The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The "Cats are murderers" in the news

So, lately I have seeing these stories about how cats are responsible for "billions" of small animal deaths per year, and in fact are responsible for the extinction of several birds, etc.

Ok, I get it. Cats are hunters, and people need to spay and neuter.

I have not seen the statistics, and the "studies" the articles site seem a bit ambiguous. I just feel that cats always seem to get the bad rap.

What about buildings made of glass? Wind turbines? Airplanes? Dogs? Foxes? Coyotes? There are lots of reasons for birds and small animal deaths.

I just find it hard to imagine that it is primarily cats causing all of this. And I guess I am naive, but I can't fathom how, outside of studying a closed population, one can prove that cats are the primary murderer of thes species?

Ok now for the good part. One of my little barn kitties went missing about 2 months ago. She is a timid, stick right close to the barn type, so I feared the worst.

I looked far and wide, called til I was hoarse, for weeks.

Saturday morning at 5 am, she staggered onto the back porch. No injuries, but emaciated.

We've been feeding her small meals, and she's doing great.

The first meal we gave her she purred and whimpered while she ate, she was so hungry.

Pretty sure she missed out on murdering many things.

It just got me to thinking about these people who malign "strays, ferals, etc."

I can't imagine what she went through and I am HAPPY she's home and safe, but I'm REALLY glad she didn't run into someone who thought she was a murderer to be gotten rid of.

Rant over.

Oh, and she's spayed and up to date on all her shots.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Congrats on your getting your barn kitty back!

Murdering cats: well, isn't that why we have barn cats? To keep the vermin down to a dull roar? I'm quite happy for my two to take out those stupid sparrows that poop over everything. I'm also happy to find the occasional beheaded rat (don't ask, it's kind of gross and I'm not sure why i always insist on properly identifying dead things)

Now, I have to admit, one of my cats does sit up the hay waiting for those poor little barn swallows to try to fly for the first time. It does seem a bit unfair. The parents do "rain on his parade" as best they can. Good thing they seem to have lots and lots of babies....

So, when someone you know complains about "murdering cats", just say well **ll yes, that's their JOB.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cats breed faster than dogs and tend to survive longer and in greater numbers as ferals. They're also much more efficient hunters. They outnumber coyotes and also don't hunt the same things (coyotes are not big into smaller songbirds, for example.) They really aren't a good thing to introduce to an ecosystem, and in some places where there aren't a lot of small ground predators (like New Zealand) they've been terribly destructive to rare and endangered ground-dwelling birds that didn't evolve dealing with ground predators.

So yeah, they're a nasty invasive and they kill a lot of small birds and mammals. Most of them shouldn't be outdoors (and the ones that are, in addition to predating, are at risk of getting predated themselves--coyotes aren't all that interested in warblers, but they WILL snack on cats if they can catch them.) They don't serve much of a purpose in the wild, and ought to be spayed, neutered, and kept under control. But one that gets lost is a lot more likely to run into a coyote, a dog, get run over by a car, get injured and die of the infection, than be found by someone who'd shoot her or take her to the pound.

6 members found this post helpful.

Feral cats are the majority of the issue, not owned cats.

But, yes, they are killers and they can devastate songbird populations. It's one of the main reasons my two cats are indoor-only pets, aside from their own safety.

2 members found this post helpful.

well, there are populations of small felines in many places of the world, of course, 'Down Under' had to be spechul...

Yes, they kill stuff. but murder? sheesh...

Anyhow, I keep thinking, when a bird gets caught by a cat, he needed killin...

Having said this.. I am about to put a bounty on them damn squirels...cat is getting lazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Default Exactly

And add to this, the average lifespan of a free roaming feral cat is between 18 months and 3 years.

I'd love to spay an neuter every stray cat, and I spay or neuter every stray that has come onto my property over the years( more than 40 over the last 7 years or so.

I think my point being that it is really hard to prove that cats are so destructive in this country (again outside of closed populations, and I have heard of the problems in New Zealand and Austrailia)

As far as invasive species, at this point how may species are invasive?

I'm just saying that to point to cats as the primary perpetrator is a bit one sided.

In addition to this, I guess I it seems that it is almost in some cases, considered masculine or acceptable to be cruel to cats, but everyone wants to help dogs.

It is sad that cats always get a bad rap. And it's seems more socially acceptable to hate cats but not dogs... I don't get it either.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

So wasn't the killing of cats the main cause of the Plague back in the Dark ages? People killed the cats, the rats population exploded, spread the Plague, and millions of people died. I know if we didn't have the cats we would have a HUGE rodent problem on this farm.

I've often wondered, if cats are such efficient killers, why am I overrun with birds on my farm and why do I have mouse traps strategically set in the house? I have four cats, two strictly indoors and 2 indoor/outdoor cats.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Both high-quality sources are very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    I've often wondered, if cats are such efficient killers, why am I overrun with birds on my farm and why do I have mouse traps strategically set in the house? I have four cats, two strictly indoors and 2 indoor/outdoor cats.
    According to the Oatmeal piece, it's only 1 of 3 cats that exerts himself (and more usually, herself) to become a gratuitous serial killer.

You got some slackers with your set being unfortunate, but within statistical limits. Maybe you should get some more cats.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    Make sure you feed your cats well. If cats are having to hunt for food, they will try to conserve energy and not hunt for fun. Also, in my experience female cats make better mousers.

I have to say I hate this simple (stupid) "the cat is the killer" kind of articles. And Jetsmom, thanks for the GREAT Vox article!!!! Yes, agenda-driven, playing "find the villan" as a form of wildlife managment has just been disasterous for so many species ("lets kill all the coyotes and cougars and wolves, oh......wait.....where'd all the deer come from? Wow, its like we're overRUN!!!!")

Yes, kill off all the cats, label them as "nasty" and whatever (just as we have done with species before them), then we'll have a whole set of new problems. RATS! MICE! (and whatever they may be carrying) Maybe we should focus on the damage MAN is doing to the environment on so many fronts before getting our little knickers in a twist about evil cats.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    I have to say I hate this simple (stupid) "the cat is the killer" kind of articles. And Jetsmom, thanks for the GREAT Vox article!!!! Yes, agenda-driven, playing "find the villan" as a form of wildlife managment has just been disasterous for so many species ("lets kill all the coyotes and cougars and wolves, oh......wait.....where'd all the deer come from? Wow, its like we're overRUN!!!!")

Yes, kill off all the cats, label them as "nasty" and whatever (just as we have done with species before them), then we'll have a whole set of new problems. RATS! MICE! (and whatever they may be carrying) Maybe we should focus on the damage MAN is doing to the environment on so many fronts before getting our little knickers in a twist about evil cats.

AMEN!

Default Thank you!

I'm not saying cats don't kill, I am just saying that is seems that cats are often made to be villains, and in many cases cruelty to cats is often considered humorous, but you never hear these types of things about dogs.

Even the humane societies and animal welfare groups seem to favor dogs. The next commercial you see for a humane society, count the dog to cat ratio.

Have you ever heard someone say, "it's just a barn dog?"

Admittedly I am more of a cat person, though I love dogs. Sometimes though I just get REALLY tired of cats getting the bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Cats breed faster than dogs and tend to survive longer and in greater numbers as ferals. They're also much more efficient hunters. They outnumber coyotes and also don't hunt the same things (coyotes are not big into smaller songbirds, for example.) They really aren't a good thing to introduce to an ecosystem, and in some places where there aren't a lot of small ground predators (like New Zealand) they've been terribly destructive to rare and endangered ground-dwelling birds that didn't evolve dealing with ground predators.

So yeah, they're a nasty invasive and they kill a lot of small birds and mammals. Most of them shouldn't be outdoors (and the ones that are, in addition to predating, are at risk of getting predated themselves--coyotes aren't all that interested in warblers, but they WILL snack on cats if they can catch them.) They don't serve much of a purpose in the wild, and ought to be spayed, neutered, and kept under control. But one that gets lost is a lot more likely to run into a coyote, a dog, get run over by a car, get injured and die of the infection, than be found by someone who'd shoot her or take her to the pound.
    One could say that humans too are nasty invasives and kill a lot of animals, rendering entire species extinct. I mean, if you want to spay and neuter a destructive species and keep it under control ...

Oh, wait ... which species is it that passed laws against just that?
    Rack on!

Quote Originally Posted by Rackonteur View Post
    One could say that humans too are nasty invasives and kill a lot of animals, rendering entire species extinct. I mean, if you want to spay and neuter a destructive species and keep it under control ...

Oh, wait ... which species is it that passed laws against just that?
    PETA...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy76 View Post
    So, lately I have seeing these stories about how cats are responsible for "billions" of small animal deaths per year, and in fact are responsible for the extinction of several birds, etc.

Ok, I get it. Cats are hunters, and people need to spay and neuter.

I have not seen the statistics, and the "studies" the articles site seem a bit ambiguous. I just feel that cats always seem to get the bad rap.

What about buildings made of glass? Wind turbines? Airplanes? Dogs? Foxes? Coyotes? There are lots of reasons for birds and small animal deaths.

I just find it hard to imagine that it is primarily cats causing all of this. And I guess I am naive, but I can't fathom how, outside of studying a closed population, one can prove that cats are the primary murderer of thes species?

Ok now for the good part. One of my little barn kitties went missing about 2 months ago. She is a timid, stick right close to the barn type, so I feared the worst.

I looked far and wide, called til I was hoarse, for weeks.

Saturday morning at 5 am, she staggered onto the back porch. No injuries, but emaciated.

We've been feeding her small meals, and she's doing great.

The first meal we gave her she purred and whimpered while she ate, she was so hungry.

Pretty sure she missed out on murdering many things.

It just got me to thinking about these people who malign "strays, ferals, etc."

I can't imagine what she went through and I am HAPPY she's home and safe, but I'm REALLY glad she didn't run into someone who thought she was a murderer to be gotten rid of.

Rant over.

Oh, and she's spayed and up to date on all her shots.
    That's wonderful that she returned home. Sounds like she got shut in somewhere. One of mine used to go walkabout and disappeared for 3 weeks, came home in the same condition. She stuck around home for a couple of months, then disappeared again about 2 years ago. I keep hoping she's OK and will find her way home.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy76 View Post
    I'm not saying cats don't kill, I am just saying that is seems that cats are often made to be villains, and in many cases cruelty to cats is often considered humorous, but you never hear these types of things about dogs. Even the humane societies and animal welfare groups seem to favor dogs. The next commercial you see for a humane society, count the dog to cat ratio. Have you ever heard someone say, "it's just a barn dog?"
    That's absolutely true. However, I think the Smithsonian piece isn't just a slander on cats, but another POV on the situation of ferals particularly, one that's sorely needed right now, as TNR becomes the feline version of no-kill, where you either agree with them completely or you're a POS who wants animals to die.