The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Resume/Cover letter question

My husband's boss and owner of the company died in a plane wreck a few weeks ago. The company has decided to shut down and I am working on finding him a new job-he was only at this job for a year and a half and was very successful at it but of course it looks like a short time. How do I account for the circumstances so it doesn't look inaccurate? He had been at his prior job for 22 years so he's a long term employee, it was the company that didn't last...

Thoughts? PM if OT gets shut down and you have any good advice for us, I'm freaking out a little here since it will require a move...

Thank you!

Under "reason for leaving" which a lot of companies have on applications or questionaires or ask in an interview, or put on the resume, indicate the company shut down. (It'll also explain why calling them directly for a reference may be difficult.) If they want details, they'll ask, but he wouldn't be the first person whose company folded.

In this job market, 18 months is not an incredibly short period of time. I don't think it would prevent him from getting called into an interview if a company was otherwise interested. During the interview, he can explain his reason for leaving - it is quite straightforward, after all. It would also be beneficial if someone from the former company is one of his references.

I don't have the death accounted for on his resume and for the next month or so he is still working there...I wasn't sure how to put the "end date" -pending?

In the cover letter I have a line about circumstances causing him to have to look again...I haven't found just the right words yet but I want it clear that he was doing very very well and was loyal to the company. He does have many solid references from the company and had won two awards there so it's good, I just don't want him to get passed over if I don't word it just so...

Didn't expect to be doing this! Life is unpredictable.

Thank you!

OP, what you just wrote here would be good in a cover letter. Plus it shows his committment to working till the company actually closes the door. Be straight forward and you will be fine. You may want to put something about, due to the death of the owner, company X is winding down, closing shop, etc.

Good luck!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

2 members found this post helpful.

Good point, Paradox, thanks for putting words around it!

I wouldn't even bother explaining it, personally. People leave jobs all the time; it doesn't automatically imply they are disloyal or bad employees! If a prospective employee asks, then he can tell them why.

The main thing is to craft a specific cover letter and resume for each job he applies to and make sure to cover off everything they ask for in the job description. You want to make him as appealing as you can because of his skills. You can say something like "dedicated and hard working" to indicate he isn't likely to quit after being hired.

On the resume, I put "to present" if I am still working while looking for new work. E.g. February 2012 to present.

1 members found this post helpful.

Agree with Lilypad, there is no need to explain anything. 18 months at a job is not a problem these days. The days of long term employment are gone for most of us and many people change jobs frequently.

If they want to know why he is leaving, that would come up in an interview, where it could be easily explained.

You are writing a letter to earn a new spot, not to explain why you aren't staying where you are now.

He was at ______ for a LONG time. You relocated to take the position he's in now, that shows on his resume. You should indicate on the resume October 2012- present. On the resume you list his accomplishments and awards. In the LETTER you talk about how he's a good fit for the NEW role. You don't mention anything about why you're leaving the current one- that makes it look like you're just trying to get any job, not THIS job. Does that make sense?

Yep, makes sense... hadn't looked at it from that angle either, kat. At least I don't have to change anything, that's exactly how it is all set up now. I just started double-guessing myself.

bleh-I had hoped I was done with resume writing in October 2011.

I am doing new material for each possibility. It's a full time job for me to find him a full time job!

Thanks folks!

As someone who read lots of resumes in my past life; I would explain it. I would put October 2012-present on the resume, and would put a brief sentence in the cover letter -- because if he loved his job, I would want other employers to know that he's not looking for something "different". I would probably say something to the effect of "unexpected and tragic circumstances have led to the impending dissolution of the firm" and "seeking an opportunity to continue in XYZ field, at which I have been a long-term, successful employee"....

(Just off the top of my head, so wording will need to be tweaked).

WHY someone was looking to leave a current employer is definitely something our office took into consideration. (Especially because we did not want to bring someone on who had higher aspirations than the job would entail -- lack of advancement opportunities is one really common reason people look to move on.)

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    As someone who read lots of resumes in my past life; I would explain it. I would put October 2012-present on the resume, and would put a brief sentence in the cover letter -- because if he loved his job, I would want other employers to know that he's not looking for something "different". I would probably say something to the effect of "unexpected and tragic circumstances have led to the impending dissolution of the firm" and "seeking an opportunity to continue in XYZ field, at which I have been a long-term, successful employee"....

(Just off the top of my head, so wording will need to be tweaked).

WHY someone was looking to leave a current employer is definitely something our office took into consideration. (Especially because we did not want to bring someone on who had higher aspirations than the job would entail -- lack of advancement opportunities is one really common reason people look to move on.)
    I guess I'm just anxious for the big fat void of unknown- If I word this badly, do you ignore me right out of the gate? In the OPs example, one straightforward sentence would be enough and leave no room (I pray) for misinterpretation. It's just slippery,but I do see your point.

I'm also anxious about it! In some of the places I will be sending resumes the company will already know what happened, small world and it made all the local news. In those cases, it's easier. I lean toward wanting to show that he was loyal to the company and moving forward with them and is disappointed for what happened but looking forward to the next opportunity.

(how's that?)

yep - you're a good writer, girlie- you got it.

Thanks-hopefully I don't have to do this too many times... Sad deal all around.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck!

I just wanted to say that my dh's boss died in a car accident some years ago. A small law firm and a book of business most of which were annual contracts, just a month before the start of the year.

In our case, it worked out - my dh & his partner took on the business and were successful. But it was really scary - I had to quit my job to be able to be home with the kids after school/daycare...he could no longer be flexible (e.g. sick kid, snow day, all had to be my job...he had to be able to fly out of town at a moment's notice)....it really was a terrible time in our lives, not even counting that dh lost a good friend.

I really wish you and your dh the best of luck....and hope he finds something that he loves.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, S1969-it's been a lot the same here, I am home with the kids now since he may have to leave town before we can go with him. It's so fast-it happened on December 19th and it just jerked the rug out from under us. My DH is a very very good employee with great references and we are willing to go where we need to go so I think in the long run we'll be ok. The short game is scary.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.