The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by AEM74 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, folks. Ditto is cute. I also like Chaplin...how's that for out of the blue? My sister was thinking of Charlie Chaplin b/c of the black & white reference. I kinda like it, though. I know it's a "people name" but it's an unusual one.
    Our first Old English Sheepdog was named Chaplin..sniff, sniff - I miss that boy. Note - OES's are black and white! So, I would be partial to Chaplin. And yes...he was called Chappy most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Our first Old English Sheepdog was named Chaplin..sniff, sniff - I miss that boy. Note - OES's are black and white! So, I would be partial to Chaplin. And yes...he was called Chappy most of the time.
    My first thought was "Kimmie loved her Chaplin"....

I love Chaplin!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Hollywood, how funny. I called you about this on my way into work this morning b/c I got thinking, "I think Kim and Mr. Kim's OES was named 'Chaplin'". Obviously, I hadn't seen this post yet!

Chaplin it is! Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Now I can stop calling him "no-name" or "the new kid" and start calling him "Chappy", "Chap" or "Chappers". Yea!
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

1 members found this post helpful.

If you are willing to go human how about Tito? Sounds sort of like "Take II."

Or:

Twofer
    Tuna
    Due (doo-ay), which could become Dewey
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    Personally? I'd wait till he gets home and then see what happens. All my horses end up being called things that have nothing to do with any of their names. That's why right now I have Pony Toes, Naners and Schmondor and ride Bean and Meatball. I also had Pie, Pokey and Stinky.
    Love this! I have Captain America, Batman and Robin, Hankenstein, Red Menace, Snufflelufagus and Panda Bear, Polar Bear, and Baby Bear (some have more than one nickname).

How about "Easel?" Close to Ansel, and goes with the whole paint/color thing (my paint's show name is Sharp Dressed Man, even though he's a field hunter and we've never been to a show!). Or if he's a little dopey and schmooey at home, maybe Dollop for his facial marking.

Default I Love Chaplin ```` Chappy ..... but "Hollywood" would be a fun name also !

I Love "Chaplin" aka Chappy ...... but

"Hollywood" would be a fun name too !

' Cary' (Grant) barn name
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Great suggestions! Thanks everyone! We're going to stick with Chaplin for a barn name and Take II for his show name.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Ours always seem to have additional names used instead of their barn (paddock) names - Pudding, Nudie, Baby...depending on their proclivities. So If Chaplin ends up being a champion at getting mud stains on his white bits, he could end up being Grub, or Piglet...

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post

I Love "Chaplin" aka Chappy ...... but

"Hollywood" would be a fun name too !

' Cary' (Grant) barn name
    My COTH name is after one of my favorite horses I've had the pleasure of owning...HOLLYWOOD! Loved that horse!

Amy, LAZ - totally off topic - I was going through some paperwork the other night and came across papers for Hollywood...he is 22yrs old this year!!

And in that same folder, I have pictures that Sandy W took of me riding Rebel at Twin Towers...lots of memories:-)

I don't get show names at all. Why does a horse need half a dozen names? A horse usually has a registered name - and a barn name - why does he need a show name? How do people identify horses when they are exhibited under a name that isn't really theirs? I show my horse under his registered name, and he has a barn name. To me that's the easiest thing. Barn names should be easy to pick out. He sounds like a lovely horse - after getting to know his personality something ought to stand out.

A horse usually has a registered name - and a barn name - why does he need a show name?
    Only one of my horses is "registered". Who is suggesting "half a dozen" names for horses? Most horses are not registered, so that is only relevant for the ones who are.

How do people identify horses when they are exhibited under a name that isn't really theirs?
    Who needs to identify my horse, other than I (who knows what they look like) and the judge? (who is looking at my number, presumably)
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Only one of my horses is "registered". Who is suggesting "half a dozen" names for horses? Most horses are not registered, so that is only relevant for the ones who are.
    This. My new horse is only registered with the ISHR - International Spotted Horse Registry - a BS, made-up registry if you ask me, one that was created so folks could say their horse was "registered", so I don't feel compelled to stick with his registered name. Plus, I hate his registered name. I also wasn't super crazy about his barn name. So, said pony has a new show name and a new barn name. New leaf and all. To heck with his registered name. Two names. Total.