The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for Dressage in Redding, California

Hello!
    Long time reader, just signed up to ask this question:

I'll be moving out to the Redding, CA this summer. I am headed out there next week to look at housing and barns.

Based on an internet search I cannot find any dressage out there or in neighboring towns.

I want to find a trainer, and hope they will have a school master for me to ride. I might be getting my own horse while I'm out there, but it will depend on our finances.

Can someone suggest a few places I can call and set up a barn tour? I want to get the barn in place before committing on a place to live so I dont have a long commute.

Thanks in advance!

It isn't a dressage mecca, but they do have a CDS chapter (Shasta Chapter), you might start there. I think they have a couple of rated shows each year, then many people drive into Sacramento area for bigger shows (aka Rancho Murieta and Starr Vaughn). There are a few judges who live out in the Chico area - a bit of a drive, but closer then Sac.

Thanks for the tips. I am not too concerned with shows as much as finding a high level instructor and a schoolmaster. That's what I really need to get myself to a good spot riding-wise. Unfortunately I have been calling so many barns and they are out of business or western. I don't mind driving an hour if anyone can suggest places for me.

Redding is rather remote. Try the Shasta chapter of CDS and see if anyone has suggestions.

There are a number of trainers in the Vacaville area, but I think that's going to be at least a couple of hours away.

1 members found this post helpful.

I pm'd you w an email address for the Shasta Chapter.

Oy vey. You are not coming to a dressage (or hunter, or jumper, or english-riding in general) rich place. Your best bet is probably driving around an hour and a half or two hours, but I know of one trainer for sure and know of a few other people operating more on the DL....I'll PM you.

Oh -thank you, thank you!
    If you PM'd me I got the messages, I had a hard time figuring out how to reply. The message had fine print telling me "do not reply to this message! go to another website.." and then that other website was unservicable But I'll work on that.

So I will call all trainers that were suggested today! (waiting for CA time to start) And I'll email the Shasta CDS chapter as instructed.

I knew Redding was not going to be very happening in dressage, but I only need to find 1 upper level trainer (and 1 school master)!

Before I turned to COTH I was calling all sorts of out of business numbers and my standards were dropping to "well, this website has pictures of kids riding in english saddles...so I'll call them!"

And I told my husband I might have to get a back up plan to adopt a mustang and start competitively trail riding. I was serious when I discussed this with him. If I cant do dressage correctly, I dont want to do in a teach myself method and develop bad habits.

The messages has given me hope and optimism! Thanks so much! I am so looking forward to a new adventure in California!

Tashac, I have a very dear friend who lives in Anderson (very close). She knows the area intimately and has very high standards. I will PM you with her contact info - and tell her I've done so (later tonight).

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

If you want to take up mustangs (although I hope you find what you're looking for with our dressage trainers) let me know....I know of someone who works exclusively with mustangs in a variety of disciplines up here. :-)

Big_Red_Ottb- I might take you up on it eventually. I know mustangs are not an easy undertaking, but I have seen a few real gems and have always been drawn to the idea. I have found a few organizations that sells gentled- mustangs and think that might be a starting point if I go in that direction. My husband has a very romantic idea that we will buy acres and I will have a horse in my backyard (might as well be a mustang). But I told him my first choice is to further my dressage training. I currently live in a non- dressage area and I am chomping at the bit to see some half passes and extensions! Trail horses, or bringing along a horse from the early stages might be for after I get so burned out and frustrated from dressage that I need a break! Which happens every few years.

Finding a schoolmaster to take lessons on may be harder then finding a trainer. If you are going to buy one, that is one thing, but very few trainers give lessons on their own upper level horses We are lacking good schoolmaster lesson horses and lunge horses

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Finding a schoolmaster to take lessons on may be harder then finding a trainer. If you are going to buy one, that is one thing, but very few trainers give lessons on their own upper level horses We are lacking good schoolmaster lesson horses and lunge horses
    Really anywhere in California, schoolmaster lesson horses are hard to come by.

Good luck, OP. I hope you find a great situation that works for you.

And if you can't find a great dressage instructor, great horsemen are great horsemen, and it all builds knowledge.

The other option is to find someone really fabulous and drive to them once a month while you do other riding locally.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Oh God. Do you HAVE to move to Redding?! Have you ever visited?

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm going to visit Redding tomorrow! I'll be out there for 6 days! I'm excited for a change of scenery,

Tashac, I sent you two PMs - hope you received them! And I hope you're having a good time in REALLY northern CA!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Hi Tashac! I have read through this entire exchange and am interested in any information you have obtained that you would be willing to share. There is talk of my husband potentially being relocated to the Redding area, so I have the same questions as you! Looking for a great trainer and a good place to board
    Thanks in advance!

Hi Naysnays - I saw your post about potentially moving to Redding. It is true that there are fewer horse opportunities here than in other areas, particularly for dressage enthusiasts, but there are a few of us and we maintain an active California Dressage Society chapter - the Shasta Chapter. Typically we have at least one or two schooling shows a year, a rated show, and educational events. There are few dressage trainers in the area, but we are fortunate enough to have some pretty high caliber clinicians visit on a fairly regular basis and there are frequent clinics in places like Chico (about 1 1/2 hour drive). Boarding in the Redding area is kind of sketchy. There are a number of places, but not many that I would recommend. In my opinion, I'm at the best around - one of the best kept secrets - finding this place after having boarded over the years at several others. It's not fancy, but there is a very nice barn with paddocks, large turnouts, a large outdoor arena, roundpen, and the care is fabulous. All of the horses are fat and very happy. There is also a great group of fun, supportive boarders, mostly dressage riders. If you would like contact info, PM me and I'll get you more info.