The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Advantage Multi UPDATE. Emergency vist to vet

Anyone use this product? Ever had a dog develop diarrhea with in the 1st 24 hours of giving it?

Just switched from revolution, so I have no idea if this is pure coincidence or related to advantage Multi. I am awake at 4:30 am because my dog just woke me up needing to go out for the 2nd time tonight. The diarrhea started when I got home from class which was just shy of 24 hours of receiving it.

I will look at the pamphlet in the am to see if they list it as a side effect. I can't find any conclusive answers online just doing a quick google search.

TIA
    Last edited by Beethoven; Feb. 6, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

We use it on fosters who come in with mild demodex, and i haven't seen/built a connection with that and diarrhea. I'm really no help for this, sorry! :-)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Yea of course this wasn't a mild case of diarrhea. Just got back from the VTH for an emergency visit. I got home after class to find diarrhea in his kennel. Then while I was cleaning that up he started having bloody diarrhea. We gave him some SQ fluids and got him started on metronidazole. Hopefully he will be feeling better soon!

Now I am stuck with still not knowing what caused it. Not sure I am willing to find out if it was the advantage multi next month...
    Last edited by Beethoven; Feb. 6, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Bloody diarrhea makes me think Parvo.

Or ideopathic HGE, sometimes there's no trigger it just happens. Hopefully your dog is doing better!

1 members found this post helpful.

He does appear to be feeling better so far. We will see how the rest of the night goes.

He just had surgery 2 weeks ago, and was on antibiotics from that. There is a good chance those antibiotics really destroyed his normal flora and caused this diarrhea. Need to get him some probiotics.

I read the pamphlet sent with the Advantage Multi and diarrhea and bloody diarrhea are both listed as adverse effects, so that still a possibility.

He has a recheck on Friday for his incision, so it will also serve as a recheck for his diarrhea. I am going to talk to his normal vet about the Advantage Multi. I think I may not even try it again and just suck it up and buy Revolution. Not sure what I will do with my years worth of Advantage Multi, but I am sure I can find someone who wants it.

As for the parvo if he was a unvaccinated puppy or just a puppy in general sure, but he is 7 yr old dog. So, it would be highly unlikely, but of course could happen. Never say never.

We just did the GI tract in Pathology 2, so as he was having this bloody diarrhea the list of differential diagnosis was flying through my head.

Hoping he is on the road to recovery.

Jingles for him!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I'm in rescue, plus have several personal dogs. I have 12 here and have used Revolution for about 12 years on all of them, on a farm on 5 acres in the middle of the woods, in Florida, and never ever had even one flea.

Well my vet stopped carrying it a while back and I switched to Advantage multi. We did not have any diarhea or other problems, but what we did have within about 2 weeks after the first dose was 12 dogs and a house full of fleas. That was in October. We have bombed 3x, dipped everyone and gone back to the Revolution. Fleas are gone finally and so is the Advantage Multi.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Good to know. I think I am just gonna ditch it and switch back! We just get free stuff being in vet school and all and the revolution only gives 6 months worth, but it has been working fantastic down here. I don't love that the Advantage multi doesn't have tick stuff also. Ticks are already really bad down here as is Ehrlichiosis. So I already had a tick collar in addition to the revolution, so I was already on the fence about it in the first place.