The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pre-fab barn or barn from a kit? opinions appreciated!

We are moving and our new place has plenty of room for our 2 ponies, but no facilities. We don't have a lot of $ to spend (and not a lot of time, either) and I was curious about the pre-fab barns and barn kits I've seen online. My farrier recommended we look into them, but he's from PA and we are way down south where shipping seems to be cost-prohibitive.

We just want a small shedrow (2-stall) barn. But I definitely want it to be built to last.

Anyone have one? Or seen one?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Sorry if this has been discussed, but the search function was not cooperating today.

well, we used a "kit" for our pole barn (36 x 12). It was about $2800. We did have to pay for the concrete, obviously. My husband and I put it up ourselves, but probably a team of folks who knew what they were doing could, after the poles were in, put it up in a weekend! We were doing it after work and as we could. That barn is not going anywhere. We also "insulated" it with extra plywood, and painted it (inside). But other than that, all included. But we did have a skidsteer (OSHA would shudder to see how we used it) to help with reaching the high parts and roof. If I had to do it on my own, I'd do the kit for sure but hire a crew .

I just had a small pole barn built very inexpensively ($3200). We'll finish it ourselves, but that got me the roof, poles, dividers for stalls, and gables. It's 24x24. I don't think you could get a kit delivered any cheaper, and they were done in about 30 hours.

I agree if you want inexpensive and solid, go for a pole barn. If you are handy, there are free plans online for everything from 2 stall with feed room shedrow barns to more stalls with small indoors. If you arent handy, I wuld do like katyb said and look into having a small pole barn built. It's probably going to cost the same as a kit or prefab, but give you more room for your money.

Here's a link to the free plans I mentioned.
    http://www.freewoodworkingplan.com/i...418&topic=farm buildings

Or this one--scroll down to the horse barn section.
    http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/...st97.htm#Horse Plans

Sheila

In CA our boarding barn had 3 prefabs to choose from-- a barn with box stalls. Box stalls with attached turnout paddocks and then the long barn with what we called "the open air stalls" Front 1/2 covered under roof with an isle between( and stalls on other side) with back 1/2 of stall open and uncovered. That was basically 12x24 feet and really open and airy when living in a warm climate. This was 20+ years ago but the quality was excellent.

Where in the South are you?
    Would something like this work for you?

http://gobobpipe.com/horsesheds.htm

You can order those, or take pictures to a local welder and see what they would make some of those for you.
    Easy to anchor down.
    If and when you move, you can take it with you or sell it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm *super* happy with my Klene Pipe 12x24 shelter, and they do have frames for barns as well. Or, actually if you want a shedrow barn, they just have different options for the front so you can close it in. Look at the center top picture on their site:

http://www.klenepipe.com/store.asp?p...00&catid=19824

Hmm... mine is not the 'Maverick' style they have listed there, it is sturdier. I think it was called 'Wrangler'.

Here's mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1080347...7624790649688/
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Thanks for the links!

Of course, now I'm wondering if I should go for a bigger pole barn than a shedrow - maybe it would be better to have room for one more, just in case

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalJewel View Post
    Thanks for the links!

Of course, now I'm wondering if I should go for a bigger pole barn than a shedrow - maybe it would be better to have room for one more, just in case
    ROFL - now, you're doomed.

Yes, a minimum ideal barn, best bang for your buck, is to go for a center aisle, four stalls if possible, finish the two stalls on one side that will face the pens/pasture and use the other side for storage, tackroom/extra stall.

That would be a very basic, small footprint of 24' x 36' and room for expansion on the length, if you so desire, plus a wonderful place in the aisle to work with the horses, grooming, farrier, vet, etc. out of the weather.

That would be the most efficient use for all possible purposes you may have and won't cost any more than most other you can think to build, other than a basic open shed.

2 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I were able to build beautiful run in sheds ourselves for less than $1500 a piece. These sheds would have cost us over $5,000 each if we had pre-fab sheds brought in.

Pre-fab will save you time. Kit's will save you money assuming your talented enough to build and have equipment (such as augers) for putting posts in the ground.

Good Luck with your new property.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonhunter View Post
    My husband and I were able to build beautiful run in sheds ourselves for less than $1500 a piece. These sheds would have cost us over $5,000 each if we had pre-fab sheds brought in.

Pre-fab will save you time. Kit's will save you money assuming your talented enough to build and have equipment (such as augers) for putting posts in the ground.

Good Luck with your new property.
    How big, how did you build it, pictures?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    How big, how did you build it, pictures?
    *edit* I put the pics on a Public FB album here is the LINK*

The Sheds we built are 14' X 14' with a 2 foot over hang, board and batten wood siding, interior kick wall and asphalt roof shingles. WE could have saved more $ if we did metal roof but we wanted it to match our barn.

I have a center aisle barn but the farm I own did not have run in sheds and I'm not comfortable having my horses outside with out optional shelter in the winter and (especially) summer sun.

First I went out and priced run in sheds and almost died of a heart attack several times at the prices for these small pieces of crap that my horses would barely fit in. (most common size was 10'X 10')

Then I looked into (12' X 12') bigger size modulars that were still too small and very expensive (average price $4,000)

Lastly I went around and looked at farms with existing run in sheds taking measurments and pictures and decided that this was not rocket science and more importantly they have a 75% mark up on most pre-built sheds. Being a equine real estate broker I was lucky to have several farms I could go check out and size up their run-in sheds but I ended up using the same plan from my mothers horse farm. Her sheds were built on site by a local barn builder.

We are not builders or architects. The only reason my husband and I were able to do this was because the pre-engineered trusses make it almost idiot proof. You call your local building supply place and tell them the dimensions. In my case 14 X 14 with a 2 foot over hang and they order them up for you. They cost any where between $50 and $90 a truss. The rest is setting the poles, roof purlins and wall girts (sp?) and then choose your siding.

We are in southern New York State. We found a rough cut wood supplier about 2 hours north who had beautiful wide plank rough cut wood we hooked up our flat bed and picked up enough for two run in sheds and finished in a board and batten style.
    Last edited by hudsonhunter; Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: adding picture link

I would love to see them (particularly since you took pictures during construction). We are putting up shelter this summer and I am really torn on what to do, which kind of roofline, etc. Originally I was thinking a very simple 14 x 12 foot roof--3 sided shelter.

Then I saw this: http://www.shallowbrookfarmllc.com/runinshed.html and thought that was rather brilliant as well. Ultimately, as I am in the north, I would love a center aisle barn (assuming we still live here) but in the meantime I want something with a run in, a second stall or run in I can fence off (in case of a horse needing stall rest/restricted turnout) or maybe I use it for extra hay storage, or whatever, and perhaps a little feed room.

We also have to submit a design plan and have a permit and inspection for anything larger than 10x10 (or 10 x 12--I forget). Doesn't matter if it is permanent or on skids. So I'm leaning towards permanent.

OP, I am in a completely different part of the country from you, so not sure what is best. Sorry for the mini-hijack!

OOh thanks for the link! I will have to wait (can't get on FB on this computer) but will check it out tonight.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

These are some portable shed we make ourselves, that we can line the bottom 4" with 3/4 exterior plywood and had a few years ago about $700 in them.
    These are two 27' x 12' we put together in those cattle pens:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2-20-07481.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...o/Puppy012.jpg

I see similar advertised around here for around $1200 now.
    Any local welder can make those in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    I would love to see them (particularly since you took pictures during construction). We are putting up shelter this summer and I am really torn on what to do, which kind of roofline, etc. Originally I was thinking a very simple 14 x 12 foot roof--3 sided shelter.

Then I saw this: http://www.shallowbrookfarmllc.com/runinshed.html and thought that was rather brilliant as well. Ultimately, as I am in the north, I would love a center aisle barn (assuming we still live here) but in the meantime I want something with a run in, a second stall or run in I can fence off (in case of a horse needing stall rest/restricted turnout) or maybe I use it for extra hay storage, or whatever, and perhaps a little feed room.

We also have to submit a design plan and have a permit and inspection for anything larger than 10x10 (or 10 x 12--I forget). Doesn't matter if it is permanent or on skids. So I'm leaning towards permanent.

OP, I am in a completely different part of the country from you, so not sure what is best. Sorry for the mini-hijack!

OOh thanks for the link! I will have to wait (can't get on FB on this computer) but will check it out tonight.
    That link looks like a nice little shedrow barn. The drawback that I have noticed with that design plan most of them are pre-fab and have to be brought in on a truck and end up with only 10' X 10' stalls.

I've found one stall, in any style barn, shedrow or center aisle almost ALWAYS gets used for haybales, shavings bales or to store your pitchforks and brooms out of the aisle. It's also always nice to have a grooming stall, especially if you're going to go with the Shedrow barn with no center aisle.

Are you Ag assessed? In NY if you are a agriculturally assessed property in an ag district you do not need to submit an engineered stamped design plan for a run in shed but you do still need to submit a building permit, the fee's are waved.

Double check with your Ag and Markets site for your state.

In NY there are laws that protect farmers from the ridiculous cost and time prohibitions of hiring an architect to design a 3 sided structure IF you qualify as a agricultural property AND IF your building is used 100% for agriculture.

If you just have a little 5 acre farmette with a private barn and you want to put up a run-in shed the same protections do not apply and you will have to submit (as ridiculous as it sounds) stamped plans for a run-in shed.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonhunter View Post
    *edit* I put the pics on a Public FB album here is the LINK*

The Sheds we built are 14' X 14' with a 2 foot over hang, board and batten wood siding, interior kick wall and asphalt roof shingles. WE could have saved more $ if we did metal roof but we wanted it to match our barn.

I have a center aisle barn but the farm I own did not have run in sheds and I'm not comfortable having my horses outside with out optional shelter in the winter and (especially) summer sun.

First I went out and priced run in sheds and almost died of a heart attack several times at the prices for these small pieces of crap that my horses would barely fit in. (most common size was 10'X 10')

Then I looked into (12' X 12') bigger size modulars that were still too small and very expensive (average price $4,000)

Lastly I went around and looked at farms with existing run in sheds taking measurments and pictures and decided that this was not rocket science and more importantly they have a 75% mark up on most pre-built sheds. Being a equine real estate broker I was lucky to have several farms I could go check out and size up their run-in sheds but I ended up using the same plan from my mothers horse farm. Her sheds were built on site by a local barn builder.

We are not builders or architects. The only reason my husband and I were able to do this was because the pre-engineered trusses make it almost idiot proof. You call your local building supply place and tell them the dimensions. In my case 14 X 14 with a 2 foot over hang and they order them up for you. They cost any where between $50 and $90 a truss. The rest is setting the poles, roof purlins and wall girts (sp?) and then choose your siding.

We are in southern New York State. We found a rough cut wood supplier about 2 hours north who had beautiful wide plank rough cut wood we hooked up our flat bed and picked up enough for two run in sheds and finished in a board and batten style.
    Your run-in is adorable, but I want to know about your fence - the black wood. What do you use to paint/stain it? Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    Your run-in is adorable, but I want to know about your fence - the black wood. What do you use to paint/stain it? Tips?
    Thank Goodness most of the fencing was painted before I purchased this farm. The new fencing we have put up we used Cabot stain but since found cheaper alternatives.

I can't find a link but most Agway stores have a 5 gallon brand of cheap fence paint but you have to tell them a head of time so they can order it for you.

We used this:

Cabot Stain

But you can also use:

Tractor Supply Black Fence Paint

or

Home Depot 5 gallon fence paint

We tried the fence paint, and it isn't holding up well, and it didn't go on well either. I have to admit my kids (although they are 13 and 22, not babies) might not have done the best job on it. I think stain might be a better alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    We tried the fence paint, and it isn't holding up well, and it didn't go on well either. I have to admit my kids (although they are 13 and 22, not babies) might not have done the best job on it. I th
    ink stain might be a better alternative.
    We're into our 2nd winter with the cabot stain and so far its holding up well.