The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pennsylvania working student positions

Anybody know of any good trainers offering working student positions in eventing and/or hunter/jumper? Let me know of anyone you can think of, thanks!

My dear girl, why are you asking the same questions repeatedly?

You seem very excited and full of enthusiasm (and that is all well and good) but you really must get a grip on yourself and realize that the SAME people are seeing all of these threads you are starting, asking about the SAME thing.

ETA You are posting on a BB who's membership is primarily adult, not "teenage". Do you understand this? If not, then it is time for you to realize that fact and "think before you speak".

Most every adult on this BB was a horse loving kid. We do understand your enthusiasm and many of us are glad that the internet did not exist when we were young because it is easy to make yourself look like an idiot,especially when you are young.

That said.. Carefully read the answers that have already been given to you (by some very experienced and successful adults in the business).
    Last edited by skydy; Feb. 6, 2013 at 01:09 AM.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    My dear girl, why are you asking the same questions repeatedly?

You seem very excited and full of enthusiasm (and that is all well and good) but you really must get a grip on yourself and realize that the SAME people are seeing all of these threads you are starting, asking about the SAME thing.

ETA You are posting on a BB who's membership is primarily adult, not "teenage". Do you understand this? If not, then it is time for you to realize that fact and "think before you speak".

Most every adult on this BB was a horse loving kid. We do understand your enthusiasm and many of us are glad that the internet did not exist when we were young because it is easy to make yourself look like an idiot,especially when you are young.

That said.. Carefully read the answers that have already been given to you (by some very experienced and successful adults in the business).
    Sorry, but I am only asking for the names of some respected trainers in PA. I'm not asking how to make it or whatever. I just am asking for some references because nobody has mentioned anyone from PA, and I have only researched a few. Yes, I am enthusiastic. Thanks for your help.

Sally Cousins
    Sally Lofting
    Ryan woods
    Courtney Cooper
    Susie Beale
    Jane Sleeper
    Molly Rosen..? Married name
    Erin Sylvester
    Tara Ziegler

The list s of eventing trainers in PA is huge and endless and repeated on here many many times if you just do a thread search.......

I have to second the sentiment a bit. Enthusiasm is good. Inability to successfully use the internet to do some of your own research instead of just asking on a bulletin board makes me wonder how much work ethic and ability to get things done there is backing up the enthusiasm

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Sally Cousins
    Sally Lofting
    Ryan woods
    Courtney Cooper
    Susie Beale
    Jane Sleeper
    Molly Rosen..? Married name
    Erin Sylvester
    Tara Ziegler
    Molly Kinnamon is Molly Rosin's new name

Also, look here for a list of Area II trainers: http://usea2.net/ads/index.php?id=3
    working student positions do get posted: http://usea2.net/ads/index.php?id=38

In addition, there are: Dom and Jimmie Schramm, Justine Dutton, Shelley Heckles, Kate Hicks, Doug King (h/j), Tom Geno (h/j) and I'm sure dozens of others I've missed.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Adding to the list

Phillip Dutton
    Boyd Martin
    Bruce Davidson

Dozen more lesser known (the ones listed are mostly 3* and 4* level riders).

If you expand to within 3.5 hours....you hit a lot of people in MD, Northern VA and NJ. EVERYTHING is pretty darn close out here. From West Grove, PA (Where Phillip is and near Boyd and most of those listed) you are 3 hours to DC and NYC (obviously going different directions)...so you can get to a lot in this general area. But the largest concentration are in Southern Chester County, PA, parts of Maryland, and Middleburg/Northern VA (with a scattering of eventers in NJ--but a lot more H/J up there...you are less than 2 hours to the NJ Horse Park where the Jersey Fresh CCI is held from West Grove, P...so NJ has a lot as well).

If you start adding in Dressage...the list expands. Also lots of racing barns and fox hunting.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

So, I'm going to assume you probably haven't talked to your trainer about this yet? I'm sure she would be able to recommend people well suited for your goals if she thought you could do it, or knew you were even planning on doing this...
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

OP, asking if we know any good eventers in Pennsylvania is kind of like asking "Anybody know any good racing barns in Lexington KY?" or maybe "Big-name hunter trainers in New Jersey?" or "rice farms in China?"

Questions like that make me wonder about the level of your exposure to the horse world. It's hard to know who to recommend to you: if you're a walk-trot phenom at a local stable, it's quite a bit different than if you've worked with problem horses, or trained one up the levels, or done some substantial jumping.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for all the names. I will look into these. I actually do have a long list, scubed, of trainers I have looked up myself. I live close to Pennslyvania, though, so I wanted more options from that state than what I found, and I respect the COTH horsemen/horsewomen. If you guys don't want me to ask for your opinions or help anymore, I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    OP, asking if we know any good eventers in Pennsylvania is kind of like asking "Anybody know any good racing barns in Lexington KY?" or maybe "Big-name hunter trainers in New Jersey?" or "rice farms in China?"

Questions like that make me wonder about the level of your exposure to the horse world. It's hard to know who to recommend to you: if you're a walk-trot phenom at a local stable, it's quite a bit different than if you've worked with problem horses, or trained one up the levels, or done some substantial jumping.
    I haven't had much exposure to the industry at all. I show locally in hunter shows, and have never been to other stables. I ride 2 foot at shows, and train young horses as well. Unless that is what you consider a "walk-trot phenomenon". Haven't been there since I was a young kid..

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    So, I'm going to assume you probably haven't talked to your trainer about this yet? I'm sure she would be able to recommend people well suited for your goals if she thought you could do it, or knew you were even planning on doing this...
    Nope, my trainer grew up in the race world. She rode cross country but that's it for Eventing. Besides google, I'm completely dependent on all of you for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Horserider15 View Post
    Thanks for all the names. I will look into these. I actually do have a long list, scubed, of trainers I have looked up myself. I live close to Pennslyvania, though, so I wanted more options from that state than what I found, and I respect the COTH horsemen/horsewomen. If you guys don't want me to ask for your opinions or help anymore, I won't.

You are in Ohio right?....not really close to the part of PA you want. Most of the eventing, dressage and showing is in the Southeast part of the state. PA is a LONG state. I live in the area you would want to be and where most listed off are....and it takes me close to 6 hours to get to Ohio. I drive to Detroit (well north west of Detroit) each year to see family and over half my drive is still in PA...it takes me about 11+ hours with 6+ of that in PA!

You are probably closer to people in KY than in PA! And as close to those in VA.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 6, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Horserider15 View Post
    I haven't had much exposure to the industry at all. I show locally in hunter shows, and have never been to other stables. I ride 2 foot at shows, and train young horses as well. Unless that is what you consider a "walk-trot phenomenon". Haven't been there since I was a young kid..
    Sorry but showing 2' isn't very high. You would be better off not going to a BNT right now. Definately not a Phillip, Boyd or Bruce level.

I think you would get more out of going to a smaller operation. Someone who is still very good though.

2' hunters isn't going to give you much of a base to help you with eventing. It is a start.....but it is hard to say how good you are at that level. Do you have your own horse?

Besides google, I'm completely dependent on all of you for information.
    Oh, dear. What sort of leg work have you done to further your ambitions? Volunteered at an event? Worked at the track? Barn sitting? Can you hitch up and drive a trailer? Set jumps at clinics with event or H/J trainers?

Area 8 website is s good suggestion to look for ideas to broaden your current scope a bit.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Oh, dear. What sort of leg work have you done to further your ambitions? Volunteered at an event? Worked at the track? Barn sitting? Can you hitch up and drive a trailer? Set jumps at clinics with event or H/J trainers?

Area 8 website is s good suggestion to look for ideas to broaden your current scope a bit.
    Well, over the summer I shadowed a Dressage trainer, and I helped her out in exchange for a lesson. I only got 1 lesson, and she teaches hunters at another barn so I got a lesson over there....I work at another barn where I muck stalls/do chores....I ride 4-5 days a week at least on a bunch of different horses...people ask me to show there horses over the summer....I volunteered at one show...go to the Equine Affair. But other than that, everything is so far away from me, driving wise. (I'm in Ohio) Cleveland is one way and Pittsburgh is the over, each about an hour. But I have been saving for a car so this summer I hope to be able to take myself to some clinics and maybe some "A" shows to watch at least, offer to groom or braid...but thank you for the suggestion, I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Sorry but showing 2' isn't very high. You would be better off not going to a BNT right now. Definately not a Phillip, Boyd or Bruce level.

I think you would get more out of going to a smaller operation. Someone who is still very good though.

2' hunters isn't going to give you much of a base to help you with eventing. It is a start.....but it is hard to say how good you are at that level. Do you have your own horse?
    I know, it's not very high at all. I've jumped 4 ft on the horses that are able to do that. But the barn where I ride doesn't have those types of horses come in very often, we can't afford it. I do have my own horse, who I was showing at the 2ft level. He was still young himself. But he recently came up with dry hocks, and I will never be able to afford to take him to the height that I would like to go without a lameness. So I have decided to sell him in order to buy myself a car to take me around to some new barns, clinics, exc. So right now I am showing young OTTBs in the cross-rail classes at shows. It's all I can do right now. But I get payed to do it.

If you're between Cleveland and Pittsburgh you must be close to South Farm, which has a number of shows and HT every year. Stone Gate Farm is also not very far. Have you checked out those places?
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

You are in Ohio right?....not really close to the part of PA you want. Most of the eventing, dressage and showing is in the Southeast part of the state. PA is a LONG state. I live in the area you would want to be and where most listed off are....and it takes me close to 6 hours to get to Ohio. I drive to Detroit (well north west of Detroit) each year to see family and over half my drive is still in PA...it takes me about 11+ hours with 6+ of that in PA!

You are probably closer to people in KY than in PA! And as close to those in VA.
    I know, I could never afford to drive that far. I am looking into this for an opportunity after I am done with high school and before I go to college. I graduate next spring, 2014. I'm in northeast Ohio, but I would be looking for a live-in situation at a stable, possibly. Do you think that VA is closer that PA for me?

I know, I could never afford to drive that far. I am looking into this for an opportunity after I am done with high school and before I go to college. I graduate next spring, 2014. I'm in northeast Ohio, but I would be looking for a live-in situation at a stable, possibly. Do you think that VA is closer that PA for me?