The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

WOW - three pages on tail braiding. Who would have thought!

Pinecone sums it up pretty well. It's a schooling show. The judge was probably trying to help you out as the vast majority of dressage riders don't braid tails. In fact I will say that the only folks I ever see with braided tails at dressage shows are generally folks who, well, look like hunter riders.

It's not illegal, it just isn't done. I would take it that the judge was just trying to be helpful.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieb Schon View Post
    Our first dressage schooling show. Hunter horse/ rider combo. Rider reads ALL USEF and USDF rules regarding turnout for both warrior and steed to assure proper equipment and turnout. USDF rules say "braiding tails acceptable." Judge writes on card "We do not braid tails in dressage."

Ummm.......
    Just making note. It was a schooling show. And there is no question posed.

(This is the first I've ever even heard of a horse behaving differently because of a braided anything, btw.) If anything mine knows she's "on" and performs with that extra something, but not in a negative way.
    And lastly it was our first effort and now I'm immediately hearing dissention about grooming and presentation?
    I don't care if braided tails are "uncommon." That is not the question. The question is for the judges out there. DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH THE USDF?

If you want to braid nothing then grow a set and shave both your horse's mane and tail.
    I did roach my mare's mane (not my first choice), but I don't need to hog off the tail to avoid braiding. That's why I'm not a hunter.

And I agree with the USDF... the rule was quoted above on page one. Braids are acceptable, ribbons and bows are not.

It's not about being marked down. We we were judged fairly. The question is, do the judges understand the rules? This situation makes me think , "maybe not?...."
    I'm like anyone else, and the appeal of dressage is the idea of an even playing field. This comment totally took me off guard. This is not meant to be opinion hour with the amateurs. I want a professional "r" or "R" judge's response, please.
    So you were judged fairly and in accordance with the rules and just wanted different criticism? The judge did his/her job fairly. No rules were broken. Even an amateur could read that.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    The judge was probably letting you just know that it isn't common....and thus you can spend your time and effort on things more important if you want...like reviewing your test, getting your mind in the game etc.

The judge did NOT comment that braiding is not allowed. That would be different.

If you want to braid the tail...than do it. But most do not. Same with eventing. There will be some braided...most will have their tails pulled or trimmed and a few will do nothing.

A schooling show is all about schooling...and learning. Having a judge make a comment like that is TYPICAL. At a rec. show, you probaby wouldn't get any such comment....but at a schooling show I would expect them as the intent of the schooling show is to learn more than compete.
    Agree. It was a SCHOOLING SHOW, which means that if the show management wanted to impose a rule that only grey horses could wear button braids and all chestnuts had to show au natural, they could. A schooling show is not sanctioned nor governed by USEF or USDF rules.

A schooling show is a place for new riders or new horses to get their start in the dressage ring. As such, there is more 'help' than at a recognized show (ie a judge may allow a spooky young horse more that the allowed 45 seconds to get passed the judges stand and into the ring, or helpfully comment on some of the 'unwritten' rules of dressage turnout). Try to think of it as constructive criticism, not as a world-ending judges-are-morons scenario.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I do it because I like formal turnout and like my horse to have protection when in the pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    What does that have to do with braiding for a show? You can show dressage in an unbraided tail whether the top is pulled or not?!
    You can, but you will not be formally turned out.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

One of my two cents would be to say that I don't know why hunter people braid tails because it looks so unappealing to me. I just don't care for the look at all.

The other cent is to say that this entire thread is why I love COTH.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    You can, but you will not be formally turned out.
    Is there someplace that indicates a pulled tail is formally turned out and an unpulled is not? I genuinely would like to know. My observation from DAD (and admittedly that's a small sample size) is that there were plenty of both. Pulled might be "in style" but is it truly MORE FORMAL?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

Such outrage over a comment that, honestly, means nothing. I think someone needs to lighten up.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

5 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Is there someplace that indicates a pulled tail is formally turned out and an unpulled is not? I genuinely would like to know. My observation from DAD (and admittedly that's a small sample size) is that there were plenty of both. Pulled might be "in style" but is it truly MORE FORMAL?
    Nope. That's just FEI wannabe talk. They think it's all about the look and expensive clothes. .
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

TROUBLEMAKER?

I hope that's a joke. When has it become trouble to have your horse turned out beautifully for the judge? I made that effort and I take pride in prepping my own horse. (This is the first I've ever even heard of a horse behaving differently because of a braided anything, btw.) If anything mine knows she's "on" and performs with that extra something, but not in a negative way.
    And lastly it was our first effort and now I'm immediately hearing dissention about grooming and presentation?
    I don't care if braided tails are "uncommon." That is not the question. The question is for the judges out there. DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH THE USDF?

If you want to braid nothing then grow a set and shave both your horse's mane and tail.
    Nice. Really. Not.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Such outrage over a comment that, honestly, means nothing. I think someone needs to lighten up.
    Exactly what I was thinking. The OP comes off as rude and just plain ole stinky.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

10 members found this post helpful.

much ado about nothing

4 members found this post helpful.

Regardless of your opinion of the OP or braided tails, the fact remains that negative comments about perfectly legal turnout do not belong on a test sheet, whether it's a schooling show or DAD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Regardless of your opinion of the OP or braided tails, the fact remains that negative comments about perfectly legal turnout do not belong on a test sheet, whether it's a schooling show or DAD.
    OK good, the thread makes sense again.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    much ado about nothing
    Darn! You stole my line!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Let's turn this on its head.

If someone took a horse with a dressage-pulled tail in a hunter show, how would you react if the judge commented(didn't penalize, just commented) that "pulled tails were 'uncommon' in hunters."?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

much ado about nothing
    A dream role of mine is Beatrice....such fun, snarky, Shakespeare! And I realize that this is completely OT, but really....how much more can we say that hasn't already been said?

much ado about nothing
    To braid or not to braid. That is the question.

A schooling show

Rules are clear

again, it's a schooling show

Judge comment was a bit off - giving advice in too strident tone? - but OP says score was fair

SCORE WAS FAIR

So WHATever. How many pages for outrage

much ado...

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post

how the hell is it a negative comment. All it said was "braided tails are uncommon". It could have been a damn compliment because the judge liked the braided tail. It was just a statement of fact....and a true statement. It didn't change the score. In my book...it isn't negative or postitive. Just noting an usual (although legal) turn out choice.

Honestly...being braided at all for a schooling show is a bit anal in my book. Clean and well prepared would be what I go for...I don't want to try to come off to others that I'm so much better then them by braiding for schooling. Rated show...of course. But for a schooling show....never.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    how the hell is it a negative comment. All it said was "braided tails are uncommon".
    Per the OP, it said "we do not braid tails in dressage".

Yes, that implies that the judge thought the OP was unfamiliar with the turnout of a horse for dressage, but I'd hardly call it a "statement of fact" since they are allowed and some people DO braid tails.

It's sort of like the judge telling a rider wearing a ratcatcher "we do not wear ratcatchers in dressage", implying that even though it's perfectly legal, it shouldn't be done, since the "norm" is to wear a stock tie.

Neither really belong on a score sheet.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Let's turn this on its head.

If someone took a horse with a dressage-pulled tail in a hunter show, how would you react if the judge commented(didn't penalize, just commented) that "pulled tails were 'uncommon' in hunters."?

Hunter judges don't give written comments. I think written comments are one of the BEST things about dressage schooling shows. Whether you agree with the comments or not, getting them and the written scores is the most valuable part of the experience.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/