The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Facial hair - ewwww

OK - so I have a lip that I've been getting waxed for a few years now - and of course the occasional chin hair that goes crazy and isn't noticed until you're in the bathroom in the middle of a wedding or nice dinner. (I even had a nightmare the other night about having one over a foot long!! )

So has anyone had electrolysis or any other treatment done that can do away with these things once and for all? Frankly, it does take my lip a month or more to become noticeable, but my fair haired mother is in her 90's, and bless her heart, her lip is very noticeable, and I know would bother her if she could see well.

Am tired of paying every month for the lip - (have done it myself, but the salon seems to get everything...) and it would be nice to think it won't appear ever again.

My skin is pretty sensitive, and does break out afterwards if not careful - not sure how that bodes for something more permanent. And I do have my father's coloring, which probably means my hair will get darker and darker, and coarser and coarser.

Think we've had a similar discussion before, but for other body parts...

Experiences? Good and bad!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

My oldest had her lip, sideburn area done with laser treatment. She's mostly Italian and has the Italian facial hair curse. She loved the results so much she had the rest of her done. Legs, bikini area, underarms and even had her eyebrows shaped!

She has dark skin, but she does get rashes/has some sensitivity. She had some slight pinkness after treatments that went away shortly after. IIRC they also gave her a cream to use after that helped.

I don't know if there are different types of laser treatments and if some are harsher than others though. Hope this helps.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

OMG I have to get my whole face waxed every 2 weeks that's how bad I am.

1 members found this post helpful.

Laser, definitely laser. Electrolysis takes a lot of time and doesn't work nearly as well. It can be painful but the doctor can prescribe an anesthetic cream you put on before the process. A little spendy (procedure and cream) but worth it.

Make sure you use a good dermatologist, board certified is best.

My daughter did too....every other week for facial waxing. She hated it, drove her nuts. She said the treatment was done on her face as a one time cost that was affordable.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    My oldest had her lip, sideburn area done with laser treatment. She's mostly Italian and has the Italian facial hair curse. She loved the results so much she had the rest of her done. Legs, bikini area, underarms and even had her eyebrows shaped!

She has dark skin, but she does get rashes/has some sensitivity. She had some slight pinkness after treatments that went away shortly after. IIRC they also gave her a cream to use after that helped.

I don't know if there are different types of laser treatments and if some are harsher than others though. Hope this helps.
    Is there any cosmetic treatment your family HASN'T had? Boob jobs, gel nails, pedicures, laser treatments, so much girly stuff!

I get the peach fuzz mustache as well. I use a Sally Hansen cream formulated specifically for face. My skin's pretty sensitive as well, but as long as I do it in the evening you can't tell anything happened. I also like that it's super quick, it takes about 5 minutes and I can do it whenever I notice it's due.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I've thought about doing laser as well. Anyone know how much it is?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I'm a certified laser tech. If you have any questions about it at all, feel free to ask!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I've thought about doing laser as well. Anyone know how much it is?
    I'm sure it's different in different areas of the country, but the place I'm working offers great deals and groupons etc all the time.

An upper lip at my place is $99 per treatment. BUT, we usually offer anywhere from 3 to 6 treatments for the price of one.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I'd think a lot of places have specials and/or plans, etc. My older daughter did some sort of package deal/plan when she got all the rest of her lasered too.

Is there any cosmetic treatment your family HASN'T had? Boob jobs, gel nails, pedicures, laser treatments, so much girly stuff!
    LOL...Boob reductions! On the only 2 members to have boobs big enough to see. The rest of us are A cups!
    I have a pretty big family...mostly female too. I have 3 sisters, all girls of my own, 2 sisters in law, 11 nieces (all adults), 17 female cousins, etc.
    Funny thing is...I'm so not girly. I "girl up" from time to time because my husband gets all giddy when I do, LOL! But I've been girly on and off over time and have worked in girly type jobs in the past. But my heart is being outdoors...covered in mud, hay, horse hair, oil or camouflage.
    And my poor husband, complete opposite.

My youngest bought me a pretty necklace for Christmas. My oldest's new fiance said, "That must be your mom's favorite holiday present ever!" My daughter said, "Nah, I'm pretty sure that was when she got the SawZall."
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I get a brazillian every six weeks or so, hate shaving, hate getting bumps after the waxing (it's actually sugar...sugaring?). Want the laser on that, but can't imagine . Has to be uncomfortable to get all your no-no parts lasered, care to chime in Long Spot??? Thankfully I'm not hairy, it only takes about 20 minutes, but I just hate it so much!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Laser. I've done armpits, lower leg and bikini 3 years ago with awesome results, and now I'm doing lip and neck (those solitary but LONG and DARK hairs, boo!).

TheJenners, laser "stings" kind of. I've had it explained as snapping a rubber band against your skin, only it's the world's smallest rubber band because what stings is the tiny area of the follicle itself. It was barely noticeable when I did legs, but for the upper lip and bikini the sting was definitely there - it's a more sensitive area, plus for me the hair in the bikini area was also thicker/darker which makes it sting more.
    But I waxed for a long time, and waxing was worse.

TheJenners, Coanteen is right. Certain body parts are worse than others. And what one person may find stingy or even just annoying, another can find unbearable. Part of that I think is pain tolerances but the laser is also set on different settings for everyone depending on their skin type (heritage, skin color, hair color) so that adds to it as well.

There are plenty of ways around making a brazilian (or any body part treatment) bearable, though. We have wet wash clothes stored in the fridge and often applying one of those for a few minutes before is all folks need to be able to get through it. But we also sell numbing cream (both OTC and prescription) that can help immensely as well. People sometimes sit on an ice pack on their drive in, too.

People would get upset that we didn't have ice packs for their convenience. Until I explained if we did, I couldn't promise that what they were applying to their upper lip hadn't been used previously by someone getting a brazilian. The cold wash cloths is our way around that. One use only and they are taken away by the laundry service.

Anyway, almost all of my clients are able to get through it. I've got one or two criers, a few more who take twice the allotted appointment time because they need so many breaks, and only one who has decided they'd rater die than finish their treatments.

Almost everyone has said it's better than waxing, better than the pain in the rear of shaving all the time, better than the ingrown bumps, and are pretty darned happy with it.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Ho hum.

What's the average cost of that then? Love my lady I go to for the sugaring, just hate the bumps afterwards.

If you can find a decent enough deal, it will work out to be cheaper than regular waxing per treatment. And it's pretty much permanent.

So, what in the heck is sugaring? I've heard of it, but have no idea what it really is.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

It's a hot ball of sugar, the hype is that it doesn't hurt as much because it only sticks to the hair, not the skin. And it's natural...actually edible.

They are waxing guys now. Or at least trying to get the guys in to be waxed. What a hoot! As if anyone wanted a guy as smooth as an android's bottom!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Thanks TheJenners!

*Don't mention visual of someone eating it after it's been used*
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."