The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tough Mudder. Done it? -- Update Post 30. Did it! Loved it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azQbi...e_gdata_player

This is my first year doing it and I'd love to hear from others who have done it before. I'm not so keen about getting electrocuted, but it can't be any worse than accidentally touching hot wire at the barn, right??

If you've done it before, would you do it again? Words of advice/wisdom welcomed!
    Last edited by Cataluna; Oct. 16, 2013 at 09:04 PM.

My sister did it last year. She really liked it, it's a really fun supportive atomosphere. Everyone helps everyone else complete. I don't think the electrocution was thaaat bad, not her favourite part though. If you train adequately you should be just fine. My 60 year old father is planning on doing it this year

I would really like to do one at some point. Need to get a group of friends together to do it though.

P.

A friend and her husband did this last fall, and both are young, Military trained, worked up to it slowly with training, and both finished. It was fun, and they want to do another one, but it is very strenuous, and requires a lot of stamina, and courage. I believe the whole point is to teach teamwork, and many people help others along. There was a wonderful video of a bunch of strangers forming a human chain to enable a disabled participant to get up and over a wall, and it brought tears to my eyes.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Do it!! You won't regret it. DH did one with his soldiers and they had a blast. I did a Spartan (which is the same concept, but shorter) and it was a blast!! Got disgusting, muddy, dirty, and was exhausted but I had a blast.

My BIL does Tough Mudders for fun, but he's kind of like a fitness God, so he doesn't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Not done Tough Mudder ( 5K is my limit) but have done many Warrior Dash and other MOB events.

Some had electric wire and no they were not as bad as a conventional hot wire.

Drink a lot of water after and pee a lot. bring several gallons of water to rinse off as best you can,. Sometimes, mud makes an odd skin reaction, like nettles.

I wash my shoes and togs in a bucket with hose, several rinses then into the laundry. Run an empty load after. Many people donate their shoes after, and wear their oldest shoes. Mine are ready for retirement so I am sure they will be left behind someplace this year.

I throw out my socks.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Not crazy - I want to do Tough Mudder so bad! I need to get in better shape though - right now, Warrior Dash is about my limit.

Definitely update and let us know how it goes!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I did one with my friend last summer, we had so much fun! we went slowly, but we finished! We didn't find the electricity that bad, but don't hold onto your team mates hand going through! I'm scared of heights and claustrophobic so she had to drag me through a couple spots. I found the arctic enema to be the worst (no one else who's done it agrees with me!) but so much fun overall!

Thanks for the responses, I've been hearing mostly good things ! My strength is pretty much good to go, but I'm only running 5-8km at a time. I'm so glad there's 7 months to prep for this!

Work up to it and be ready to be sore the next day I did one and it was great fun! You should find that the people around you are very supportive and trying to work like a team is key. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

I'm doing it this year. I've done a few Warrior Dash races, and other obstacle races, and I don't find 5k to be challenging enough, so Tough Mudder was the next step. Very excited and knowing the focus that's placed on teamwork, I'm happy to be part of it and know that everyone around me will help me finish, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataluna View Post
    Thanks for the responses, I've been hearing mostly good things ! My strength is pretty much good to go, but I'm only running 5-8km at a time. I'm so glad there's 7 months to prep for this!
    The running in tough mudder is actually in short stretches so you don't have to be training for running a great distance. The amount you are running sounds fine, I don't think my sister was running much more and she finished quite easily.

Might be doing one on May 11 if I can convince my trainer ( fitness trainer) to do it with me with one of her other fitness clients.

Was wondering about what to wear clothes wise. I've seen tips on to wear as little as possible since you are going to be getting muddy and that could chaff. Also to wear shoes with lots of traction (ones meant for cross country running). I only have my good set of runners ( not going in the mud with those! lol ) and a really old set of runners not sure how much traction they have left.

Fitness wise.. pretty good. By then I would say I would be running 10km ( have a 10km run 2 weeks after the tough mudder). Doing fair bit of weight training with trainer as well.

Thoughts??

P.

Haven't done the tough mudder but I did do a Spartan Race last year. Totally enjoyed it (well except for the 12 up and down hills that were steep with the final one carrying a 10lb bag of potatoes)!! Was dirty had stinky mud in places I didn't know you get mud but definatly felt a sense of accompishment after. Have signed up for the torture again this year! (they are very addicting)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    Might be doing one on May 11 if I can convince my trainer ( fitness trainer) to do it with me with one of her other fitness clients.

Was wondering about what to wear clothes wise. I've seen tips on to wear as little as possible since you are going to be getting muddy and that could chaff. Also to wear shoes with lots of traction (ones meant for cross country running). I only have my good set of runners ( not going in the mud with those! lol ) and a really old set of runners not sure how much traction they have left.

Fitness wise.. pretty good. By then I would say I would be running 10km ( have a 10km run 2 weeks after the tough mudder). Doing fair bit of weight training with trainer as well.

Thoughts??

P.
    From what I've been told, you should be fine with being able to run 10km straight, since it's about a mile between each obstacle. There is apparently a little bit of a rest period as you wait for your turn for some recovery.

I'll be wearing spandex shorts, lightweight shoes with great traction even when wet, anti-friction socks, a tight tank top and super grippy gloves. Like you said, basically as little clothing as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataluna View Post
    From what I've been told, you should be fine with being able to run 10km straight, since it's about a mile between each obstacle. There is apparently a little bit of a rest period as you wait for your turn for some recovery.

I'll be wearing spandex shorts, lightweight shoes with great traction even when wet, anti-friction socks, a tight tank top and super grippy gloves. Like you said, basically as little clothing as possible.
    And nothing NEW or pretty, either. Bring a trash bag to put it in afterward.

My brother and his friends do them-- some of them run a lot to train, some barely run at all. My brother (who is incredibly hardheaded) trained by going from not running at all to suddenly run/ walking 6 miles 2x a week and ended up with shin splints, but still survived. I think they spent about 4 hours doing the first one and about 3 doing the second one. Now he's doing the Goruck things which are much crazier, at least in my opinion! I like running, but doing PT with a pack full of bricks, not so much.

I am training to do my first Tough Mudder in July! Super excited and a bit scared, but we have a great team of people going, so it will be a time for sure. Good luck OP!

I know someone doing one in Ohio in a couple weeks. She's being going to CrossFit to get ready.

kenike has done it last year and probably years before.

Cataluna, you did the Mantracker episode, right? That was probably good training for it.