The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Package delivery to the street on Saturdays, offices open Saturdays and mail in the PO Boxes. What exactly is going to happen to the small town newspapers that use the USPS to do their delivery on Saturdays remains to be seen.

And it's not graven in stone, the USPS has a six day mandate and this is trying to use a technicality - packages to the street - to satisfy that.

We still need a system of some sort. Hard copy is less and less necessary but it's still required for vehicle titles and birth and death certificates and all kind of RE transactions. Is there any kind of online read receipt and ID verification? - I know the PM system here has read receipt, but so far the return receipt is a USPS thing.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    What exactly is going to happen to the small town newspapers that use the USPS to do their delivery on Saturdays remains to be seen.
    how were they doing that? It would ahve had to been mailed on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Hard copy is less and less necessary but it's still required for vehicle titles and birth and death certificates and all kind of RE transactions. Is there any kind of online read receipt and ID verification? - I know the PM system here has read receipt, but so far the return receipt is a USPS thing.
    there are currently eight methods of getting a receipt on a USPS delievery

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...n!input.action

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I think you would be surprised by the number of people who receive payments of various types by mail. Money is pretty important and with phone deposit can be deposited immediately so waiting until Monday sucks.
    at this moment it is 19 days until the Social Security Check become an thing of the past... fully electronic being March 1st
    http://www.godirect.org/

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    If someone can't wait until Monday to get a check they would otherwise would have received on Saturday, they might want to re-evaluate their finances and not live check to check.
    In nearly 100% of the cases of a check it can not be credited to some one's account until end of business Monday as the Fed's system is closed therefore inter bank transfers cannot occur

now they could take it a check cashing place, pay a discount and get money.

My bank makes $200 of a deposit available immediately.

Nice sentiment caballero, maybe if our country paid living wages, people wouldn't have to live paycheck to paycheck.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I could care less about Saturday delivery. I get nothing important in the mail, except packages. I do a good portion of my shopping online. I keep a PO Box because I get a ridiculous amount of credit card offers and balance transfer offers and cash advance offers... despite occassionally trying to contact these companies and say STOP. While people worry about their information being stolen online, most identity theft comes from paper... it would be so easy for someone to take one of those credit card offers in my mailbox and have a spree. So for me, the price of the post office box is identify theft insurance.

What kind of bugs me is how they keep on increasing package prices. I thought packages were where they were actually making money? If anything the LETTER prices should be drastically increased. I mean, you can't send anything through UPS/Fedex no matter how small for less than like $8 or $9. Being able to send a letter across the country for less than fifty cents is way too cheap, in my opinion. I hate that they are letting junk mailers get away with cheap cheap prices but people who are actually something productive like buying or selling are getting prices jacked constantly. The package prices go up way more often than the stamp prices.

I can't get the quote feature to work right now. So Clanter, in my town the little newspaper uses the USPS as their paperboys. They do their print run and head out to stock up all the vending machines and on the way they stop by the delivery entrance of the PO and drop off all their local subscription papers. The PO is staffed at 0400 hours so the paper gets in with the regular mail, and that's how they do it.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post

The proposed 'start date' of this is August 1st I believe, and I'm sure we will hear lots more by then.

Many smaller offices have been 'combined' already, or had their hours shortened as opposed to closing them. Postmasters in the tiny offices did not make as much money as those in larger offices. Some (or most) of them made less than clerks in the postal system. Now there will not be postmasters in those small offices; they will have some new title and be paid even less. Those who were postmasters in affected offices will have to find another job in the postal system or be out of a job by Sept 2014.

The biggest issue (besides job security) will be getting three days of mail delivered on Monday. (Or four days of mail on a Tuesday holiday.) I also wonder if they will still be sending mail form the plants for some offices to break down and distribute to the different carrier sections, even though the carriers are not there. Then the clerks would put up the P O Box section mail, etc.

Lots of questions. . .

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    In nearly 100% of the cases of a check it can not be credited to some one's account until end of business Monday as the Fed's system is closed therefore inter bank transfers cannot occur

now they could take it a check cashing place, pay a discount and get money.
    Happens a lot. Of ~4100 employees at a particular client I worked with, almost half were hourly union workers who refused direct deposit or pay cards. Checks ended up having to be sent to the nearest office for pickup because they had mail issues and people complained to the unions. Most of these folks did not own bank accounts and did, in fact, use check cashing places.

It's more common than we of the privileged horsey set might think.

I'll donate $100 to a rescue organization of some kind if this actually occurs as announced. Pretending that there is service on Saturday with hand-waving, smoke and mirrors to get around the Congressional mandate for six day service, just isn't going to fly.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Happens a lot. Of ~4100 employees at a particular client I worked with, almost half were hourly union workers who refused direct deposit or pay cards. Checks ended up having to be sent to the nearest office for pickup because they had mail issues and people complained to the unions. Most of these folks did not own bank accounts and did, in fact, use check cashing places.

It's more common than we of the privileged horsey set might think.
    that would not stop, if the check was sent general delievery as it appears they are it is held for 30 days at the main post office of zip code.... the adressee walks up to the counter and ask for the mail