The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flipping off a judge - the consequences

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfttKjMM8rQ

I get sent down to court every once in a while, on juvie days, to do adjournments.. And am always astounded by the attitude of the kids I see.

This judge, is my hero! Watch to the end -- he takes care of business.

Hey! They cut it off too soon. I wanted to see the look on her face when she got 30 days in the county jail.

3 members found this post helpful.

I watched that many times this morning! I want to clone that judge!

I am proctoring a quiz at the moment so I watched it with the sound off. It's fascinating how much I could decipher from her body language. At first she tries the child touched with a hint of tease (hair tossing, hand on mouth, etc), then it's full on flirt (drawing the hair down over her shoulders), heck I was waiting for her to show her neck! But as things stopped going her way you got the defensive/angry folded arms, the finger, and then the shock of consequences, a hasty attempt at flirtation, then anger.

I don't know how closely I'm matching the audio, but it was interesting.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Personally, I thought that unless this kid is in an unusually wealthy demographic, the $5,000 and $10,000 fines are too much.

$10k is $500 a month for two years, and who knows what interest arrangements there are. That is the sort of thing that could trap someone in a cycle they couldn't get out of. Can she take on additional student loans to maybe get educated now? Can she even go to school if she has to work to pay this down? Etc.

I personally would have favored more county jail time, since that is a more immediate punishment rather than something that drags out to years later when she maybe is an entirely different person still being hampered in her efforts to better herself.

The money is actually a much longer sentence.

what they heck was she on?

4 members found this post helpful.

I just watched the video. What an idiot chick! Hope she learned a lesson.

She was trying to flirt, and be cute, to get out of her legal problems. Which didn't work.

1 members found this post helpful.

It wasn't a 5k or 10k fine, it was the bond amount, so impact not nearly so severe.

She was better behaved the second time before a (different) judge.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Woman-W...189997411.html

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Personally, I thought that unless this kid is in an unusually wealthy demographic, the $5,000 and $10,000 fines are too much.

$10k is $500 a month for two years, and who knows what interest arrangements there are. That is the sort of thing that could trap someone in a cycle they couldn't get out of. Can she take on additional student loans to maybe get educated now? Can she even go to school if she has to work to pay this down? Etc.

I personally would have favored more county jail time, since that is a more immediate punishment rather than something that drags out to years later when she maybe is an entirely different person still being hampered in her efforts to better herself.

The money is actually a much longer sentence.
    I didn't watch this video (internet too slow at home), but I watched a similar one at work today. The fact that the girl was wearing "expensive" jewelry and showing it off was pointed out, but as someone else already said 10K was the bond amount.

I applaud the judge. I think this type of thing needs to happen more often. She acted like a spoiled little brat with no respect for the judge.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Poor kid. She learned the hard way that there are consequences to her behavior. That happens too often these days (wow do I sound like an old fart or what) with this indulged and coddled kids who eventually become indulged and coddled adults who think they're entitled to do whatever they want. I mean, would you have thought to flip off a judge as a young adult? It reminds me of another video some time ago of a young basketball prospect who (I think) violated a restraining order against a girlfriend he'd been accused of attacking. When the judge set his sentence he was flummoxed. It was as if right up to that point he thought he would get away with acting badly.

I found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFctFChKYPg

We're setting up our young people to fail when we fail to train them to be good citizens.

Paula

She wasn't wearing jewelry; jewelry is removed in custody for a variety of reasons, and you can see in the video that she is not wearing any. She bragged that she owned "a lot of jewelry all right" while smiling, obviously not taking the process seriously.

I was so tickled to see this video that I showed it to coworkers as soon as I got to work. This is a life lesson, but of course it won't sink in. She will still blame the arresting officer, the judge, the system, her defense attorney (who I am sure did a big ole face palm when her mouth started running) before she will blame herself for the consequences. She is not a "poor kid." She is an adult caught with a prescription drug that was not hers, breaking the law, and then sassing off to the judge.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

8 members found this post helpful.

She got caught with Xanax bars. Though I am very familiar with Xanax, didn't know about the bars. So I looked them up. I was in the anxiety portion of the bar years go (1/4 of the bar). Love the caption I saw if you take the full bar: "today didn't happen."

2 members found this post helpful.

Am I the only one who forgot this was the off-topic forum and pictured someone on a horse huffily exiting the ring?
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

13 members found this post helpful.

Perfect example of the lack of respect that many of today's young people possess. (There are some great parents raising good teens, but this lack of respect seems to be the norm.)

What I mean by, "poor kid" is in West Indian context. It is the WI version of "bless your heart". When someone says, "poor you" they mean you're an idiot and you're about to pay the price for being a damned fool.

Didn't mean to speak Trini. "Poor you" means, "Boy, you have come to a pass..."

There is also the head-cocked, shake-head sadly and say, "Ow".
    This is the West Indian equivalent of looking askance.

Paula

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

I love it how today's young generation is all bad ass until they have to be punished. then they act like sniveling babies. If my son ever did this to authority, he wouldn't have to worry about the authority figure. He would beg for jail time so he didn't have to face me.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    It wasn't a 5k or 10k fine, it was the bond amount, so impact not nearly so severe.
    Oh thanks!

That makes a lot more sense.

Adios!
    Quarry Rat

I bet clients like her make defense attorneys wish they were allowed to use dart guns and muzzles on their clients....