The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2014 stallions for pony mare

This has been my second thread about breeding my pony mare. I did not end up breeding her last year for a 2013 foal because I was still weary on the stallion selection. I am breeding for an eventer for my 14.1 pony mare. The stallion needs to be uphill, as she is slightly downhill, and he needs to be able to offer refinement. Her movement is very correct, and my trainer mentioned that her movement is as good as a pony that has been doing dressage all their life, however, I would like a stallion that has animated movement to add a little more "wow" factor. I have a few stallions in mind, Dakar VDL, Wellington, Wittinger VDL or Mac Geyver SL. I like Dakar's uphill movement, refinement and exagerated movement, but I am VERY reluctant on his size, and don't know if I want to take the risk. I also like Wellington, however, I don't know if he has too much substance for her. Wittinger is also nice, but he does have an unattractive face, and my mares face is very plain. Lastly, I think Mac Geyver is very correct, but I am worried he isn't uphill enough for her. My mares pictures can be viewed at http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/am...38402557373047
    If anyone has any suggestions please comment.

Can you give us more info? What size offspring do you want? Pony or horse?
    Bellefonte de Avalon is doing great in eventing now. My GRP stallion Burberry did quite well in the cross county part of the 30 day test and is a wonderful all around athlete and very typy.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Voyager is also a good eventing GRP if you can find any of his frozen for sale.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Quote Originally Posted by hluing View Post
    Can you give us more info? What size offspring do you want? Pony or horse?
    Bellefonte de Avalon is doing great in eventing now. My GRP stallion Burberry did quite well in the cross county part of the 30 day test and is a wonderful all around athlete and very typy.
    I would like the foal to be anywhere from 14.3-15.2 hands. I would consider breeding to a pony that is doing upper level eventing. I did look into vayager but I can't find his frozen anymore. I do like Mac Geyver as a pony stallion, and his offspring are doing well, as he did. Also, I am very interested in the pony Balou Star, and was wondering if he was offered in the US.
    Last edited by sporthorsegirl101; Oct. 6, 2013 at 09:19 AM.

You might consider *Ardceltic Art http://www.hiddencreekhorses.com/Fork_2012.html . He's been very successful at the Intermediate/CCI** level and has also competed through 4th level dressage. Great, correct mover, very uphill. He's 15 hds, and seems to throw height so you'd probably get a 'hony'. Excellent semen quality.

You might also check out what www.foxcreekfarm.com has, she has a number of GRP pony stallions standing, and also has a great inventory of frozen semen on ponies.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    You might consider *Ardceltic Art http://www.hiddencreekhorses.com/Fork_2012.html . He's been very successful at the Intermediate/CCI** level and has also competed through 4th level dressage. Great, correct mover, very uphill. He's 15 hds, and seems to throw height so you'd probably get a 'hony'. Excellent semen quality.
    This. There is another thread that was recently started on this stallion. He looks fantastic, especially over the cross country course.
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorsegirl101 View Post
    I would like the foal to be anywhere from 14.3-15.2 hands. I would consider breeding to a pony that is doing upper level eventing. I did look into vayager but I can't find his frozen anymore. I do like Mac Geyver as a pony stallion, and his offspring are doing well, as he did. Also, I am very interested in the pony Balou Star, and was wondering if he was offered in the US.
    I don't know of any other ponies at the upper levels, other than Art (I'm thinking intermediate and above). Maybe someone can correct me.
    If your mare has Connemara breeding, you may need to look elsewhere due to the Hoof Wall Separation Syndrome that he is a carrier for.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I would stick with a warmblood or warmblood type if Uphill is high on your list of requirements. Connemaras dont tend to produce UPHILL unless your mare is strong in that department already.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    I would stick with a warmblood or warmblood type if Uphill is high on your list of requirements. Connemaras dont tend to produce UPHILL unless your mare is strong in that department already.
    That's what I was thinking. If I were to choose a pony, he has to be very refined, and uphill. I really like Ardceltic Art if I was breeding to a thoroughbred, otherwise, I think my mare has too much substance as it is, she needs a refined thoroughbred type warmblood or german riding pony that's noted for being uphill.

What about Belafonte d'Avalon?
    Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

What about Mighty Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I don't know of any other ponies at the upper levels, other than Art (I'm thinking intermediate and above). Maybe someone can correct me.
    If your mare has Connemara breeding, you may need to look elsewhere due to the Hoof Wall Separation Syndrome that he is a carrier for.
    I have a pony running Intermediate: http://www.fadetogreyfarm.com/geldings/sparrows_owen He also has six half-siblings that have gone Advanced. Most have been in the 14.3-15.2 range, one was 16 hds. He also has numerous siblings/cousins that have run Prelim-Int.

There are also quite a few by Hideaway's Erin Go Bragh that went to Int-Adv.

There's a Welsh cross mare in my area that's running Prelim.

And this halfbred Connemara, Ganymede, by Ballywhim An Luan ran Intermediate too: http://www.acps.org/news/member6-10-12.htm

A friend of mine owns two full siblings to Teddy O'Connor, thus far one has run Prelim and one has gone Intermediate, both are 14.3.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

What about Chicco B at Fox Creek Farm? He is quite elegant and might give you what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    I have a pony running Intermediate: http://www.fadetogreyfarm.com/geldings/sparrows_owen He also has six half-siblings that have gone Advanced. Most have been in the 14.3-15.2 range, one was 16 hds. He also has numerous siblings/cousins that have run Prelim-Int.

There are also quite a few by Hideaway's Erin Go Bragh that went to Int-Adv.

There's a Welsh cross mare in my area that's running Prelim.

And this halfbred Connemara, Ganymede, by Ballywhim An Luan ran Intermediate too: http://www.acps.org/news/member6-10-12.htm

A friend of mine owns two full siblings to Teddy O'Connor, thus far one has run Prelim and one has gone Intermediate, both are 14.3.
    To clarify, the OP is looking for stallions, so that is what I was referring to. I think all you mentioned above are geldings and mares. Obviously there have been quite a few nice UL ponies. I wish I was small enough to ride one of those guys!
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

As of last month with respect to Connemaras/Crosses the top FEI (At least according to the World Breeding Federation/FEI) contenders both carry Glenormiston Breeding. Number one horse is Feldale Mouse sired by Domo Cavallo Praize and number 2 is a mare Tallyho Mystic sired by Glenormiston Jasper (Abbeyliex Finbar x Oxenholm Dulcinea) both are out of Thoroughbred Mares. Kind of exciting for me as our Mare Glenormiston Amelia is sired by Domo Cavallo Praize and Jasper is her Uncle.

I breed Connemaras and I love them---but I still think a Warmblood or other Modern type Sport Horse stallion would be a better investment for breeding your mare as far as what I read about your requirements and looking at the mare.
    Last edited by goodpony; Oct. 7, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    What about Mighty Magic?
    Is he available to the US?

I don't know if he is still breeding and haven't seen him in person, but I might look at Wicked Courtjester - he's a New Forest that seems very refined and athletic.

P. Wynn Norman has a full brother to Theodore O'Connor standing. http://sportponiesunlimited.com/Refe...Stallions.html
    However, I'm not sure he has many babies on the ground.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yes, he was even in a stallion service auction last year although it escapes me as to which one.

I believe Superior Equine Sires has him.

I have done alot of research on Mighty Magic. I love him as a stallion, although his offspring look "bland," does anyone have any experience with his offspring? Is there any really impressive offspring from him, and is there any competing? I know most of them are pretty young, and he hasn't had that many foals so it's very hard to tell.

I have also viewed a thread stating that Mighty Magic adds substance rather than refines, which is NOT needed for my mare. Does anyone know any Royaldik foals?