The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I think I read later that it is said uncommon. You are right...the tone in "We do not braid tails" is negative then.

But honestly...it is a schooling show. If I got a comment like that...I wouldn't have cared. Hell...if I got a comment like that at a rec show...I wouldn't have cared. It is not like it matters at all...
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 7, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Let's turn this on its head.

If someone took a horse with a dressage-pulled tail in a hunter show, how would you react if the judge commented(didn't penalize, just commented) that "pulled tails were 'uncommon' in hunters."?
    But the judge CAN penalize for that in the hunters if he or she wishes to. There are very few things in the hunters that are not subject to the opinions and biases of the judge. Besides, I think comments on a judge's card in the hunters are rarer than hens' teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

You know, I hate political correctness in its insistence that no one ever be exposed to anything they might find offensive or rude. Isn't letting it go and moving on a big part of being a grown up? I know that I see and hear things I personally find offensive every day. I know it isn't exactly the same thing but the spirit fits. Sometimes a sense of humor is our best strategy.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

11 members found this post helpful.

Agree with the above...

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    To braid or not to braid. That is the question.
    Or perhaps it is "Wherefore art thou braided???"

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    You know, I hate political correctness in its insistence that no one ever be exposed to anything they might find offensive or rude.
    You clearly do not understand the concept of political correctness.
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Nope. That's just FEI wannabe talk. They think it's all about the look and expensive clothes. .
    Errr no it's more about BHS training. There is no link between formal and expensive. All that is required is work, attention to detail and time.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Regardless of your opinion of the OP or braided tails, the fact remains that negative comments about perfectly legal turnout do not belong on a test sheet, whether it's a schooling show or DAD.
    You are putting the "negative" spin on it. Sounds like the judges on the board are saying that it was probably a helpful note at a schooling show. So are you the OP in disguise?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Where oh where has the OP gone? I had to read this whole thing because i couldn't figure out what could possibly go on for 5 pages re tail braiding...And just to add fuel to the embers, my mouth fell wide open when I read the tone directed at those who where trying to be helpful.
    At one of my first few schooling shows riding my ex hunter mare, I got a comment - connected to a mark - that I was 'perched" in the saddle. LOL,. that was a two point position muscle memory pushing its way past all my efforts to SIT the canter!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    You are putting the "negative" spin on it. Sounds like the judges on the board are saying that it was probably a helpful note at a schooling show. So are you the OP in disguise?
    How is it helpful? I'm sure the OP has left because s/he was piled on for thinking the comment was not only not helpful, but inappropriate, as do I.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    At one of my first few schooling shows riding my ex hunter mare, I got a comment - connected to a mark - that I was 'perched" in the saddle. LOL,. that was a two point position muscle memory pushing its way past all my efforts to SIT the canter!
    That comment was relevant and appropriate. Your position is judged.

If the OP doesn't return to address-mute point.
    But would be very interested in any comments regarding straightness.
    Braiding tails the hair can be pulled tighter on the side of the persons dominate hand, causing horse to carry slightly off center or carry a center bend.
    May have been a poorly or under worded remark, not actually meant to address turnout at all.

Quote Originally Posted by achcosuva View Post
    Or perhaps it is "Wherefore art thou braided???"

Or "Is this a braided tail which I see before me?"

Well, the royal "we" is a bit off-putting: It says "You're an outsider." If the comment was merely meant to be helpful, one would expect wording more like, "traditionally, dressage horses' tails aren't braided," or "You don't need to braid tails for dressage." Still, it's a schooling show, so who cares? In the same position, I would have thought, "Well, I know it's legal, but hey! I can save some work if I keep on doing this dressage stuff! No tail braiding! Great!!"

If there had been some negative slant to the scores, then a word to the show management might have been appropriate, but since there wasn't, I think it a non-issue.
    Last edited by Sandy M; Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    How is it helpful? I'm sure the OP has left because s/he was piled on for thinking the comment was not only not helpful, but inappropriate, as do I.
    The only thing people "piled on" her/him about was her/his nasty tone when people tried to respond. The rest of the discussion was educational. I'm glad he/she asked the question, but the rest of the fireworks were a bit of an over-reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    So slightly off topic... But oh god do I know this well! I didn't come from the hunter world but I'm an ex-eventer who much preferred jumping to dressage in my previous life. There have been several times in my dressage career where I thought I had my perching issue handled but it seems every time we start something new and challenging it rears it's ugly head! Right now my coach has relegated me to only practicing tempis without stirrups because when I have them I creep ever so slowly forward with each change. It is SO.DANG.ANNOYING!

Good Lord. The schooling show judge probably thought s/he was being helpful. I don't think s/he was expecting a psychoanalysis of the wording and all the potential interpretations. The next horse was probably circling the arena when the comments were written. It's true dressage riders don't often braid tails. It's just true. Make a mental note and move on.

3 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

It was unnecessary and thus not appropriate. Judges need to stop commenting about grooming and/or fashion trends. It's just stupid and unprofessional unless it is against the rules.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

silly horse - first of all I know my position was judged, as noted when I said the comment was associated w/ one of the marks. I guess my not so obvious point is that perhaps we should all look at these things a bit more lightly, and try to cut people some slack. Maybe the comment had a bit of an edge to it, but maybe the judge was having a bad day for some really explainable reason. But honestly after reading all this I can't help but feel that the whole thing is not worth more than a chuckle or two.......
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Its a reasonable comment. Schooling shows are the place to practice for a larger rated show. A judge making a comment that in dressage tails aren't (usually) braided IS a helpful comment if you want to match the common standard of turnout. Your score was fair. Judge made a comment regarding turnout that could be helpful for you. Get over your crappy attitude and ignore the comment if you want, act on it, whichever you want...it was a comment not a score. Heck judges write "NICE TAIL" on almost ever test I've ever had (hey...it stands out and it IS lovely...)

Glad you're not a judge.