The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Equitation Boots?

Does anyone have a favorite brand of boots for the eq? I've had Equifits for 5 years and love them, but they're beginning to fall apart. Equifit doesn't make the same boots I have anymore, and I'm not in love with how their new stuff looks. It's a little too flashy and bulky. any suggestions?

I think the Antares Open Fronts are pretty lovely http://www.smartpakequine.com/antare...ots-4719p.aspx

And I know you said you didn't like new Equifit boots because they're flashy and bulky, but these look pretty understated to me
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/equifi...ots-4628p.aspx

1 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE the Antares boots! They've been on my wish list for a long time, but I ended up with a black horse :/ I do like the luxe boots, but they're rather pricey... I've been trying to find something cheaper, but I might have to end up splurging on them. thank you for your opinions!

The Antares are nice! I've been looking at those recently as well as Equifit and was nervous to go with leather straps or urethane tabs because I thought they might rub or not fit well. Is that an issue?

I ordered some leather Pro Choice open fronts (and hinds) to try. Haven't received them yet so I don't know if they'll be ideal. http://www.smartpakequine.com/profes...x?cm_vc=Search
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I've never had an experience with either version of the strap rubbing. As for fit, the elastic is stretchy and so you can adjust that quite easily. The leather straps, on the other hand, have holes punched closely together so you should be able to achieve a good fit there, too. The boots only need to be so snug that they are effective and secure, not bone-shatteringly tight.

I'm not too concerned about the leather straps breaking on the equifits because the reviews are all great! plus smartpak will usually take them back if they break unusually early. as for the pro choice, the velcro is not the best look for the show ring. I've seen them before and WISH they came tab closures or buckles! Thank you, though!

It doesn't get much more low-profile than the classic Beval open fronts: http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-...d/2008012.aspx

Quality is very good, too.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you! those look nice

Quote Originally Posted by RW06 View Post
    It doesn't get much more low-profile than the classic Beval open fronts: http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-...d/2008012.aspx

I am old school... and do not show in the Eq. ring any more. But back in the mid 1990's I bought a set of these. So classy and understated. Mine are still in great shape after all of these years (I also have sheepskin that can be used with them - or go without).

I also have a set of the beval open fronts that are years old and used daily and still look nice enough to show in. I have a pair of pessoa open fronts that are ALMOST as nice as the bevals.

That being said, I've been drooling over those antares open fronts forever. I'd bite the bullet and get a set if I was doing the eq.

ETA: the bevals run small! Mine are larges and are snug on my 15.1HH fine boned TB. He's in the S/M size for equifits.

Quote Originally Posted by RW06 View Post

I have both the older buckle style and the newer style leather open fronts and ankle boots from Beval. I typically use the new style ones as I think they provide a bit more protection and I bought these new as opposed to the older ones were used. I also find the newer style gets less footing in them after a long clinic or lesson. Quality is great in either pair. I have had the pair I bought new for 6 years and the used pair 2 years.

http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-...t/2061900.aspx
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

If I had a black horse, the Beval Classics are definitely what I would go for. I've drooled over them a few times at the tack store...although the equifit luxe are gorgeous too.

When I did the Eqs, I used the Beval boots. This was almost 10 years ago and I just replaced my original pair of Beval boots with another pair. Classics and they are awesome quality.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Go with the Beval boots. Timeless, classic and proven throughout the years to hold up really well. Can't go wrong with them!

Thank you guys!!! looks like i'll have to go with the bevals

1 members found this post helpful.