The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2013
    Location
    Greenville Oh
    Posts
    15

    Default Sidesaddle

    Are there many sidesaddle riders here? My daughter loves to ride aside and this past year won the "show off" and "trail blazer" in ASA. Love to network.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2005
    Location
    Desert Southwest
    Posts
    6,210

    Default

    Yes, there are several sidesaddle riders here. Try crossposting in dressage and hunters and maybe Western, too.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    In Trouble with Dad...
    Posts
    29,899

    Default

    Look in 'the Irish are crazy' and 'Tally effing Ho'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2005
    Location
    Lorena, Texas
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    I did and still have two aside saddles. I may ride around our property some sidesaddle, but that's about it now.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

    Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2008
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    I desperately want to learn sidesaddle, but there are no teachers in my area (or at least not the last time I looked, probably about a year ago). If anyone knows anyone anywhere near Buffalo, I'd love to hear about them!
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

    Graphite/Pastel Portraits



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2010
    Posts
    279

    Default

    There are definitely a few sidesaddle riders here- do a search and I'm sure you can track them down without too much trouble! I used to ride sidesaddle quite a bit but haven't in years. I have been trying to convince myself to sell my saddle since it's only collecting dust but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    I am here.

    For any of you that are interested in riding, or do ride, aside, and you are on FB, please be sure to join the "Sidesaddle Riders!" page. We have a big international group on there (over 1,200 the last I checked).
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 23, 2002
    Location
    Eastern MA
    Posts
    2,298

    Default

    I SO want to be, at some point!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2000
    Location
    Brantford, Ontario
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Are there any pages with instructions on how to properly fit a sidesaddle to horse and rider? We've got two very, very old ones here, and if I knew that one would fit my horses and I, I would be interested in putting the money into restoring one (if either were in good enough shape to restore!). Also, is there a market out there for these old saddles? If it turns out that neither would fit me or my horses, then I would definitely be interested in finding them a new home where they might be appreciated, rather than just letting them eventually turn to dust in a corner of the tackroom.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2000
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    I can ride aside.

    Mare still doesn't seem to like my current saddle, so I need to get in touch with SidesaddleRider about getting a different one.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    Are there any pages with instructions on how to properly fit a sidesaddle to horse and rider? We've got two very, very old ones here, and if I knew that one would fit my horses and I, I would be interested in putting the money into restoring one (if either were in good enough shape to restore!). Also, is there a market out there for these old saddles? If it turns out that neither would fit me or my horses, then I would definitely be interested in finding them a new home where they might be appreciated, rather than just letting them eventually turn to dust in a corner of the tackroom.
    Try this: http://www.sidesaddleinfo.com/saddles.html
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2000
    Location
    Brantford, Ontario
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Thank you!

    So, even just from a quick look at that page, I think I can tell that my two saddles are both too small for me (I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs, so I'm guessing that my two saddles are for a petite lady? My bum sticks off the cantle of the larger of the two).

    Next question - is there a market for these old saddles? I wouldn't want much for them, I don't think, but would love to know that they've gone to someone who appreciates them or even (on a very slim chance, I know) could restore them. I really should take some pictures!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    Thank you!

    So, even just from a quick look at that page, I think I can tell that my two saddles are both too small for me (I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs, so I'm guessing that my two saddles are for a petite lady? My bum sticks off the cantle of the larger of the two).

    Next question - is there a market for these old saddles? I wouldn't want much for them, I don't think, but would love to know that they've gone to someone who appreciates them or even (on a very slim chance, I know) could restore them. I really should take some pictures!
    I would have to see pictures to see what kind of saddles you have and give you a price range for value, but yes, from your description, it sounds like they are too small for you.

    If you would like, please email me pics and info. There are many, many people looking for good, small saddles!
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2000
    Location
    Brantford, Ontario
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    That's very kind of you! I'll get the saddles out and try to get some good pictures for you. Is there any other information, or maybe measurements, that would be helpful to you? I sincerely appreciate you offering to look at them for me. I don't have my hopes up that they'll be much good to anyone in their current shape, but perhaps someone might be interested in rebuilding them.

    Thank you again, and I'll definitely be in touch!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2002
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    775

    Default

    another sidesaddle rider here... at least sometimes. ONE of these days I'll check off my "bucket list" entry of riding a dressage test aside. We're close, very close



  16. #16
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    That's very kind of you! I'll get the saddles out and try to get some good pictures for you. Is there any other information, or maybe measurements, that would be helpful to you? I sincerely appreciate you offering to look at them for me. I don't have my hopes up that they'll be much good to anyone in their current shape, but perhaps someone might be interested in rebuilding them.

    Thank you again, and I'll definitely be in touch!
    Please measure the following:
    1. Cutback to cantle
    2. Front of upright horn to cantle
    3. Width of seat
    4. Width between the front d-rings (if it has them)

    That, with pictures that show the condition of them, will be enough.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Why don't you tell her where to sell them herself, not flip them for a profit.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    3,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Why don't you tell her where to sell them herself, not flip them for a profit.
    That was completely uncalled for.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2000
    Location
    Brantford, Ontario
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Why don't you tell her where to sell them herself, not flip them for a profit.
    I do appreciate your concern, but if the saddles turned out to be something that Devon could find a good home for, I'd be delighted. They've been in the family for generations - they originally belonged to a long-gone granny, and have been sitting for a good while. I have no sidesaddle connections, and would just love to see them appreciated by someone, rather than disintegrate in a corner of my tackroom. It's not really about the money; more so getting them to the person they should be with. If everyone makes a bit along the way for their efforts to connect saddles and people, the more power to them.

    Also, I did send you a message, but I think your inbox is full. I'll try again a bit later.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,446

    Default

    I imagine 5 is just looking out for you...

    after all, if your sidesaddles are of a good "brand", those bring quite the pretty pennies once restored.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. My First Sidesaddle!
    By Sillymoose in forum Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug. 11, 2011, 03:23 PM
  2. Sidesaddle
    By Coyoteco in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 8, 2010, 09:48 PM
  3. Sidesaddle at USET
    By MyGiantPony in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul. 22, 2010, 07:37 PM
  4. Sidesaddle
    By DancingQueen in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Sep. 11, 2009, 04:10 PM
  5. Sidesaddle?
    By Hunter Mom in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Mar. 1, 2009, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness