The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying to get my kitten switched to canned food....

I have had my kitten now for about 5 weeks - I totally love her!

She came eating dry Pro Plan kitten food and does fine on that. I picked up some cans of the same food and have been trying to get switched over to some of that.

She loves it! But no matter how small the amount I give her (even a teaspoon) it makes her have the runs. I am glad she likes it and would prefer to have her on a canned diet but I can't deal with the runs - I have to grab her every time she goes to clean her up so she doesn't get it all over my house

Is there a trick to this?? I never had this problem with my adult, albeit elderly, cats. Towards the end of their lives I switched their food all the time to keep them eating and we didn't have this problem.

It's been too long since I've had a wee one - she is about 5 months old. We did have a problem w/bloody BM's but some wormer from the vet cleared that up. That was a few weeks ago, she's having a little of that now, again, but she goes back in a few weeks and she'll get some more wormer. I just don't remember all this stuff from when old Murphy was a baby!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Have you tried some probiotics on the food? Although I would tempted to try a different canned kitten food to see if this brand is what's causing it first.

The only time I had trouble with kittens and diarrhea were if they had worms or giardia/coccidia.

Good luck! They are sooo active and can be so messy with diarrhea. Good thing they're so stinking cute

Try Wellness, just to see if a different brand helps. If you're limited to local shops that don't carry anything high end, try Friskies Classic - those are actually pretty good quality Make sure it's the Classic varieties though

reefy! is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well thank you rubygirl - that made really good sense, to try other brands. That was an excellent suggestion!

And JB, thank you for the Wellness suggestion. I have Petco and Petsmart w/in a few miles of home so I got that plus others to try.

The winner is Royal Canin kitten food. She wolfs it down and I'm up to half a can at a time (just the little cans) and no runs. YAHOO!!

It's been so long since I had a non-finicky cat. Both my oldsters were terribly fussy the last year of their lives (because they were in failing health ) so it's good to have a kitty that eats with such gusto!

As she gets older, I'm going to try my best to get her on a grain free food. I realize she's a piggy probably because she's a kitten but I hope she keeps her great appetite as she ages.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

yay! I absolutely love kitties who are so voracious

Yay! Piggy kittens are the best

I'm glad you found a food that she likes and agrees with her. I never tried the Royal Canin canned but when I had itty bitty fosters I would usually buy the RC Babycat dry and it was always a hit. The little pieces are soo tiny, I can see why they liked it - not much chewing involved. lol