The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nick Novak clinic

Anyone know more about Nick Novak? My barn is hosting one of his clinics soon and I'm going to be riding in it. I know he rode the TB named Malone, but not much else. Anyone else ever rode in one of his clinics or was ever taught by him? If so, what should I expect? One of his former students told me to be ready for plenty of flatwork before even thinking about jumping.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I rode in a clinic a few years ago with him and it was a really great experience. we did a good amount of flat and jumping. The clinic lasted a full two hours if I remember correctly. He's a great teacher and really funny.

I really didn't think it was all that great of a clinic - he didn't provide much worthwhile feedback, and wasn't particularly helpful with understanding some of the rider challenges. There wasn't much flatwork at all in my section, and I found some of the exercises to be incredibly unsafe - jumping over the gate and out the back door of the arena?? Who would want to teach their horse to do that?

I was just talking to someone who is riding in one in Omaha at Pheonix Eq. Center this weekend (I think?). So I can't really relay what she thought about it quite yet...

The two reviews are so different. How long ago did each of you ride? Just curious.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I rode with him about four years ago in a 3' foot clinic class. We were in a huge outdoor with lots of really neat jumps so we didn't really do anything too different but the clinic had more of a "derby" feel to it for me. I though it was challenging, but wasn't ever concerned about safety.

I rode with Nick quite a few years ago....at least 10, maybe closer to 12-13...can't remember for sure, but I was a young teen.

I remember him being quite hilarious. At the time he was a chain smoker, and he'd be sitting on a jump smoking his ciggie and then all the sudden realize the rider was heading to that jump and he'd leap up and scurry out of the way. It was pretty funny - and daunting as the rider - do you pull up? Circle? Jump him???

He was very kind to me although a bit crass at times to another girl who wore a low cut sweater. I think he called her "cleavage girl?"

I remember having a good time and learning quite a bit....

He competed in my area quite a bit and while I thought his form at times less than favorable and his position and approach different, he got along famously with some very difficult, very hot horses that I doubt other people wouldn't have been able to get around the GPs. Kind of a quirky guy who rides the special horse well. Rode a number of TBs, IIRC. Haven't seen him in a while but I've not been around too much either.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Hey, if you feel comfortable could you say hello to Nick from me. He would know me as Franny Siftar. I consider him my first boyfriend, about 40+ years ago
    thanks!

Franny, this is Laurie Pitts. I worked for Hans and the Clearys and Jacksons in the 70's. Nick was a hoot back then. Wonder how he has grown up...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Of course I remember you Laurie because the horses you groomed were always gorgeous! I was around the Wayzata Country Club and spent time at shows but wasn't one of the girls who had a fancy horse to show...
    I think Nick was showing that mare Finesse around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by TuckawayFarm1 View Post
    Hey, if you feel comfortable could you say hello to Nick from me. He would know me as Franny Siftar. I consider him my first boyfriend, about 40+ years ago
    thanks!
    Just don't get him confused with this tuckawayfarm, LOL. Love Nick, but in a very different context!

OP, enjoy the clinic. Nick has a great sense of humor and will challenge, but not overface you. He loves to teach and it shows.

Thanks! I'm going to be riding a 13.1hh Arab/Pinto/Shetland gelding in the clinic. He can jump the moon, but also can be a little snot sometimes. He's mellowed a bit more in his old age, but not much! LOL. I was going to ride a Hanoverian gelding, but he's been out of work recently. Asking him to jump 2'0"-2'9" in a 2 hour clinic for two days in a little over a month is a bit too much to ask of him. He's a big guy, 18.0hh, so jumping can be a bit hard for him because of his size anyways. It's too bad, because I like riding him.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"