The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sidesaddle

Are there many sidesaddle riders here? My daughter loves to ride aside and this past year won the "show off" and "trail blazer" in ASA. Love to network.

Yes, there are several sidesaddle riders here. Try crossposting in dressage and hunters and maybe Western, too.

Look in 'the Irish are crazy' and 'Tally effing Ho'

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I did and still have two aside saddles. I may ride around our property some sidesaddle, but that's about it now.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I desperately want to learn sidesaddle, but there are no teachers in my area (or at least not the last time I looked, probably about a year ago). If anyone knows anyone anywhere near Buffalo, I'd love to hear about them!
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

There are definitely a few sidesaddle riders here- do a search and I'm sure you can track them down without too much trouble! I used to ride sidesaddle quite a bit but haven't in years. I have been trying to convince myself to sell my saddle since it's only collecting dust but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet

I am here.

For any of you that are interested in riding, or do ride, aside, and you are on FB, please be sure to join the "Sidesaddle Riders!" page. We have a big international group on there (over 1,200 the last I checked).
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I SO want to be, at some point!

Are there any pages with instructions on how to properly fit a sidesaddle to horse and rider? We've got two very, very old ones here, and if I knew that one would fit my horses and I, I would be interested in putting the money into restoring one (if either were in good enough shape to restore!). Also, is there a market out there for these old saddles? If it turns out that neither would fit me or my horses, then I would definitely be interested in finding them a new home where they might be appreciated, rather than just letting them eventually turn to dust in a corner of the tackroom.

I can ride aside.

Mare still doesn't seem to like my current saddle, so I need to get in touch with SidesaddleRider about getting a different one.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    Are there any pages with instructions on how to properly fit a sidesaddle to horse and rider? We've got two very, very old ones here, and if I knew that one would fit my horses and I, I would be interested in putting the money into restoring one (if either were in good enough shape to restore!). Also, is there a market out there for these old saddles? If it turns out that neither would fit me or my horses, then I would definitely be interested in finding them a new home where they might be appreciated, rather than just letting them eventually turn to dust in a corner of the tackroom.
    Try this: http://www.sidesaddleinfo.com/saddles.html

Thank you!

So, even just from a quick look at that page, I think I can tell that my two saddles are both too small for me (I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs, so I'm guessing that my two saddles are for a petite lady? My bum sticks off the cantle of the larger of the two).

Next question - is there a market for these old saddles? I wouldn't want much for them, I don't think, but would love to know that they've gone to someone who appreciates them or even (on a very slim chance, I know) could restore them. I really should take some pictures!

Thank you!

So, even just from a quick look at that page, I think I can tell that my two saddles are both too small for me (I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs, so I'm guessing that my two saddles are for a petite lady? My bum sticks off the cantle of the larger of the two).

Next question - is there a market for these old saddles? I wouldn't want much for them, I don't think, but would love to know that they've gone to someone who appreciates them or even (on a very slim chance, I know) could restore them. I really should take some pictures!
    I would have to see pictures to see what kind of saddles you have and give you a price range for value, but yes, from your description, it sounds like they are too small for you.

If you would like, please email me pics and info. There are many, many people looking for good, small saddles!

That's very kind of you! I'll get the saddles out and try to get some good pictures for you. Is there any other information, or maybe measurements, that would be helpful to you? I sincerely appreciate you offering to look at them for me. I don't have my hopes up that they'll be much good to anyone in their current shape, but perhaps someone might be interested in rebuilding them.

Thank you again, and I'll definitely be in touch!

another sidesaddle rider here... at least sometimes. ONE of these days I'll check off my "bucket list" entry of riding a dressage test aside. We're close, very close

That's very kind of you! I'll get the saddles out and try to get some good pictures for you. Is there any other information, or maybe measurements, that would be helpful to you? I sincerely appreciate you offering to look at them for me. I don't have my hopes up that they'll be much good to anyone in their current shape, but perhaps someone might be interested in rebuilding them.

Thank you again, and I'll definitely be in touch!
    Please measure the following:
    1. Cutback to cantle
    2. Front of upright horn to cantle
    3. Width of seat
    4. Width between the front d-rings (if it has them)

That, with pictures that show the condition of them, will be enough.

Why don't you tell her where to sell them herself, not flip them for a profit.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    That was completely uncalled for.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I do appreciate your concern, but if the saddles turned out to be something that Devon could find a good home for, I'd be delighted. They've been in the family for generations - they originally belonged to a long-gone granny, and have been sitting for a good while. I have no sidesaddle connections, and would just love to see them appreciated by someone, rather than disintegrate in a corner of my tackroom. It's not really about the money; more so getting them to the person they should be with. If everyone makes a bit along the way for their efforts to connect saddles and people, the more power to them.

Also, I did send you a message, but I think your inbox is full. I'll try again a bit later.

3 members found this post helpful.

I imagine 5 is just looking out for you...

after all, if your sidesaddles are of a good "brand", those bring quite the pretty pennies once restored.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson