The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Braiding the tail is fairly time-consuming. In the Arabian shows, many of them are cross-entered between hunter classes in which the tails need to be braided and dressage classes in which it makes no difference. Usually, the tail braid is left up for the entire show, and the tail is placed in a tail bag to protect the braid when not in the ring. Therefore, you will more often see Arabians with the tail braided, even in a straight dressage show unless the owner really understands the options. Personally, I would never braid the tail for a strictly dressage show because of the extra work involved. Manes are bad enough. However, I would never show with a pulled mane, or a roached one, even if I did not have an Arabian...well, unless the breed standards such as the shaved manes of the Andulusian mares needed to be honored. But, oh! I would not like it! Never had a tail braid affect a horse either. I think that is an urban legend.

I would not like getting that comment. I would probably ignore, it, but I agree that since it IS legal, a more useful comment on their performance would be better. And do we really think someone would go to a dressage show, even just one, and not notice there were virtually no braided tails? I would think then the individual could decide if they wanted to continue to braid the tail or not.

1 members found this post helpful.

It was the OP's first test and she wanted to report the judge for a turnout comment? (which in my opinion was clearly just meant as a helpful, schooling show FYI for someone who was probably obviously not an expert dressage rider)

My goodness, what is going to happen when she gets a comment on her performance she doesn't agree with? Try to get the judge disbarred?

Admittedly, I can be a REALLY oversensitive person and yet... that comment would not have bothered me in the slightest....

UNLESS perhaps I *didn't know* that braided tails were uncommon and therefore the comment made me feel *embarrassed* at my faux pas. Hmm, is that the case here?

2 members found this post helpful.

If it's legal, it's not a faux pas. Dressage is not a fashion show. Not defending or offending anyone here. But if it's legal, it should not be mentioned. Not worth getting upset over. But the idea of it's wrong because no one does it is not right either. If you enjoy braiding tail, and like the look do it. If not, don't.

I own an Appy/TB cross....she got the Appy hair gene.....so if her scrawny hair could be braided and someone made a comment, I'd be doing cartwheels. It is all about perspective.

As a scorer, I see judges comments at recognized shows and some -- not a lot, but some -- are inappropriate. I would not take it too personally, and if you feel compelled to comment to someone, I would talk to the show manager. You might feel better talking to the judge -- maybe if the judge hears how you feel he or she will explain what she intended with her comment...
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

3 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes judges make inappropriate comments. I once had a judge (at a regional championship) comment "Lovely horse but Apps don't belong in dressage." She didn't allow her feelings to impact the scoring; we were reserve champs. Nevertheless, the commentary stung. Sometimes judges just don't like something. I can understand why you might be a bit miffed, but in the end "it doesn't matter; carry on."

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    Sometimes judges make inappropriate comments. I once had a judge (at a regional championship) comment "Lovely horse but Apps don't belong in dressage."
    Seriously??? WTF is THAT? You can ride a mule if you want.

I am outraged on your behalf. I think THAT should have been reported.

Yep. And I was a Jr./Yr at the time. We did file a complaint, and talked to the judge, but there wasn't much to be done since she didn't affect my score. It may be petty, but from then on I avoided competitions where she judged.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Seriously??? WTF is THAT? You can ride a mule if you want.

I am outraged on your behalf. I think THAT should have been reported.
    One of my former trainers once got back a test with low scores, but nice comments. She was puzzled until she got to the bottom, where the judge had written, "Nice horse. Too bad about the color." It was a 17.2 hand palomino. Technically a mostly TB appendix QH, but he looked and moved like a WB. These days, I suppose it might be assumed to be a SWB! LOL She declined to report the comment, but the show management did.

Knickers are for horses, they are not for dressage riders to get in a twist. Why do some of you take such strong offense to general comments? Yeah, the one regarding the Appy was tight, but learn the lesson not to show under that judge and move on.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Default draft or no draft?

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    The point is that a braided tail shows off the horse's hind end shape welll and gives a neat appearance similar to the goals with pulling or triming BUT allows them to leave the top natural for the protection that gives in the field.

It is a personal preference.
    This...my horses live out 24/7 where it's cold and wet most of the year. I wouldn't want a draft up my a$$ six months of the year, so I leave their docks au naturale. But all that hair fanned out over their rumps looks terrible in the show ring, so I braid it. Of course, I also do running braids in their manes too. If you're going to live dangerously in DQ land, you might as well go all in!!

Quote Originally Posted by achcosuva View Post
    Or perhaps it is "Wherefore art thou braided???"
    Oh please. WHYFORE not Wherefore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bats79 View Post
    Oh please. WHYFORE not Wherefore.
    You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.
    Since [wherefore] means "why" of course "whyfore" is correct. Holds up sarcasm sign.
    Last edited by eqsiu; Feb. 22, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

What do you think "wherefore" means?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

lol. According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

why-for | why for, adv. and conj.
    †1. rel. adv.: = forwhy adv. 3, wherefore adv. 4, why adv. 5. Obs.In quot. ?c1450 with peculiar construction, thus = ‘of which’.

as dependent interrog. adv.: = forwhy adv. 2, wherefore adv. 2, why adv. 2. dial.
    1787 F. Grose Provinc. Gloss., Why-vore, or For why-vore, wherefore.
    1801 Marvellous Love-Story II. 232 Some folks calls't Crazy Castle, but I never could larn whyfore.

** Evidently wherefore and whyfor mean essentially the same thing.