The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Interesting how they say no Jazz or Sandro Hit breeding...
    I LOVE my Chickens!

1 members found this post helpful.

I hate when people exclude specific bloodlines. You want an international horse and yet you exclude the top sire of international GP horses? I get they have a reputation but there are Jazz and SH offspring that are super rideable. Weird.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Agreed Donella ... wouldn't it be better to look at the individual horse rather than to wipe out the number one sire of Grand Prix horses in one fell swoop!

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I hate when people exclude specific bloodlines. You want an international horse and yet you exclude the top sire of international GP horses? I get they have a reputation but there are Jazz and SH offspring that are super rideable. Weird.
    I don't understand the young horse FEI prospect age requirement. If a horse is between 6 and 9 years old, they should already be well on their way to FEI, and performing FEI by 9. I consider a FEI prospect to be younger than 6. I also don't like the blanket refusal to look at Jazz and Sandro Hit offspring. Shakespeare RSF is the most rideable horse I have ever bred, as are his offspring, and Jazz isn't for the poor rider, but his track record for producing FEI horses is undeniable.
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
    Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
    Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I get they have a reputation but there are Jazz and SH offspring that are super rideable. Weird.
    Maybe rideable isn't the issue.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I am wondering how many BREEDERS have 6-9 y/o "international quality" horses. Most breeders want to sell their youngsters as soon as possible, and not spend the time and money to keep them around and in training for that many years. Seems only those with a good sized facility so they don't get squeezed for room to house "training horses" along with mares and growing youngsters, AND have in-house trainers, would keep such horses around. Even then, those horses are costing them $$$$ they may never recover unless the horse is a true superstar in the making, but they must worry every single day that the horse may get injured.

That said, I know a couple people that have been contacted directly by Lionshare to ask about young horses they may have.

At the very least it is an opportunity to put American bred youngstock in front of people who may never have heard of your program but may file away the info for future use. For free.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't understand the young horse FEI prospect age requirement. If a horse is between 6 and 9 years old, they should already be well on their way to FEI, and performing FEI by 9

Ha, yes, that too!
    www.svhanoverians.com

I am wondering how many BREEDERS have 6-9 y/o "international quality" horses. Most breeders want to sell their youngsters as soon as possible, and not spend the time and money to keep them around and in training for that many years. Seems only those with a good sized facility so they don't get squeezed for room to house "training horses" along with mares and growing youngsters, AND have in-house trainers, would keep such horses around. Even then, those horses are costing them $$$$ they may never recover unless the horse is a true superstar in the making, but they must worry every single day that the horse may get injured.

That is true for most breeders but there are some out there I would assume? We have kept quite a few of mine with the plans to develop them into FEI horses. To me this is what breeding is all about. If I had to sell them as foals I wouldn't breed.
    www.svhanoverians.com

I can understand the aversion to Jazz more than the aversion to SH, and I agree the age thing seems off. But it's encouraging to see them looking to shop in the US.

Wierd though that this was deemed worthy of an article by eurodressage. The cynic in me is betting more than one BNT is wishing they'd thought of this tactic first.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    I am wondering how many BREEDERS have 6-9 y/o "international quality" horses. Most breeders want to sell their youngsters as soon as possible, and not spend the time and money to keep them around and in training for that many years. Seems only those with a good sized facility so they don't get squeezed for room to house "training horses" along with mares and growing youngsters, AND have in-house trainers, would keep such horses around. Even then, those horses are costing them $$$$ they may never recover unless the horse is a true superstar in the making, but they must worry every single day that the horse may get injured:
    I agree that this is the case most of the time however, I can say that I sold one of mine as at 7. Although she was not technically "for sale", it was the right buyer and all worked out well