The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Texting smoke alarm

There is an arsonist in our area whose preferred target is old barns. At least 12 horses have died as a result of the fires. I wish I were kidding or being alarmist. But no.

I have a cute circa 1918 wood barn that my horses have access to. I want to do whatever I can to protect the horses, the cats, the barn, my tack and the hay and feed . My horses don't live in the barn 24/7, they can come and go into part of it, but in severe weather they are in stalls in it. I live on site, but so did some of the other farm owners who were victims.

I was thinking that I would like to have a fire alarm that would text or call me if it detected a fire. If I was sleeping in the house it would wake me up because I sleep with my cell phone next to my bed, and if I was on the road or offsite, I would be alerted and could call the fire department. Maybe it could help...

Has anyone done this or have any other ideas? Here is the detector I am considering: http://www.gizmag.com/firetext-smoke-alarm/19186/

Any detector system you look at make sure it is designed for the high dust environment of a barn.
    The detectors you have in your house would either not work or go off all the time in a barn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Texts do not always get delivered quickly.

If you set up a system, you want calls, not texts.

Ditto Tru-- what you want is a "Rate of Rise" or Heat detector.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Cameras and signs. Best to prevent the fire.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

I ended up using a wireless baby monitor. My barn is about 500 feet or so from the house, and it works just fine. I am hoping the horses will make enough noise to wake me if there is ever a fire.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I ended up using a wireless baby monitor. My barn is about 500 feet or so from the house, and it works just fine. I am hoping the horses will make enough noise to wake me if there is ever a fire.
    I used A BABY MONITOR when my mare was due to foal - worked like a charm!
    Sandy in Fla.

Ooooh, LauraKY, I think we have a winner - camera (webcam with at least 12 hour recorder) and signs. Maybe the baby monitor too for the unusual occasion when they are in at night. Thanks, all for your thoughtful answers.

Rate of rise IS a heat detector.
    You don't want to be responsible for the one calling the fire dept. you need a central station monitored fire alarm and/or master box (or radio as some cities have switched) which goes direct to the fd as well as a central station.

Cameras won't prevent fires. They just allow you to watch your property burn.

Camstock, this isn't available in the US. And as a fire professional, I'm doubtful the NFPA will approve it as is. I wouldn't trust it

talk to the firemarshal or who ever is dealing with those things i your area.

I am pretty sure these things can be set up with a lot of alarm systems out on the market already (also see if you can find a knowledgable alarm system guy. Do interview more than one, mileage varies)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Rate of rise IS a heat detector.
    You don't want to be responsible for the one calling the fire dept. you need a central station monitored fire alarm and/or master box (or radio as some cities have switched) which goes direct to the fd as well as a central station.

Cameras won't prevent fires. They just allow you to watch your property burn.
    But a camera might very well prevent a firebug from starting a fire. Which was the OP's concern. Better to prevent it than try to put it out.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I would post signs around the property that there are cameras in place. That should deter people.

Quote Originally Posted by Camstock View Post
    Ooooh, LauraKY, I think we have a winner - camera (webcam with at least 12 hour recorder) and signs. Maybe the baby monitor too for the unusual occasion when they are in at night. Thanks, all for your thoughtful answers.
    I had a great intercom system from barn to house with receivers in the 4 major rooms I used on a regular basis. Then I had cameras installed and found out the the antenna's or whatever just caused static on the intercom system. I had to take the intercom system down completely. While there is an intercom built into the cameras, it only sends for 5 seconds which really sucks to put it mildly.

Moral of the story, if you go with cameras and a baby monitor intercom, make sure they work together.

My intercom would pick up when the neighbor's dogs came out (think 5 german shepards and 2 mini-docks).
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!