. If we're not talking, it means one of us is ticked off with the other. We know a lot about each other, but interesting, new stuff comes up often. It's an adventure!
    I had this too.
    And you know what I miss most about being widowed after 31 years together?
    The talking.
    About something, about nothing, about anything & everything.
    I was not ready for that adventure to end.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2 members found this post helpful.

Mine chats to me all the time - more than I chat to him
    but then maybe I have used up all my words by then
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...23/2854143.htm

We talk quite a bit....he restores cars for a living and we talk about that alot and of course the horses and cats take up most of our daily conversation. The nice part is that even though the cars are his interest and the horses are mine we can take a great interest in each others conversation. ......I think that we each feel like our lives are important to each other. The cats are our source of entertainment and lots of funny conversation
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I had this too.
    And you know what I miss most about being widowed after 31 years together?
    The talking.
    About something, about nothing, about anything & everything.
    I was not ready for that adventure to end.
    2Dogs, I know what you mean. I was lucky enough to have that with my mother, who died when I was 23, and I am lucky enough to have that with DH, even after 15 years of marriage. He's generally really good about staying in touch, but sometimes when he's out on his motorcycle and hasn't checked in, I'll get worried and the talking is what I think the most about losing.

We talk about everything, but we also have a lot of rhetorical conversations. Our political views are similar but not identical. We are able to explore how we feel about different issues without becoming defensive. I think the key is that we are both very upfront, this-is-who-I-am personalities. There's no passive-aggression at all.

I think it's good because we both know we're on equal footing. In the beginning, he was much more into me than I was into him. I've always loved him, but I genuinely like him more now than I ever have.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I talk to my husband all the time although to him it just sounds like the adults from Charlie Brown, whah whah whaaaah whah.

2 members found this post helpful.

Married over 13, together over 15, and we talk a lot. He's now working away from home, gone for a week or more and home most, but not all weekends. He talks to me at least once or twice a day, and then we always talk at night before we go to bed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Married 21 years - we yip yap all the time. In the barn, at home, during the day we send it each other funny short emails - about horses, news, weather, politics...he makes me laugh all the time. Or we whine about the weather together. Or bitch about stuff. We have a similar warped sense of humour that hardly anyone else could get anyway. As my Mum says....we are perfect together, and at least we aren't making two OTHER people miserable!

I'm in a long distance relationship while I'm in school (as in another country from him) so communication can be difficult, but we try talk on the phone every evening for anywhere from 30-40 minutes to a couple of hours. We text a lot through the day also. When I'm home on breaks we tend to talk a lot more We're both not the most talkative people, but we usually find something to talk about...or I make him help me with puzzles!

If you still enjoy his company that is more important than talking about everything.
    After a few years together all you have to talk about is current events and your day at work.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Married 34+ yrs, I think we've probably covered just about every topic there is. We talk over meals but not much besides that unless there is some news worthy thing to talk about. He spends his work day talking, defusing crisis', making things work and flow seamlessly so when he gets home he is pretty much talked out; which is fine as I really don't want all the details about the work day, just the highlights. I'm retired so not much to talk about my day.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

Much shorter relationship here, been with my SO for just over 8 years, but he's definitely not a big talker. I always kind of startle when he voluntarily tells me about his day. But he's a good listener, and will engage well if I bring something up to chat about.

We've definitely talked our way through the details of ours lives, but we're young and growing so there's always new things coming up. He's involved enough with the horses (he and I are both close with my trainer and farrier) that I can chat with him about new goings on at the barn, which is really nice.

Right now I wish mine would be stop talking to me. Driving me nuts!! And I have nowhere to go because of the snow. ....

We both got stuck at home in the weather yesterday, and we both worked at the same table...chatted here and there but mostly working...

About 2:00 I said 'you might wanna go to Tractor Supply, get some bird seed'

He got the hint and took off with the dog for a few hours

Peace and quiet and space are good sometimes...go away so you can come back