The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I love the saltbox roof style, but consider a ridge vent if you do it! The hot air gets caught up there in the roof peak and can make the shelter hotter than the ambient temperature outside it. I have a fan in mine to circulate the air, but it really just seems to be blowing the hot air from the ceiling down on the horse.

I wanted a portable shelter because I put mine in a utility easement. On the off chance someone complains, I can just hook it up to the tractor and (carefully) drag it elsewhere.

For the fence paint... years ago in Florida we used black roofing sealer cut with diesel fuel. Probably not the most environmentally sensitive option. :O
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

2 members found this post helpful.

I really wish I could look. Anyway, we are ag land. It doesn't matter. I was suprised. It is only like a $50 process though. Well until they raise your property taxes

I have 10 acres. I'm not sure we will live here forever and a run in and fencing will appeal to pretty much anyone, but a bigger barn may not. I do have a 2 car detached garage (cinder block) that I am going to for primary hay storage, but I know how nice it is to keep a week's worth close by.

I'm wondering how much money you waste if you do a 14' run in and a little attached storage area (like an 8' wide feed room) and then a couple years later, if you decide you want to add on another stall/run in, you could on one end. Perhaps it is just much better to do it at once...I'm not sure.

Bluey, I have no welding skills, but there is a custom welding shop in town. I was just assuming a welded structure would be much more.

OP, here is another link I bookmarked--scroll down and they give price ideas: http://thecottageworks.org/horse_and_livestock_shelters
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonhunter View Post
    We're into our 2nd winter with the cabot stain and so far its holding up well.
    Did you spray it on? Or paint (brush, roll) it on? Thanks for the information, and sorry for the hijack!

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    Did you spray it on? Or paint (brush, roll) it on? Thanks for the information, and sorry for the hijack!

No problem. I used a big roller for the boards and a brush and smaller rollers for all the in betweens and the posts.

I will probably do the same when we stain the run-in sheds this spring.

Thanks!

Thanks!