The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Trailer: Converting Ramp to Step-up - Gate Question

Looking for some input if you will..
    (Forgive me I am not technical in my terms)

My husband and I purchase an older 2-horse bumper pull trailer last fall.
    Several items have already been replaced, brakes, floor etc but we are now in the midst of converting it from a ramp to a step up since the ramp was rusted through and very heavy!

Hubby is a welder by trade and we purchased a small-ish welder to weld the hinges for the gate since his shop welders cannot be moved.

Out of my own curiosity and not wanting to 'bite the hand that feeds you' sort of speak, I was curious how much weight must the gate be able to take?
    - Does it really take any weight?

(We have butt chains with cushions in the trailer and the gate itself is welded steel with five supports and plywood overtop.)

If anyone has any photos of their conversions, it would be lovely. I am a slight control addict and worry when I do not understand a project :S

TYIA!

I had a trailer a while back that the woman I bought it from did just what you want to do. It was a Trailet 2h slant load BP. The ramp was fine, but she did not want to replace the springs to make it easier to lift up (which confused me?).

She ended up making the back ramp into back doors. I can show you pictures if you would like. I will warn you though that I was never a fan of the trailer. The doors were bulky and heavy and the job was not done with easy in mind. Some careful planning could have made it better IMO, but I just needed a cheap reliable trailer and that fit the bill.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I had a trailer a while back that the woman I bought it from did just what you want to do. It was a Trailet 2h slant load BP. The ramp was fine, but she did not want to replace the springs to make it easier to lift up (which confused me?).

She ended up making the back ramp into back doors. I can show you pictures if you would like. I will warn you though that I was never a fan of the trailer. The doors were bulky and heavy and the job was not done with easy in mind. Some careful planning could have made it better IMO, but I just needed a cheap reliable trailer and that fit the bill.
    Pictures would be great if you have any handy
    Cheap, reliable trailer was my thought as well for the time being.
    I only go to 4-5 shows annually and we are located right near the farms where they are held.
    I would love fancy but granite counters trump fancy trailer right now