The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ariat Monaco Boots

Ok so I just broke down and bought my daughter the Monaco's that she has been really wanting. They are lovely, and look great on her.

So my question is, how do I (or actually she) take care of them? What do you all use to clean and polish them?

you're only supposed to wear them at shows, for polish I would do sergio grasso cream polish and Kiwi wax polish, mostly just care for them like you would any other boot.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

I will admit that I typically just use URAD or a quick coat of Oakwood leather conditioner. But before the last GP of the year for my big guy I decided to splurge on having the shoe shine guy really make my Monacos shine. I have to say that I've never seen a look of such abject horror (<--this emoticon captures it well) when he went to wipe down my boot and saw what was coming off. He lectured me for the full 20 minutes it took him to get all of the crud off and polish them appropriately.

So all of that to say, you take care of them like you would any nice boots.....just don't do what I do by layering on piles of topical shine/conditioners Though with that being said, my boots are 3 years old and still going strong!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes you will find great deals on used Monaco's on Ebay. I got my daughter a second pair just in case something happened like a zipper breaking at shows.

I was just reading somewhere about the correct way to care for tall boots, wish I could remember where I read it. What did stick out though was to use a good cream polish, rather than something very waxy. I was happy to hear that since I only ever use Meltonian cream polish. And I use Neutral for the inside of my boots, never black where it will rub off on saddle and/or pad.

My friend's daughter has the Monaco boots and I have to admit they are lovely, and fit as though they were made for her. Definitely keep them for showing only though, or such soft calf will wear out quickly.

Water and a tooth brush to wash off dirt, cream style polish. No cleaners, it strips the shine. For a really high shine, light the polish on fire first and then damp the cloth you apply it with.

Just FYI next time you're looking for tall boots in the $900 range, I'd go with off the rack Parlantis before Monacos. They wear slower on the inside calf than Monacos.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

As others said, they are meant to be show boots. I've ridden in mine nearly every day on 3+ horses, for about 5 months now, and there are holes in both of the calves. That said, I love them so much, I'll just keep patching them until I can't anymore! The fit is amazing and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

I wipe them down with a damp rag to get any dirt off, then I use Kiwi black shoe polish, and buff with a soft cotton tshirt. If they are dry and clean, I'll use some conditioner.

I have had my Monacos for over a year and wear them every ride. They are holding up great!
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

We haven't had a pair of good boots here in years. I want to take good care of these boots so they will last. (Assuming she doesn't outgrow them in less than a year.)

She will only use the boots for showing and lessons.

What brand of cream polish should we use? Used to use Propert's, but haven't seen any of that around lately. Should they be conditioned? We didn't use to condition boots because then the polish wouldn't stick and they wouldn't shine up.

Quote Originally Posted by hr View Post
    What brand of cream polish should we use? Used to use Propert's, but haven't seen any of that around lately. Should they be conditioned? We didn't use to condition boots because then the polish wouldn't stick and they wouldn't shine up.
    I have been using Meltonian for 45 years, it is also sold in shops that sell high-end shoes. My custom Dehner dress boots still look gorgeous (got them in 1966 or 1967), when I took them to be stretched 10 years ago the tack shop was amazed they had not dried out as so many boots that old do, he said the leather was in beautiful condition. I attribute that to the Meltonian, as well as my father's diligent care of them.

I always use a cream polish and just wipe off dirt with a damp rag on my boots (which, mind you, are not Monacos). I can't remember what brand of polish I used but I found it at TSC for like $5. Does the job well and doesn't build up.

Personally, I wouldn't condition them... Monacos are really soft already, and conditioning boots can take away some of their "shineability."
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Do they run true to size? I currently have a pair of Beval Puissance that are on their way out. I'm a little worried the monaco's in 8 Tall will be a bit too short and am wondering if I should move up to the 8.5 size.

They run half a size larger than other ariats because of the square toe. I usually wear a 10 tall height medium calf. In Monaco's I wear a 9.5 tall slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    They run half a size larger than other ariats because of the square toe. I usually wear a 10 tall height medium calf. In Monaco's I wear a 9.5 tall slim.
    I had the opposite....I usually wear a 7.5 in Ariat (Crowne Pros and a few other models) and I went up to an 8 in the Monaco's. Same story with the Volants. And I also found them taller than the Crowne Pros. I used to wear a tall in most Ariat boots/half chaps, and with the Monaco's I take a medium height.

I think your best bet is to try them on before you order anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I have been using Meltonian for 45 years, it is also sold in shops that sell high-end shoes. My custom Dehner dress boots still look gorgeous (got them in 1966 or 1967), when I took them to be stretched 10 years ago the tack shop was amazed they had not dried out as so many boots that old do, he said the leather was in beautiful condition. I attribute that to the Meltonian, as well as my father's diligent care of them.
    Meltonian is the best product

Quote Originally Posted by countrcanter View Post
    Do they run true to size? I currently have a pair of Beval Puissance that are on their way out. I'm a little worried the monaco's in 8 Tall will be a bit too short and am wondering if I should move up to the 8.5 size.
    I found them to run small. I normally wear an 8.5 regular/tall in Ariat's and I take a 9 regular/tall in Monacos.

Quote Originally Posted by countrcanter View Post
    I also found they ran small. I am usually an 8-8.5 and took the Monacos in a 9.5. Even then they weren't comfortable, but boy did they look good. I believe they are probably made for people with slightly narrower feet than mine.

Meltonian can also be found at WalMart. That's where I got mine.