The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We have unlimited sick leave, but must be seen through the clinic and documented. Supervisors do have the right to give up to 2 days off without the clinic getting involved (like, your worker is puking in the corner, you don't need the doc's ok to send them home). They can also call in to their supervisor, but it's at sup's discretion whether to believe them and ok it, or order them into the clinic.

I will say that on occasion we've had people coming in claiming they're puking every hour and feel deathly ill, and when we park them on the stretcher all objective signs of illness magically resolve
    These people are few, and present on Thursdays.

We're another with the occurences, two per traveling six months, one to three days constitutes an occurence so guess how many people call in that they'll be sick for three days?

We're so freakin' short staffed since I transferred here that I haven't called in once. I usually go home and crash, sleep for 12 hours. We have other employees in a different bracket, some of them call in so much I don't know their names, but they have adequate staffing. Sort of. Management winds up subbing. Every company out there is trying not to spend any more money than they have to I guess.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We technically have 6 official sick days per year. However, on my team I have a work from home option, which can be both a blessing and a curse when sick. A blessing because (of course), if I'm not feeling my best I can just be at home and do my work and not have to waste days off. But it's also a curse because I never feel like I can take a true, full sick day. I had the flu about a month ago and, although I did take off a few hours here & there to sleep some more, I still felt that I had be online and answering emails and dialing into meetings. It was exhausting and miserable, but when I was awake, I felt like I should at least be actively working. Maybe it's just my own problem with guilt.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I am sorry to hear about the barbaric practices of so many employers. Sick people should stay home. I hate when sick folks come to work and make everyone else sick. Fortunately I have a pretty good immune system.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't like this "sick and working at home" business as I have seen it abused at my company. I really don't see how productive anyone can be if they are miserably sick with the flu. Sure staying at home keeps it contained, but it is ridiculous to be paid for work when you are that sick. Please, take sick leave.

As a supervisor, I have approved leave for employees to work at home when "sick." I had a staff member who underwent foot surgery. She had to change dressings numerous times and had to be in a special cast that made mobility an issue. I was fine with her working at home and we developed a plan on what she would do. It worked well.

We used to have a sickness occurrence type policy which created all sorts of distortions in attendance behavior. A few years ago we moved to PTO, so employees did not have to be sick to access their leave. We also instituted a policy that unless you had scheduled in advance work that you would do at home while "sick", there was no sick and working at home status. This change resulted in a decrease of Monday/Friday disease and better morale in general.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Ummmm I never had this issue, but I never gave my boss an option to say no either. By definition, Sick leave is not something you plan, so I email my boss and inform him that I'm not coming into the office in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    I don't like this "sick and working at home" business as I have seen it abused at my company. I really don't see how productive anyone can be if they are miserably sick with the flu. Sure staying at home keeps it contained, but it is ridiculous to be paid for work when you are that sick. Please, take sick leave.

As a supervisor, I have approved leave for employees to work at home when "sick." I had a staff member who underwent foot surgery. She had to change dressings numerous times and had to be in a special cast that made mobility an issue. I was fine with her working at home and we developed a plan on what she would do. It worked well.

We used to have a sickness occurrence type policy which created all sorts of distortions in attendance behavior. A few years ago we moved to PTO, so employees did not have to be sick to access their leave. We also instituted a policy that unless you had scheduled in advance work that you would do at home while "sick", there was no sick and working at home status. This change resulted in a decrease of Monday/Friday disease and better morale in general.
    Well, I'm sorry but it usually works the opposite way for me. I take a sick day and end up working anyway. Also, I am salaried, not an hourly employee, and I work most weeks 50-60 hours a week. I think my company is getting the better part of that deal overall.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Dealt with a different version of this issue at my last two jobs. The last one was particularly bad. There were two other people in my department and we all averaged at least 6 hours of OT a week just to get our own stuff done. If somebody was sick to the point of not being able to work, it was disaster and completely exhausting. The job would allow work from home days, but there was no opportunity to actually take a day OFF- you were still expected to make deadlines or it fell to somebody else who was already overburdened. I actually worked 10 hours after leaving the doctor's office the day I was diagnosed with shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    Same thing happens in college -- prof says on the first day of class that you should stay home if you're sick......in the next breath, they're telling you there are no make-ups for missed quizzes/late homeworks/etc. If you're like me, a few points is a big deal. Thankfully, I don't get sick often and have a decent immune system, but this time of year it means there's more than one hacking, coughing, ill-looking face in lecture.

Thankfully, my bosses know that I have to be feeling *really* awful to call in sick/not work from home and understand the moment I say it that I'm working on getting better.
    When I was teaching, I gave one more exam, homework set, lab, etc. than other professors specifically to account for these situations. If someone missed something, I didn't ask where they were, I simply dropped that score. So that took some pressure off.