The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Postal Service Changes

So...what are your thoughts on no mail on Saturdays? Any idea what happens to the carriers now? I used to know someone who worked for the postoffice but we haven't talked in forever. Last I heard they were making her work 6 days a week shorter days, more mail and on their case to get it all done without OT....

I thought I heard they were cutting carriers back too.

Didn't catch the whole thing on the news... can anyone update me? Any thoughts on it? I know for me, it will just make getting to the post office before 5 a challenge on the rare occasion I need to use it.
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Should have done it years ago...

I can wait till Monday to get bills. Anything urgent comes Fedex.

3 members found this post helpful.

pissed. i like getting mail. i just got two emails asking me for renewals of some stuff; i'm going to wait til they mail me the notice, and then SEND A CHECK.

(great minds thinking alike: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...urday-delivery )

4 members found this post helpful.

Poor carriers will make less, I guess. Better than not having a job at all.

I won't miss it at all. I rarely get any mail at all anymore. I feel bad for anyone who may be getting their wages cut, but something has to give and electronics have made much mail obsolete. The only real letters I send anymore are to my grandmother.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Bid deal... I don't remember when was the last time we had deliveries on Saturday here in Canada. We lived! I don't think the carriers are suffering either. They would balk at having to work 5 days/week. Are you kidding? No pick up at the box either on Sat. or Sunday (can't even remember).
    Plus who to blame? Us, because of our increase use of email and courier companies.
    I hardly ever use the mail any more...

1 members found this post helpful.

Who is to blame? Well, yes, partially us because we use the mail less and less (although package deliveries are up), but I place a good part of the blame on Congress forcing USPS to fund their retiree health care 75 years into the future and not allowing them to expand to offer other services as other countries do.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

11 members found this post helpful.

I wont miss it, I never mail anything anymore, barely write checks (have to go find the checkbook). It should have been done a while ago. I think the Postal Service has to come to the realization that they are a dying industry and need to restructure/reshape themselves into a modern day package delivery service. That's basically all we use them for nowadays, to cheaply ship Ebay packages.

I am meh about myself and my mail, sucks for the employees who will probably get dinged in the pay department. That's my opinion. When DH is on deployment, I only check the mail every third or fourth day anyways...
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

--and i just now see that senate homeland security will have a USPS hearing next Wednesday, so who knows, this may not be set in stone...

No Saturday delivery is fine. They could also cut back on some of the post offices. I live on a rural area, admittedly where 3 counties and 4 towns intersect, but there are 4 post offices with 3 miles of me, 2 are only about 1/2 mile apart. A few "main" roads around here have post offices every ~5 miles if that, mostly open for only about 6 hours a day M-F and maybe 2 or 3 on Sat. This is not necessary and a waste of money.

Christa

Most or all of the rural carriers are contract employees, and not the regular postal workers. If you have access to federal employee health rates, you will see that the regular government employees pay a lot for their health insurance, and postal workers pay very little. The funding of the retirement is ridiculous, and I know it's a big part of the problem, but I don't know that the postal service will be allowed to make the changes they need to, to survive.

I've wondered for a long time why they didn't deliver six days, but only deliver three days to half of the addresses, and the other three to the other half. For example, to my house Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and the other route Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. That way they could cut the delivery force in half. I get very little mail also, and only mail checks for one bill, and I do that at the drop box outside the local post office.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Who is to blame? Well, yes, partially us because we use the mail less and less (although package deliveries are up), but I place a good part of the blame on Congress forcing USPS to fund their retiree health care 75 years into the future and not allowing them to expand to offer other services as other countries do.
    Seems to me that forcing a government agency to actually FUND an obligation is a long overdue practice. Google the DoDs unfunded obligations to vets and retirees some day.

The USPS still has a legal monopoly on first class mail. They give away the store on "junk mail" rates. Seems to me that there's plenty of blame to go 'round on the source of their problems.

As to Sat. mail, who cares? Mon. gets there soon enough. If Monday's a holiday then wait 'till Tuesday!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

The funding of the retirement plan is a smokescreen. Yes it hurts but the reality is that the USPS is hemorrhaging money. This year they are projected to lose $16B. They have lost at least $2B for the last five years.

Its just not a profitable business model anymore. We really get very little mail as we try to do everything electronically.

We live in a very rural area and if USPS only delivered twice a week we'd be fine.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

They are closing our post office, will have to drive not 10 miles one way to get our mail at our next p o box, but double that.

I still write letters and send a lot of cards. The PITA is going to be sending packages. I ship to my deployed nephew and I tend to ship on Saturdays. What are people who work 9-5 going to do if they have to get packages weighed?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

2 members found this post helpful.

I believe po's that are open on saturdays now will stay open. And po box customers will still get saturday mail. Wonder how many ppl will buy boxes now ?

It is probably long overdue. More and more organizations will be going electronic for payment and purchasing (for those few who are not up to speed now). I only pay two bills on paper checks, and one of those I have not checked in at least 2 years to see if they do electronic banking now.

I do, however mail out cards each 7-10 days to various people. Because I don't live in the middle of nowhere and we have a post office building only 5-10 minutes away. There is another post office building on the way to the barn. I am more than willing to go there if I need to send a card out.

I do feel sorry for the employees. It must be a little frightening to think of being employed by an organization you thought would never fail.

@retirements: there are very few places that you can accrue a retirement anymore. The Feds and many of the states are taking a hard look at retirement packages and are going to increase the % employees contribute and/or go to employee donated only. They may offer a 401K or something but they won't match the funds like they do now. People are going to become responsible for their retirements themselves.

I also think that the ripple effect of that will be that children go to college/higher ed online, and live at home or very nearby to make it work. I also think many will work from home via the internet. All of that will directly and negatively impact the USPS.

I hate to see anyone losing their jobs but I realize that things change and USPS needs to moderize. We live in a rural area, mostly agricultural, not densely poplulated and there are probably 7 post offices within a 15 mile radius of our house. That is just too many serving too few people.

Annoys me. As a business owner who often ships low(er) value items, postal service priority mail is the fastest, cheapest way to get it there and one of the big pluses was that, if the package was gonna arrive on a saturday, the customer would get it on a saturday without having to pay some ridonkulus fedex charge. It is obviously not a dealbreaker but punishing people who are actually giving them money irritates me.

How about we tax junk mail that everyone throws out anyway?

I'll still ship postal service but now I'll have to add a fedex option for ~3x the price and I'm not sure my customers will appreciate that since it will cost more and get there slower. Oh well.

3 members found this post helpful.